Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
What's your idea of camping....???

I brought my camper home to winterize last fall....my retired neighbor came over. I told him he should get one for he and his wife. As he walked away he said "Darlenes idea of camping is a 4-Star Hotel"......true story

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
My DH is not a camper. He says roughing it is a hotel with out a wet bar and only gives you one pillow.

No I am NOT retired. I work full time.:D

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Site Team
LOL.... not sure if your neighbor is a a girl(wife) or a boy(hubby) thing... I'm guessing generational or socioeconomic status?

Both of us would gladly do a 4-star hotel if someone else paid (kidding), but for us it comes down to $$ and budget, AS WELL, as the experience we are looking for (that's the biggie)! That same four star hotel (even if purchased on Priceline, award miles, etc) will pay for several days in a resort campground (or COE, etc etc), and depending how often will buy the rv over years and provide opportunities for us to mix with the 'locals' and see parts of the USA/world that you might not in a fancy hotel (talking 1980's to present so it can happen). Don't get me wrong... we definitely would do 3-5 star hotels and cruises (we do actually), but definitely wouldn't pass up on seeing places around the US (or world - we do Hostels in other countries) you might otherwise only see in a textbook or brochure LOL
Denise, DH, grandkids, and two rescue pups
-2016 Jay Flight 29QBS Elite
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt

CLICK HERE to save 30% $$ or more off your next Jayco RV
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Amen - BTW....my neighbors are gadget people. I have never seen retired folk with so many gadgets.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
One of the reasons I was so eager to buy a trailer was to not have to use hotels for work any more than I have to... I love having my own kitchen, my own bed and bathroom... oh yeah, and no bedbugs. For me staying in a hotel and eating in restaurants loses its appeal after about the first night. But that's just me.

If my Jay Flight has full service hook-ups its a 5 star accomodation as far as I'm concerned. :hihi:
2011 28BHS
2011 F-150 5.0L with tow package
canuckowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Many trailers are as nice as a 4 star hotel, and you get to sleep in your own comfy bed, great mini bar fridge (lol) without the big price tag on each item, and if you want to sleep in you are more likely to be woken by the birds then by a vacuum ... even though we can afford luxury hotels... we love our camper more..

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Same here Ladywendolyn. When guest come they laugh b/c its more like a 4+ star hotel then a camper lol. But thats how we like it!
2012 32BHDS :computer time:
Jcatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Site Team
With 3 boys the hotel deal gets old real fast. Eating out every meal is an experience in itself, trying to pick stuff of the menu they like, and then trying to pay for it all. Seems like you spend half your time looking for a place to eat and then actually eating. I would rather camp in my own trailer any day and prepare our own meals, sleep in my own bed.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
Amen, Crabman - you nailed it !
2003 Ford F-350 V-10 Crew Cab 4WD Long Bed
2004 Jayco Designer Medallion 29 RLTS 5th wheel
Bill, Gayle, and Mindi (dachshund)
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
What's your idea of camping....???

We love the outdoors, bring the 3 dogs with us camping. They also love it, not being at home with a doggy sitter. We all love exploring new horizons.
The hotel problem was I cannot stay in there any longer than I have too in the morning. It was, get up, shower and go go go!!! My better half was more relaxed. With the trailer, we get up, go outside with the doggies, coffee, breakfast, relax.
I feel more at home in our own stuff and it's nice not to have to worry about wether the sheets were washed or little curlies in the bath tub :O
Our tastes were getting too expensive for our budget, were not content with Best Westerns etc...
TT's are expensive and so are TV and fuel but we paid $40.00 a day for doggy sitter, and $185++ for hotel and $80.00/day for food. It sure adds up real quick.

2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram QC 1500 Hemi
Sheltie, Chihuahua and Terrier/Chihuahua rescue
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote