Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #21

Wheelha, If you need some contact info at Jayco, Message me, I dealt with the Customer Service Manager for the Motorhome division and the director of the service center, they both were a pleasure to deal with, They made sure I was 110% satisfied before I left the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  

nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #22

2016 precept 31ul. We bought in may and after 5 days we probably felt the handling was bad. Since then we have driven about 6500 miles on various trips and we feel the handling is pretty good. Granted I haven't been been to the rockies yet ( i used to live there and know how the wind is) but i do know that a 32'x11.5' box is going to catch wind and have some issues. Probably a DP handles that better but for the money I think this coach is pretty good.

For the issues with trim and so forth my dealer resolved most of the issues BEFORE we drove off. They had us stay over night there and next morning any issues or questions were addressed. After a couple of short weekend trips we gave them a list of some minor issues that came up and were addressed.

I do agree that workmanship may not be what it used to be but i believe that dealers who do not "bitch" to the manufacturer and dealers that do not "prep" are not working for their money. Have been in various business as owner and also QC mgr for large corp and i know that the last people who touch a product before the sale HAVE to do their job otherwise customers are not happy. Sounds like your dealer needs to address some issues regarding their check out of units before customer arrives.

Jayco if you're listening factory needs to step up QC as well

ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #23

Handling is a subjective thing, unless you are a veteran of many different coaches, in which case your views and opinions may be somewhat more objective due to the wide range of experience. It goes without saying that motorhomes don't handle like automobiles, or even pickup trucks. They handle like motorhomes, and different people have widely differing tolerance levels for the fact that these are very large and heavy vehicles.

Having said that, the handling of most any unit is dependent upon how careful the manufacturer, dealer, and owner are about geometry and alignment, tire selection, suspension ride-vs-control (often the ride suffers as control is enhanced, and vice versa). It's nearly impossible for any manufacturer to please everyone all the time.

The fact that Jayco and many other manufacturers leave the alignment up to either the dealer or the new owner is just a symptom of the industry and its standards. The motorhome manufacturer has to decide for themselves what level of expense they are willing to put into any of their units, and what the market will bear in terms of cost and inconvenience.

Not everyone's idea of "good" handling is the same, and not everyone's idea of a "good" deal is the same. Choose carefully.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #24

If you've been reading this forum for a while, you will see a common theme develop: The stock 2014-2016 Precept 31UL does not drive or handle well out of the box. Maybe that is why Jayco upgraded from the 18k F53 chassis to the 22K chassis for 2017. On the other hand, my 18K F53 2015 Precept 29UM handles like a dream completely stock. I have had an excellent experience with mine as far as reliability is concerned. Almost 19K miles. But then again, I have a high tolerance to small issues. My driver window rattles incessantly but I tune it out. My dealer is awesome: Camper Corral in Madison MS. And only 1.5 miles from my home.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #25

Going from Class C to Class A

New 6 months to RVing with a 2016 26XD and already thinking need to trade up to Class A Precept. Want more livening space 50 Amp 2 AC larger BR etc. Without increasing length too much. Was fearful of drivability originally, so talked myself into the Class C and once I got tire pressure right no problem. So when I started looking at upgrade to Class A and the Precept had all the additional drivability enhancements::1 Bilstein shock, 2 Computer Driveshaft,3Jounce Bumpers,4 Front and rear sway, 5 Additional heavy duty Rear sway thought it would be great choice. After reading this thread my original fears are back. Any one else move from C to A in Jayco?
Nighthawk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #26

I own a 2016 31UL Precept and love it. With a few mods like TST tire monitors and Steering Stabilizer it rides like a car. I love it.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #27

I bought a used 2015 31 UL this spring with less than 5000 miles on it. I do not have any of the handling issues that others complain about it goes great down the road. I'm glad I chose the class A we were on the fence with a 29 MV. Favorite thing about it the 81 gallon fuel tank excess water and the captains chairs upfront being part of your living room and the large picture window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #28

My Precept 35UN drives great, like a luxury sedan. When I tow a car on a dolly I don't even know it's back there at all, I have to check on it every now and then with the rear camera. The only thing I did was raise the tire pressure to 100lbs, She tracks beautifully on the highway. cannot wait to take it from NJ to Yellowstone and back next July/August.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #29

Just completed a 1400 mile trip in our 31UL. I have made no modifications to the suspension and run 90 psi on all tires. Rides like a dream at 62 mph. But like all of these MH's I have found another concern. I was in North Georgia with some hills and inclines and bottomed out going into a grocery store parking lot. It bent the trim but did not crack the fiberglass at the rear of the coach. Too much coach behind the rear axle and not enough angle to minimize bottoming out.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelha View Post
Yes, the dealership was definitely lacking in their prep. Problems were pointed out to them prior to our picking up the motorhome. Sadly, we are inexperienced and believed our salesman, when he told us the motorhome was "made by the Amish." They told us to take it, unrepaired, drive it and find if there were any other issues, which they would fix at the same time. BIG MISTAKE. The Precept has been at the dealership since the beginning of June. We have used it only five days total. Summer is gone. We are paying for a storage space and a monthly note on the vehicle and have not had the use of it. The warranty days are ticking away.
Sounds like you need a new dealer. Any dealer who sits on warranty repairs the entire summer of a new customer's rig is asking to be replaced. Begging to be replaced. They will likely blame it on Jayco, but I'd bet dimes to donuts it's the dealer not staying on top of their service list.