Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #41

Big Time Disappointment - the rib rub (chosen at random) was way too peppery for our tastes AND the meat itself was too salty. Otherwise it was moist and tender. Six hours of effort down the drain.

On a positive note, a friends hungry son (who likes spicy food and LOVES ribs) hadn't eaten yet. We donated 3/4 rack to him - for when he gets home from work. That little scoundrel nearly burned my tongue & lips off last week with some mighty hot spices he found while on a cruise. In fairness he somewhat warned me, afterwards claiming it was too hot for him.

My two dogs had no problems with the couple of bones we threw their way.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Big Time Disappointment - the rib rub (chosen at random) was way too peppery for our tastes AND the meat itself was too salty. Otherwise it was moist and tender. Six hours of effort down the drain.
Wouldn't say time wasted, you did learn what not to do again afterall.

Try this, yellow mustard and brown sugar. I don't measure anymore but it's like equal parts mixed in a bowl and lathered onto the ribs before putting them on the rack. We use extra meaty Smithfield rib and make sure to remove the membrane from the bone side.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #43

Quote:

On a positive note, a friends hungry son (who likes spicy food and LOVES ribs) hadn't eaten yet. We donated 3/4 rack to him - for when he gets home from work. That little scoundrel nearly burned my tongue & lips off last week with some mighty hot spices he found while on a cruise. In fairness he somewhat warned me, afterwards claiming it was too hot for him.

My two dogs had no problems with the couple of bones we threw their way.
I had a similar experience. I found a rub at the grocery store from one of my favorite BBQ joints. I got really excited and bought it immediately. I used it on a piece of venison back strap wrapped in bacon, and the rub ended up being WAY too spicy for my taste, nothing like the rub on the meat they sell at the restaurant. It really detracted from the flavor of the meat (which was excellent BTW despite the extra spice). Last time I went to that BBQ place, I was going to ask them about it, but we ended up going through their drive-thru (don't worry, it's not a "fast food" BBQ place), so I didn't get to talk to the pit masters.

So far, my favorite rub has ended up being the store-brand stuff. They have a whole section of interesting rubs and BBQ seasonings, some with pretty big names, and my favorite is still the generic stuff! LOL! That is until I decide to make my own...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #44

My bride says we're gonna eat the left-over ham tonight (it was good but cooked conventionally - coincidentally with a brown sugar rub); so now I'm planning for tomorrow. Ooops, correction already noted, wife says chicken for Sat when the grandkids are here.

Now I don't generally like chicken (oven, slow pot cooker or grilled; fried is OK). With that said our recently closed BBQ joint did make some (smoked) that I liked.

So please share your best smoked whole chicken recipes; or do you prefer cut up chicken?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #45

Quote:
My bride says we're gonna eat the left-over ham tonight (it was good but cooked conventionally - coincidentally with a brown sugar rub); so now I'm planning for tomorrow. Ooops, correction already noted, wife says chicken for Sat when the grandkids are here.

Now I don't generally like chicken (oven, slow pot cooker or grilled; fried is OK). With that said our recently closed BBQ joint did make some (smoked) that I liked.

So please share your best smoked whole chicken recipes; or do you prefer cut up chicken?
We did one not too long ago. We bought the whole chicken, but I cut it in half and removed the spine before we smoked it. We literally just tossed it in the smoker. I think we might have added a little seasoning to the outside, but it was very basic if anything. We used mesquite, next time I will use something a little more mild, I have some other woods now that I'd like to try.

The chicken came out pretty good (not great). We used leftovers to make chicken salad, and WOW was that an interesting batch! The smokey flavor really added something interesting to the taste; it was really good IMO.

We had a couple BBQ places that did really good smoked chicken, and ours wasn't nearly as good as those unfortunately.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #46

We always marinate chicken and turkeys in a saltwater brine overnight before we smoke it. Burgers are also one of our favourites.

Here is the Turducken we did at Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0257.jpg  
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Big Time Disappointment - the rib rub (chosen at random) was way too peppery for our tastes AND the meat itself was too salty. Otherwise it was moist and tender. Six hours of effort down the drain. ...snip
"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #48

This Traeger smokin' newbie needs specifics, IE: time and temp for meals. A window of plus/minus 30-45 min is often ok but I've got a deadline/show to put on.

Confession: while I may be retired my bride slaves on (on-line workaholic) to support me (yee-haw), and her schedule isn't as flexible.

A couple of additional notes: We've previously discovered that we don't care for the mesquite flavor. Also, I've heard that soaking in brine is generally salty - so I would be concerned with abating that.

Drooling over some more of that previously eaten/ professionally presented smoked chicken.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #49

The brine does not make it salty, it just helps break down the protein. If you are living your life on a tight schedule then use the oven. Low temperature smoking needs flexibility.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #50

Chicken

Quote:
cut chicken in half; brine a few hours in saltwater; smoke 3 hours with hickory, then start basting with Decatur White Barbecue Sauce, cook till at proper temp; let rest; tuck in. Save plenty of sauce for the cooked chicken :-) but don't double dip.

D
Old 02-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #51

I've read that you should only brine "fresh" poultry. That's to say "never frozen". Apparently, frozen birds (turkeys mainly) are injected with a solution and you shouldn't brine them.

I'm probably going to brine my next chicken though.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 PM   #52

Updates: our friend - and her son - enjoyed the leftover ribs BUT they also agreed and so toned the pepper down with a BBQ sauce. Their Mr. doesn't like ribs so he sat it out.

Tomorrow I'm planning on brining two chickens (whole) for 4-5 hours. Next I'll rub each one with a different product (initially with olive oil - as a glue - then one rub specifically for chicken and the other one with herbs & whatever). After that it'll go on the smoker - at a low smoke setting - for two hours. Then I'll increase the heat to 450* and watch for an internal temp of 165*. My guess is that'll take just over an hour. To be followed by a rest of 20- 30 min.

This is just my piecing together many different styles and menus; any foreseen problems please advise in advance.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #53

Basic plans required tweaking but in a nutshell: I brine'd the two chicks separately for 90 min. Smoked them for 2 +20 hours then roasted them on high for 90 min, occasionally spritzing them with OJ. At that point the internal temp hit 165* and I removed the chicks. I then allowed a 30 min rest before cutting/serving.

Tender, moist, crackly skin. Basic ingredients shown:
Attached Thumbnails
20170218_181148.jpg   20170218_180933.jpg   20170218_180003.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #54

Good

Looks awesome Wrascal.

Here's a technique for you: spatchcocking. Allows the bird to flatten out and cook faster.

D
Old 02-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #55

Hi have the Traeger smoker, I love this grill. There was only one meal of Ribs that did not turn out. The dry spice rub that I used was way too salty even though the ribs themselves were fall off the bone. All other meats that I have smoked were perfect. There are many Traeger grill recipes on the net and you can google for them. It was all trial and error and now looking forward to my 2nd year with it.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
Looks awesome Wrascal.

Here's a technique for you: spatchcocking. Allows the bird to flatten out and cook faster.

D
Maybe next time I will give that a try but typically I just purchase cut chicken, breast meat (for my bride) and thighs (for me). These birds were for a larger crowd and I gambled for the experience.

I'm still wanting to find some prime rib, or at least some larger roasts. As is advertised in Alabama: Beef, it's what's for supper.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #57

Another success, but yet another pre-planning that didn't go as planned.

Ultimately we had some mighty tender, nicely browned (and moist) pork chops. First marinated in balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing for 6 hours. Then on the grill (smoke setting) for 90 min, increased to 225* for 30 more min, then pushed up to 250* for yet another hour. Chops finally reached 143* and removed - allowed to rest for 5 min. and then served.

I also smoked corn on the cob (with husks), and for the last 20 min. or so I added some baked beans and mac & cheese.

Served an hour late, but worth it.