Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2017, 07:01 AM   #1

Our first MH

Hello fellow Jayco owners. We are recent retirees and just purchased our first MH, a 2018 29MVP. Years ago we had a 23' trailer which we really enjoyed and decided to get back into the RV life now that we have plenty of time.

We have only had it out three time so far and seem to be getting our routine down.

Right now the biggest project is finding the right vehicle to tow. Currently i am carrying my motorcycle on an inexpensive Harbor Freight trailer. This leads to a question. i would really like to be able to carry my 475 pound MC on the hitch but am very concerned about the effect it may have on the handling of the MH. That amount of weight that far behind the rear axle must really unweight the front axle quite a bit. Anyone out there have experience with this?

Anyway, here we are and excited to get going!
TandBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #2

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. There is a great deal of expertise in the forum so if you have questions there are many who can answer. Good luck with your 2018 29MVP.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum from the other side of the country, and congratulations on the new MH, and retirement. It sounds like the tongue weight of your M/C trailer shouldn't be that much, at least enough to affect handling. That could probably be weighed with a bathroom scale. A 475lb. bike on a smallish trailer should be pretty well balanced. Our Goldwing ticks the scale at just over 1000lbs. and I can still lift the tongue and move it around.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

Carrying my MC

Thanks for the Welcome and comments.

What i would really like to do is get one of those hitch mounted MC rails that holds the MC sideways and the hitch bears the entire weight of the bike and the hitch carrier. I ran the calculations and it looks like a 500lb load on the hitch would add an additional load of 1,017 lbs to the rear axle and reduce the load on the front axle by approximately 370 lbs.

I haven't had a chance to drive across scales yet but i suspect that the axles, GVW and tongue are OK. I just don't want to spend the money on the hitch carrier until i have heard first hand experiences from someone who has actually done it.
TandBB is offline   Reply With Quote