Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #1

Screen door question

The screen door on my 2013 351RLTS has some little retainers on the outside of the door. There are four surrounding the upper screen section, and four surrounding the lower screen section. I didn't know what they were for until my friend called my attention to them this past weekend.

My friend has a DRV fifth wheel. It came with two very nice framed glass (probably plexiglass or lexan) panels that fit over each screen and are held in place by these little retainers. These panels allow you to run the A/C with minimal loss of cool air while the screen door is closed and the main door is open. They asked me why my Jayco didn't include them. I've never run across these panels, so I assume they were not included.

Were these panels an option? Should they have been included with my camper? Are they something I can order?

Thanks.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #2

My Designer came with these panels installed from the factory so I would think they could be ordered.

Get a supply of the small plastic retainers. They are fragile and break often. At least they are cheap and easy to replace, just don't tighten them more than just barely enough to do the job or you will break them.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #3

Or........you can go here http://rvdoorbuddy.com/index.htm
That's where I ordered mine from and I love them, don't have to shut the door when the A/C or furnace is on. Only if it's raining and the awning is retracted otherwise the blind on the door gets wet.
https://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/
Ken&Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:07 AM   #4
Site Team

My dealer said they were not std on my rig but could be ordered from Jayco for around $75. I did my own for less!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #5

I ordered mine through Jayco, but have since decided I could have made my own for much less. The curves on the top section are sometimes difficult to cut without breaking the plexiglass, but it can be done. I was fortunate that the inserts fit my 2013 Eagle Premier so I just took them off the old unit when I traded.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #6

I ordered from my dealer and they are cheap clear vinyl not plexi glass like a thought they would be. One push on them and the vinyl came out like a screen would. Not happy

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
I ordered from my dealer and they are cheap clear vinyl not plexi glass like a thought they would be. One push on them and the vinyl came out like a screen would. Not happy

That's great info. I think I'll get some Lexan and make my own.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken&Ruth View Post
Or........you can go here http://rvdoorbuddy.com/index.htm
That's where I ordered mine from and I love them, don't have to shut the door when the A/C or furnace is on. Only if it's raining and the awning is retracted otherwise the blind on the door gets wet.
I checked them out. At a price of $199 they want those panels far more than I do.

As others have stated, I can also make my own at less cost than that.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #9

I made my own windows this weekend. I got the material at Lowes. I didn't use Lexan because it was about 3-4 times the cost of another window material they had.

I ruined one sheet of the material trying to cut it with a jigsaw. That doesn't work. I wound up cutting with an air operated cutoff wheel. I used to use the same cutoff wheel to cut fender wells on race cars.

I am not completely satisfied with my end result, but I guess it will do. I just did a test, and the air conditioner cooled the living room from 92 degrees to 86 degrees in 30 minutes with main door open and only the screen door closed. It couldn't cool anything down under those conditions before.