Well the batteries had been out of my Garmin GPS45 for awhile, so I figured all my data would be lost... no big deal. Put in a new set of batteries a couple of days ago, fired it up and seemed to acquire satellites just fine. Marking way-points wasn't an issue either.......... but......,
I noticed today (prior to a hike) that the date being displayed was incorrect, like by years!! Did a little internet search and found that in many cases this can happen when batteries are left out of some GPS's for a period of time. So far I haven't been able to find a fix for my old Garmin 45 model. My concern now is the accuracy of other satellite data.
May have to look into a new GPS