Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

Marinco 30amp Detachable Power Cord

Finally got some time to do the Marinco 30amp Detachable power cord on my 195RB Baja. I quickly grew tired of rapping my knuckles on the mouse hole so this is a nice modification.

Here's a few shots of the various stages of doing the conversion. Total time was probably about 90 minutes but I wasn't in a hurry. I did have to make a run to Lowes to get some 8-32 x 1/4" T-Nuts to use in fastening the new metal ring. The plywood behind the siding was starting the separate because the screws were a little to close to the edge of the hole so they really didn't have much grip. I used a strip of 3/16" x 3/4" white butyl tape behind the ring.
Attached Thumbnails
SDC11596.jpg   SDC11597.jpg   SDC11598.jpg   SDC11600.jpg   SDC11601.jpg  

TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #2

Great work! I did the same a few years ago. Didn't care for stuffing that cord back in, especially when cold.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #3

Nice mod and great pics showing the process. Those cords are a pain especially when they are cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

I am thinking about doing this mod as well. I was looking at Progressive Surge Protectors (internal one not portable) so I want to do both at the same time.

Anyhow my concern is that my power comes in and the cord storage is under the shower tub. So access is going to be a PITA. I pulled out the bottom bunk mattress and opened the access panel so I could see where the power goes into an electrical box next to the water heater and then the power line runs to the converter. There is enough room for the surge protector down here but my concern is that I will have no access to the inside of the exterior wall isl. As you mentioned, your holes were a bit jagged and needed T-nuts. I will have no access from the inside to try and build up anything. I will have to do everything through the hole left from removing the power cord pass through. Maybe t-nuts will work but we will see.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
I am thinking about doing this mod as well. I was looking at Progressive Surge Protectors (internal one not portable) so I want to do both at the same time.

Anyhow my concern is that my power comes in and the cord storage is under the shower tub. So access is going to be a PITA. I pulled out the bottom bunk mattress and opened the access panel so I could see where the power goes into an electrical box next to the water heater and then the power line runs to the converter. There is enough room for the surge protector down here but my concern is that I will have no access to the inside of the exterior wall isl. As you mentioned, your holes were a bit jagged and needed T-nuts. I will have no access from the inside to try and build up anything. I will have to do everything through the hole left from removing the power cord pass through. Maybe t-nuts will work but we will see.
I had no access to any of this from inside either. I had to install the T-Nuts from the outside. Actually I was quite surprised at how small and narrow the space was that the cord got stuffed into. Not sure how it all fit - well - at times it seemed like it wouldn't fit. Now I know why...

My biggest problem was the remainder of the cord that was sticking out kept getting in the way so I temporarily shoved it back inside as the opening was big enough to reach my hand in. The problem was that once I installed the metal ring its opening was smaller and I could no longer reach in to pull the cord back out. Fortunately the DW has smaller hands than I do so I avoided having to go on a fishing expedition. That only cost me one "Are you sure you know what you are doing?"
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I had no access to any of this from inside either. I had to install the T-Nuts from the outside. Actually I was quite surprised at how small and narrow the space was that the cord got stuffed into. Not sure how it all fit - well - at times it seemed like it wouldn't fit. Now I know why...

My biggest problem was the remainder of the cord that was sticking out kept getting in the way so I temporarily shoved it back inside as the opening was big enough to reach my hand in. The problem was that once I installed the metal ring its opening was smaller and I could no longer reach in to pull the cord back out. Fortunately the DW has smaller hands than I do so I avoided having to go on a fishing expedition. That only cost me one "Are you sure you know what you are doing?"
Yeah I figured you put the T-nuts on from the outside. I was kind of thinking of adding a bit of plywood on the backside if needed but I think it is one of those things where you just need to get in there and do it with the expectation of having to make a trip to the hardware store to get some unexpected thing.

The other thing is all my outlets and such are black. So I kind of wanted to match that. I have also been looking at the different brands. There is the Furrion port but those seem to be about $100 however they come with the socket as well as the twist lock end that you put on your existing cord that you cut to make it into an extension. Or do I just get one of the less expensive versions like this. I don't really care about the LED light on the Furrion.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Haibei-Stan.../dp/B01MECNL86

Then other day I stumbled across this and thought that the 90 deg head on it looked kind of neat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BNZHTA

With that I could just put a regular 30A RV socket on the end of the cord left over then that is more parts from that Furrion kit that I don't need.

I don't know how many times I have had to call my 8 year old over and have him stick his hand in some spot to grab something I couldn't reach.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #7

Being frugal I got a piece of plastic, cut out a 6 inch circle, cut down to the center, made a cord sized hole there.

All I have to do is bend the plastic to fit it over the cord and slide it up to the camper side. Kind of like the rat barriers ships use on the ropes they tie the big ships up to the docks with.

Mine is in storage or I would post a picture
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #8

Congrats, nice install. On my list as well.