Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
Originally Posted by squidmotion View Post
yes... i guess i forget that i've always had 'kid' and not 'kids'..... it's easy to concentrate on just one... good luck with sibs.... hehehe. :P
You haven't forgot, you have it very right. Look at you list nearly every activity has parental engaging. Its this interaction with them that keeps them from going stir crazy. Doesn't matter if it's a only child or a dozen.

Unfortunately this isn't real conducive to sitting around relaxing after a stressful week at work.

clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
As mentioned earlier, sidewalk chalk is a good "at the campsite" occupier for kids. My 11 year old daughter loves it so much we need to make sure the campgrounds (mostly state forest) have paved roads so she can draw. I was a little worried that people wouldn't like all the drawing on the roads, but really haven't had anyone ever indicate that, I don't worry about the other people any more. People that walk by usually stop to chat with her and admire her work. Have to look out for cars and bikes. I attached two picture of her work, yes that is me in the red shirt.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1208.jpg   IMG_1040.jpg  

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
Since they outlawed real lawn darts, a good game of Cornhole is always fun while camping.
MrKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Thanks for all of the ideas! I packed a bunch of different things based on suggestions and am feeling pretty confident that we can keep them entertained at least for awhile. Ryan
Me, the wife, three kids (Son, 9 yr old & twin 5 yr old girls)
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L 4X4 3.55
2012 Jayco Jayfeather 228
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Our favorite kid activities are..
Acrylic paint set to find and paint a rock
Mini golf clubs.. If you have your own you can play often on the campground ones.. Or get them busy designing their own course and digging olds.
Skipping rope.. Tons of uses.. Even the boys use it for tying up the younger ones..lol
Old fashioned puzzles.. 100 pc only so they can actually finish it.
A compass and a whistle..Hours of fun
A volley ball set and a cheap lightweight ball that can not hurt anything..

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
another thing to remember.. sometimes our national parks have EXCELLENT programs for our kids... tours, hikes, etc.

great suggestions in here... i will be packing the chalk for my little one...

i plan to build a 'washer tossing' board...

we bring the skateboards as well.. we have longboard models, and they are nice for quietly cruising around... not for use everywhere, of course, but the kids sure think they look cool (and they do), as they glide around.....

my oldest (now 21) back in the day....
Attached Thumbnails
P6010068.jpg   P6010020.jpg  
2009 Jayco 19H, 2007 Toyota Tundra....

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
We have tons of games/cards that are kept in the camper. They are allowed to bring DVD's for quiet time (after 9 or 10pm). The boys will throw a football & my daughter can't seem to get enough of her jump rope. This last trip, my hubby & I used a lightweight electric cord as a jump rope. She loved it! We also lucked out with a swinging vine located on our site. She loved that too!
2012 Jayflight 32bhds
CruizinKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #18
I just tie them up to 3 different trees. Make sure to get locking collars so they can't get out!! hey, it's good enough for the dog.
2010 Jay Flight 28BHS
2007 Yukon XL 2500 6.0L 4X4
Equal-I-zer Hitch
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #19
yeah, i hear you...

you put a high voltage neck collar on the beloved family dog, that's ok... you do the same thing to your teenager, and all of a sudden you've gone to far......
2009 Jayco 19H, 2007 Toyota Tundra....

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
You know...we never really worried too much about that stuff. We generally camp in Provincial parks with little/no stuff specifically designed for kids. After a few bouts of "I'm bored" they figured out how to entertain themselves and its no longer much of a concern. We also had a small tupperware container which they loaded up with outdoor stuff to play with. Space is limited, so they had to plan out what they were going to bring. And lots & lots of books!

When the kids were the same age as yours, we had very little lazing about - it was all about getting "out there" and enjoying the world around us. Hiking, exploring, biking...the whole bit! Embrace it all now - when they hit about 11 they may not want to be camping any longer! and that comes faster than you can imagine....

3 kids and Buddy the Dog;)
Victoria, BC

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote