Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Who winterizes your RV?
I do my own winterizing 635 86.99%
I get a dealer or RV service center to winterize 45 6.16%
I never winterize because I fulltime 9 1.23%
I get a friend or relative to help me because I`m cluless 4 0.55%
I never winterize because it never gets that cold here. 32 4.38%
I enjoy having frozen pipes, never think about it 5 0.68%
Voters: 730. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #191

Hi all new guy here. I recently purchased an 185rb baja edition. I am in the process of winterizing. I have drained the low point. drained the hot water heater. turned the valves. ran antifreeze through the cold water lines ( sink, shower, toilet), but when I turn on the hot water, nothing happens. does this sound right?

timmy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #192

Welcome to the forum.

No, it doesn't seem right but I don't use RV antifreeze, except in the P-traps. Hopefully someone will be along with better information.

My guess is that it could be the valves on the water heater are not set correctly and the water heater is filling. Take another look at the bypass vales and maybe pull the drain plug and see. That's all I got.

oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #193

Anti freeze froze

I winterized my 5th wheel in the fall and it was cold today here in Chicago, -10 with a -30 windchill. I checked the rv today and the faucet had a slush cicle coming out of it. The antifreeze in the toilet was completely frozen. I dumped some more antifreeze down a drain and it was frozen as well. How did this happen. I used 6 gallons of antifreeze. I did about a gallon per line which should have been over kill. My antifreeze was rated to -50. Any advice for what I should do to limit the damage? It is suppose warm up a little this week. I was thinking of rewinterizing it but I'm not sure if there is a reason to do that at this point.
jerm2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #194

Been a rough cold spell.
I'm thankful nothing is busted down here.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #195
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm2118 View Post
I winterized my 5th wheel in the fall and it was cold today here in Chicago, -10 with a -30 windchill. I checked the rv today and the faucet had a slush cicle coming out of it. The antifreeze in the toilet was completely frozen. I dumped some more antifreeze down a drain and it was frozen as well. How did this happen. I used 6 gallons of antifreeze. I did about a gallon per line which should have been over kill. My antifreeze was rated to -50. Any advice for what I should do to limit the damage? It is suppose warm up a little this week. I was thinking of rewinterizing it but I'm not sure if there is a reason to do that at this point.
Antifreeze will turn to slush in extreme cold. This is normal and is usually stated on the container. But it will not totally solidify and expand.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #196

As Crabman said, RV antifreeze does not expand like water when it freezes. It is the expansion when water freezes that breaks stuff... and also why ice floats.
oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #197
Site Team

Strange experience yesterday

I got a call from a friend of mines wife yesterday asking about a leak they had in the toilet on their last trip a week ago. They use the camper but could not use the toilet all weekend because every time they flushed it there was a leak at the top back.

I asked her if they had de-winterized it before going camping because it was in the mid 20's here in Dec 16 for a few days. Her reply was classic! "What is winterizing?"
I explained what I was talking about and she said, "Oh, that may be why the outside shower leaked also."

It's a little 19H Jay Feather. I went over yesterday and ordered a water module for the Thetford toilet and it should be here on Thursday. A quick inspection of the shower looked like a busted fitting on the hose.

Don't get complacent about winterizing, even the South!...

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote