Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #51
Okay so now I have 4 sets of lights! Since I have a power awning and as mentioned above with the retraction of the awning being frequent I decided that I wanted to simplify life. Here is what I came up with. 12V LED waterproof self adhesive light strip on a dimmer. On the end of the stip I installed a plug that self unplugs upon retraction of the awning so nothing to do except push the button. Sure I need to plug it back in when it extends again but being able to react at moments notice and not rehang anything made this a simple descision.

The other plus is that it is 12V with no extension cord so I can use them anywhere, LED low draw and adjustable in intensity. I went with warm white but I am thinking of adding a second color changing strip for when we need some change or I can always hang one of the other sets should we want. Nice having options.

I'll post some pics when I get it out of storage. Amazon supplied everything I needed for under $50.00 all in.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #52
Ok, obviously this thread has not been posted on in a while but I did not want to create a new thread. I just purchased the globe lights that hang from the awning. Link below

Does anyone have these lights and if so how do you like them and what would be the best bulb for lighting, energy and bugs?

Wanted to do the LED lighting but for some reason wife does not like it. Go figure.

Thanks in advance.

mossmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #53
I have those. We use the 40 watt bulb if i remember correctly.
The only things i don't like about them is storing them or removing them quickly because a storm is coming.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #54
Yeah I figured the taking down and storing would be the concern but I guess if the wife is happy than that's all that matters. Thanks for your reply
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #55
I have those. 40w bulbs and also use an outdoor dimmer switch to adjust as needed They work great. I also bought the cloth slide ins to hang the lights. One less thing to take down when in a hurry.
2012 267 BHS
2010 Ford F350 6.4L Diesel:D
ksignoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #56
Thanks for the input. I purchased the soft cloth awning straps as well. Do you leave those in or take them out before rolling up the awning? Are your 4G watt bulbs warm white, yellow,......etc. Also can you send me a link of the dimmer you have for them? Thanks ksignoles.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #57
Although they are tremendously popular, I've never cared for lights hanging from the awning. For my old trailer, I found a couple of solar lanterns with shepherds crook ground stakes. That trailer had a manual awning. I would pull the posts off the trailer sides and anchor them into the ground with a couple of landscape timber spikes, then pound in the crooks in front of the posts. The lanterns came with three different inserts: moose & bear; light houses; and stars. Found them at one of the box stores. The biggest problem was getting the stakes into the rock-hard ground in the middle of the summer. I'd generally tie them to the posts with twisty-ties to keep them in place.

My new Eagle has a power awning, so no side posts. My plan is to pick up a roll of the rope lights (either incandescent or LED) and anchor them to the side of the trailer (just below the awning) with the clear, adhesive mounting clips or strips. That way, I can have them on whether the awning is out or in. And I won't have to remove them for travel. Most are 12V with a 120V adapter. I'll probably just plug them into the outlet on the trailer side, but may try to wire them into the amber light (somehow). Should end up looking like the ones on the newer Jayco models.

2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote