Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Does a tv belong in an RV?
Absolutely not! I'm a camping purist and don't need interference from the outside world! 10 8.40%
I don't see what the problem is... 63 52.94%
I really don't care either way as long as I'm camping 46 38.66%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
We'll usually end a day of camping with the grandkids by watching a movie. If I can get a few OTA channels I'll try to watch the news and weather. Beyond that I'm camping to get away from distractions and enjoy the outdoors so I've put off getting Dish some other satellite TV at least until I retire and go full-time .

2012 KZ Spree Escape E204S
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8L, 3.23
Yamaha 2400ishc
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Site Team
Do not watch much TV myself when camping but when three boys are in the TT and need something to do, well there is a TV there if ya know what I mean....

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
New to RV per se. Just bought a Jayco Feather light x23j. All the comforts of home. Which I find a little disturbing. Noticed when we camped on Cape Cod over Memorial Day weekend with a bunch of other RVers, hardly anyone is outside. Granted, the weather wasn't the greatest. Had the dog with us so I walked him a lot and ran into few campers. The couple across from us in a fifth wheel, didn't see them for 2 days. I actually started to worry about them. Second trip to the Cape in July was hot and humid. Wife has come to hate the heat and was quite contend to sit in the camper with AC and TV on. Not my idea of camping. I was outside, had the awning out, 9x12 mat, couple of zero gravity chairs and tiki torches going. Got to meet my new neighbor when he came over to borrow my 5ft step ladder he noticed me on. We were admiring each other's rig and got a laugh as we both had just moved up from popups. That's what I like most about camping, getting out and meeting people. Hearing about adventures or ideas on where to go. That's how it was with all our travels with the popup around the northeast and Canadian Maritimes.
marshvegasmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
Last outing, great weather, it never got unstrapped. First outing of the season it rained most of the weekend so we watched some movies and NASCAR. It just depends, I am happy with a book on the rainy days and the wife likes to play board or card games, the kids on the other hand get board and want TV. The X-Box says home.
Dale, Karen, 2 Boys and the Girl
2007 Jay Feather 30U Some Mods
2006 F250 Lariat 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel with mods
Dwilcox353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
Your opinion - Televisions in an RV

I grew up camping and traveling in my grandparents class a. I was extremely lucky to be able to go to every state but Alaska and to many of our country's great national parks. Most of this in a 37ft class a with ac, tv, microwave, Etc, etc....even though we had all the amenities, we were not in the camper unless it was raining or it was bed time. It was nice to have during those times though. I have 2 and 6 year old boys and we absolutely have a tv with us while camping, but they r outside all day long and tv only gets used as mentioned above
2014 Ram 3500 SRW CTD
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
We are now winding down from our 3 month camping trip out west. We watch TV in the morning when we awaken with our first cup of coffee and weather channel. No TV during the day. At night we have been watching our home TV stations, recorded programs, and the Tampa Bay Ray's baseball, VIA Slingbox over the Internet. When we do not have Internet or local TV we use the Tailgater. Lately it has mostly been reading books outside, the best of all!!!
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #17
Gotta have my coffee and Robin Meade in the AM lol. OK, I really dont care, wouldnt go off and buy a new tv if ours broke but its good for the kiddies (and our sanity) on a rainy day. Ohh..also not bad to flip it to the Weather channel incase you see some nasty storm clouds/wind coming close. Im more for the TV than constantly looking/checking the cell phone while out camping. I usually leave my phone off or on mute.
*Currently trailer-less but shopping
07' GMC Envoy w/ P2 controller (current TV)
88' Chevy K5 Blazer (soon-to-be TV)
74' VW Superbeetle (1303)

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
Although I have one in the RV I only use it when snowbirding.. when I am in the mountains in the summer the last thing I want to think about is TV
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
140 days boondocking in 2016
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
We have the one TV in our WhiteHawk, but it's no deal breaker if we can't pick up any stations with the OTA. Programming these days (except for sporting events I may want to view) is the best reason I know not to turn the TV on. If I remember them, we may take a few DVD's to watch at night if the skeeters are too bad outside. Otherwise, find me a good country music station and I'm good.

What really makes me happy is when we're camped in an area where there is no cell phone service................:applause:
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
Your opinion - Televisions in an RV

I debated for a year or so before I did the above in our 32TSBH. Was it going to be too much? Would it be distracting for the kids in the back even if it was off? Well, so far, so good. Like others have said, there are times when we use it and times when we don't. Bad weather and at night are those times. Movies are a blast with our newly acquired bean bag chairs

2012 JayFlight 32TSBH (Elite, Thermal, Tech Packages, Power Awning)
2009 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Platinum 5.4L V8/3.73 Limited Slip, 6.5' Bed, Max Tow, and Integrated Brake Controller
Equalizer 12K
Forgvn77 is offline   Reply With Quote