Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #1

Time to start planning our trip

Well the dates are confirmed and now it's time to start looking for and booking sites for our next 3 week adventure. We have traveled many miles over the past 3 seasons with our 28DSBH and have made many memories. So far we have been right across Canada and upper Western US from Vancouver Island to PEI and Washington to South Dakota to Minnesota. This year we plan to go as far south as Custer SD and stay for 5 nights then head east to Valentine Nebraska, Davenport Iowa and up to Wisconsin Dells. If anyone has any recommendations for campgrounds it would be much appreciated.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #2

In (or just 12 miles east) of Valentine is Smith Falls State park on the Niobrara River. There are only a few RV useable sites and no hookups, but it's not terribly busy except on weekends. We stay there for a couple of nights in June with friends to float the Niobrara. It's a gentle canoe float, part through a wildlife refuge. Canoe, kayak and tube rentals are available in Valentine. We rent our watercraft from Little Outlaw on the south side of town on US 20/83.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

When in Wisconsin, go to Door County.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:45 PM   #4

Depending on what kind of utilities you're looking for, Devil's Lake state park is about 20 minutes south of the dells in the town of Baraboo. Baraboo is also the home of the circus world museum which is a great place to visit with or without kids. It's our home away from home. But the sites only offer electric, water and sewer are at the dumping stations, so that might not work for you. But it's a gorgeous park that fills quickly, reservations are a must. And down by Custer, SD the pig pines Campground was awesome when we were there last year. It's close to everything and the owners were some of the nicest I've ever met. Sounds like a great trip so have fun. .
Old 02-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #5

A couple more Black Hills Options

We've had good experiences several times at Rafter J Bar ranch campground near Hill City, SD. It's full service with sites spread out across a huge area. A mix of sites in the trees for shade or in the open.

Also, Custer State Park has several nice campgrounds convenient to the area. We'll be there in August.
Nodaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethcb View Post
When in Wisconsin, go to Door County.
Looks like it is a little further east than we will be going on this trip but certainly will make that a destination another time. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
In (or just 12 miles east) of Valentine is Smith Falls State park on the Niobrara River. There are only a few RV useable sites and no hookups, but it's not terribly busy except on weekends. We stay there for a couple of nights in June with friends to float the Niobrara. It's a gentle canoe float, part through a wildlife refuge. Canoe, kayak and tube rentals are available in Valentine. We rent our watercraft from Little Outlaw on the south side of town on US 20/83.
Great thanks for posting.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by secal48 View Post
Depending on what kind of utilities you're looking for, Devil's Lake state park is about 20 minutes south of the dells in the town of Baraboo. Baraboo is also the home of the circus world museum which is a great place to visit with or without kids. It's our home away from home. But the sites only offer electric, water and sewer are at the dumping stations, so that might not work for you. But it's a gorgeous park that fills quickly, reservations are a must. And down by Custer, SD the pig pines Campground was awesome when we were there last year. It's close to everything and the owners were some of the nicest I've ever met. Sounds like a great trip so have fun. .
I will look at Devils Lake as an option. The circus museum looks interesting too. We will be booking at Big Pines while in Custer. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Nodaker;493346]We've had good experiences several times at Rafter J Bar ranch campground near Hill City, SD. It's full service with sites spread out across a huge area. A mix of sites in the trees for shade or in the open.

Also, Custer State Park has several nice campgrounds convenient to the area. We'll be there in August.

Stayed 3 nights at Rafter J Bar 2 years ago. We had a great stay and loved the park. I would love to stay there again but looks like we will try something different this year and stay at Big Pines in Custer. We will be there the 3rd week of July. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #10

Well I couldn't get reservations on the dates I needed at Big Pines in Custer SD so we booked at Beaver Lake Campgrounds instead as they had availablity. The rest of the trip is good to go but I am having a hard time picking anything between Custer SD and Davenport IA. I will have 4 days and 3 nights between so could do the drive with two stops. Looked at Valentine NE as an option but just not sure which campground has the best sites. We don't like to freestyle and prefer to have our sites prebooked. Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL1967 View Post
Well I couldn't get reservations on the dates I needed at Big Pines in Custer SD so we booked at Beaver Lake Campgrounds instead as they had availablity. The rest of the trip is good to go but I am having a hard time picking anything between Custer SD and Davenport IA. I will have 4 days and 3 nights between so could do the drive with two stops. Looked at Valentine NE as an option but just not sure which campground has the best sites. We don't like to freestyle and prefer to have our sites prebooked. Any ideas?
About 85 miles east of Sioux City IA is Black Hawk Lake State Park - 89 sites with electric hookups. My wife and I plan to stay there in May. Looks nice from what I can see on Google Maps.

Iowa has a number of pretty decent looking state parks, so you should be able to find something that suits you.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote