Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #1

Outdoor Adventures Resort

When I purchased my RV last year I got a free one year membership to Thousand Trails campgrounds and I have enjoyed my membership there for the most part.
Now (and last year) I am getting calls from Outdoor Adventure Resorts and they are offering me a free membership for one year with a total of 21 nights.
The catch is they want me and my wife to come to a "90 minute tour" presentation before we camp.
Has anyone stayed at these campgrounds (8 in Michigan and 1 in Ohio) and is this a scam??
Thanks in advance for any help

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #2

No, they just want you to buy into their "time share" system.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #3

yah, the lady on the phone assured me it was not a time-share system and there are no other catches but it sure feels like a time-share type deal.
Will they still give you the 21 days of free camping?

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 04-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #4

We've stayed at Lake Arrowhead, Yukon Trails and Plymouth Rock, all of which are in Wisconsin. We did not care for Yukon Trails, the others are campgrounds that we regularly go to. If you like motorsports racing, Plymouth Rock is right across the street from Road America.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
No, they just want you to buy into their "time share" system.
I finally found some reviews of them on the internet...wow, many many complaints
Thanks for the heads up!!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 04-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
When I purchased my RV last year I got a free one year membership to Thousand Trails campgrounds and I have enjoyed my membership there for the most part.
Now (and last year) I am getting calls from Outdoor Adventure Resorts and they are offering me a free membership for one year with a total of 21 nights.
The catch is they want me and my wife to come to a "90 minute tour" presentation before we camp.
Has anyone stayed at these campgrounds (8 in Michigan and 1 in Ohio) and is this a scam??
Thanks in advance for any help
A few years ago we agreed to go to a one hour presentation in exchange for a week of camping at one of their resorts. We were up front with them from the beginning saying no way are we joining but they kept telling us it doesn't matter because we might be interested in the future. Since it was during the middle of the recession we figured what the heck, a week of camping for an hour of our time. The only way you are only going to be in there for an hour is if you sign the contract within an hour. Our salesman was our best friend within five minutes. Knew all our kids names (not with us they were grown) within ten and referred to them often. They start out with their most expensive package but when you say no they always have one cheaper. After about an hour and a half I was ready to sign just to get the hell out of there. We finally just got up and left. Funny thing, our best friend shunned us the entire week. We would pass and I would say hi and he would just look the other way. We did enjoy our week, it was a nice place. We met some nice people who did take advantage of their membership and loved it.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #7

We went through the entire presentation in Grand Haven since we've been there before the Campground was sold to Outdoor Adventures. Totally not worth it. Never even used the "free" days of camping.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
eazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #8

It's kind of cute. The have a 'South West' Region / zone and all but 2 of their camp grounds are in California. LOL.

The 11 states around and including Colorado don't have a single camp ground. Sounds really quite lame after researching it a bit. Looks like the normal membership costs 600 bucks.

If they are giving you that for an hour of your time, I'd probably do it...

My wife and I have gone to a dozen time share promos in Vegas for free hotel, shows, dinners etc. The *second* we get our promo item(s) we walk. I kind of enjoy messing around with these high pressure sales people. Just never give them your own personal email address or live contact info because they'll sell that info the second you walk out the door.

I can't believe there are enough people in America that are willing to support these time share scams... They can call it whatever they want, but that's exactly what it is at the end of the day.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #9

My Mother-In-Law belongs to Outdoor World/Thousand Trails. My wife is listed on their membership as a child. (This was years ago when they (her parents) got that) But my father-In-Law passed away. My wife and I use it all the time and everywhere we go that there is an Outdoor World, we stay FREE.
The only caveat is that once you buy in to these, Good luck trying to get rid of it.
My wife and I have gotten invitations to Sit thru these and sit thru the one hour. I am VERY GOOD AT SAYING NO! and I tell the sales person I will say no so if he/she really wants to save time just give us the free pass for being here and go hound someone else, because in the end, I will still say no. Sometimes they make us sit thru the whole hour and sometimes, they just give us the free pass after 1/2 hour. So when the one hour is up, I ask for the free camping pass and we are on out way.

Remember, these are like time shares in that once you have them, they are hard to get rid of.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #10

It is nothing more than a camping time share, but if you join today you can stay at any of our 9 resorts.... plus for an extra 149 a year you can join our coast to coast program and get great discounts across the US. Oh wait did I mention the 11k to join,or the 500 a year maintenance fee. But if you turn them down enough the 11k becomes 9 k, yes, I just sat through this at the Wapakoneta site a couple months ago.