Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Thanksgiving Camping.

We will be camping Thanksgiving weekend. Does anyone else camp then? And do you prepare the food at the house first, then rewarm it out there? I am new to this.

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
We always have a major family gathering at Thanksgiving, so have never camped that weekend. Where you prepare it kinda depends on how much food you need, and how many folks will be there, I should think.

2003 Ford F-350 V-10 Crew Cab 4WD Long Bed
2004 Jayco Designer Medallion 29 RLTS 5th wheel
Bill, Gayle, and Mindi (dachshund)
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
It all depends on whether you want to have the traditional meal (turkey and all the trimmings) or do something none traditional (steaks, shishkabobs, etc)
I have cooked a turkey on our full size BBQ at home and it was to die for, just cover it like you would in the oven and keep adding water (uses a lot of water) you can then handle all the other parts, potatoes,etc in the trailer and on a Coleman stove.
2012 Toyota 4-Runner SR5
2012 Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Lite 228

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Kathie we love to camp over Thanksgiving but the won't be this yr and last yr we didn't get our TT back until the day before so it was out to camp then also. Will you have hookups?

I do a little of both when preparing the meal. I bake the pies at home. Since pumpkin pies takes around an hour to bake I would rather bake it at home and take with me. We usually cook less than a 14 lb bird and we use a rocket roaster when we don't have hookups (bird is unstuffed), and if we have hookups I had planned on using an electric roasting pan to cook the bird this past yr (bird being stuffed). Potatoes cooked and mashed in TT along with a green vegetable. Gravy I would cook on the stove. Bread warmed in the oven. All in all we had great times and it was fun to make the meal while camping. But this yr DH is scheduled to be on call and we can't be far from home.

Here is a picture of the rocket roaster (it is like a vertical dutch oven)

People have also cooked a turkey with the garbage can method. But I would think the state parks would frown on this method.

Enjoy the planning and enjoy the holiday. Just think you can graze on the leftovers the next day and won't have to cook. :lizard:

Hope this helps.

Mary Anne
Joe and Mary Anne
1 18 yr old DD
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie Mega Cab 4 X 4
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Site Team
Last year we camped at Chippokes SP on the James River for Thanksgiving weekend and toured the Jamestown/Yorktown/Williamsburg area. We ended up eating our T-day dinner at Jamestown Settlement instead of back at camp as they had a buffet there which was really good. The kids had a blast on that trip. Not sure about this year yet.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Site Team
We are camping on T day but I can't say where until my reservations are confirmed. We never have done this so food is up in the air.

My wife ate Thanksgiving once at a cafeteria and says never again.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
We will be camping for the first time this Canadian Thanksgiving. Friends of ours are cooking the turkey in a electric roaster and the rest on the stove.
2011 23B SOLD
sunstarsmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
We usually camp on Thanksgiving. We prepare most of the food earlier and just reheat it. Between 2 TT we have enough burners and microwaves. For the turkey and sweet potatoes, my father in law brings a big deep fryer and fries the turkey and sweet potatoes. Its so good.
Vicky & Matt
2012 Jayco X17A
2004 Nissan Titan
Grunge Grown Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
We are camping at a campground close to Zion National Park. They are providing the Birds and Mashed Potatoes. They ask everyone to bring sides.

2011 Jayco Jayflight 28BH
10 F150
cbaka27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Sounds like there will be a lot of these.... there!!!

2013 Jayco Jay Feather X23B
2014 Ford Expedition
Horst Miracle Probes
Barker Power Jack
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote