Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
KJP

Questions about Class A

We have been looking at motorhomes and have decided on a class A. We really like the Jayco Precept. We are first time buyers. Looking for any insight on this model.
New vs. used
Gas vs. diesel
Any advice would be appreciated.

KJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #2

Search the threads. A few people have posted about it.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #3

I have a new 2016 31UL precept and love it. There are always a few issues with new units but over all it is great. I prefer gas over diesel because it is much easier to find a gas station that you can fit in to fill up. Try getting fuel at a truck stop. Not easy. I traded in my diesel.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
WDW

We spent a lot of time walking down the path you're going. At the very end we bypassed Winnebago, Jayco Precept and Thor products and settled on a Coachmen Mirada. We also believe we saved between $20 and $35K. and have a better built coach with nicer features. But it's all about the dealer too.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #5

We looked for the better part of 2 years before deciding on a Precept. We love all the standard features you get in the precept, Our preference was the 35UN, They stopped making it for 2017, It has a great kitchen, lots of room, Great storage, One awesome windshield, Drives beautifully. I could go on and on. We looked extensively and really felt we got the most bang for the buck with the Precept. And Jayco's Customer Service has been nothing but spectacular.
Good luck in your quest!
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
36UN.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #6

We went with an Alante 31V. The Precepts also looked very nice, but were a bit out of our budget. We are very happy with our decision so far.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #7

"steering is horrible - lots of play in the steering wheel so you constantly have to move it left and right to keep it tracking,"

There's no problem with the steering, you have a chassis handling problem.
Try these simple remedies in this order and if one doesn't work or seem to make any difference or enough difference try the next;

Fill the fresh water tank before your next journey may help with handling depending upon where the tank is located above the chassis.
Ask the dealer for a front end alignment. They are not normally done after the chassis is built and the coach is added on top which changes things considerably.
Inflate the tires to just about the maximum as found on the sidewall of the tires.
Consider adding front and rear trac bars, sway bars, and aftermarket shocks.

Any one of the above may help enough or to the point that you are satisfied, or you may need all in the end to eliminate the white knuckle driving.
That's what I've done however I presently have a heavy duty class C. I did have two Holiday Rambler class As before that.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #8

Should be built drivable

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
"steering is horrible - lots of play in the steering wheel so you constantly have to move it left and right to keep it tracking,"

There's no problem with the steering, you have a chassis handling problem.
Try these simple remedies in this order and if one doesn't work or seem to make any difference or enough difference try the next;

Fill the fresh water tank before your next journey may help with handling depending upon where the tank is located above the chassis.
Ask the dealer for a front end alignment. They are not normally done after the chassis is built and the coach is added on top which changes things considerably.
Inflate the tires to just about the maximum as found on the sidewall of the tires.
Consider adding front and rear trac bars, sway bars, and aftermarket shocks.

Any one of the above may help enough or to the point that you are satisfied, or you may need all in the end to eliminate the white knuckle driving.
That's what I've done however I presently have a heavy duty class C. I did have two Holiday Rambler class As before that.
"Fill the fresh water tank before your next journey may help with handling depending upon where the tank is located above the chassis.
Consider adding front and rear trac bars, sway bars, and aftermarket shocks."

Just watched a video of Newmar Motorhomes and THEY do a front-end alignment after the build before it is shipped out. Why would anyone want to pay over $100,000 + and THEN have to spend thousands to make it drivable??? Makes NO sense IMHO!
lars36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #9

Jayco pays for the front end alignment under warrantee. Just get an authorization number from them. Our dealer fixes everything and quickly. I email then photo's of issues, they order parts, we drop it off two days later it's done. Taking action is better than complaining. You can call Jayco and talk to people and things will get done, email is rather passive in my book.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars36 View Post
Just watched a video of Newmar Motorhomes and THEY do a front-end alignment after the build before it is shipped out. Why would anyone want to pay over $100,000 + and THEN have to spend thousands to make it drivable??? Makes NO sense IMHO!
Most manufacturers don't except for the few as mentioned and it's accepted practice in the industry, as are many other shortcuts and other cost-cutting measures.
If manufacturer A does not and B does not but C does, then A and B either appeal to buyers with less to spend or do something else to set themselves apart and don't try and compete with C.

The real question may be why do consumers pay $100,000 + and not do their homework, test drive, ask experts, rent first, etc.

abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote