Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
Our 184bh

I/we purchased our 184BH in 2013. We love it. It is me, my wife, and two teenage daughters that use it. The girls use the bunks and we use the fold down table.
1. We have had 1 of the shades cords rip, and Jayco replaced the whole shade. We have learned it is not to hard to replace the cord if one rips again.
2. The tanks are small for a continuous use as a family. Especially if we shower. So we are picky at our camp sites.
3. THE CAMPER PULLS AWESOME WITH MY KIA SEDONA V6 3.5 LITTER. Typically 19/20 mpg hwy, with camper 10/12 mpg. You know, i heard it's the same with bigger v8s with bigger camper. so the proportion is good because i dont drive a gas hauler v8 all year round.
4. We installed a tv bracket on the bunk wall and mounted a 14" TV with a swing out bracket. The bracket mounted to the TV can lift out of the wall mount. During travels we dismount the TV. I used a strong back on the bunk side for support because the wall is hollow and OEM material is weak.
5. We ran a cable from the coaxial connection by the door through the cabinets, across the roof, down through the cabinets on the bunk side and out the bottom through the radio cavity. When we dismount the tv we push the cable up the hole.
6.The windows fog up a lot and we are looking at alternatives, where the bathroom vent fan will be an awesome addition, not only for regular bath odors, but,
7. A hot summer day last year (2013) the 5000 btu was definitely inadequate. We used fans to try to blow the air to the bunks, but in Aransas like other states it is humid. A bathroom exhuast fan may help vent out high heat, but the 5000 btu unit air really does not circulate adequately. We bought vent pillows and will try them too.
8. I bent a stabilizer a couple of weekends ago and can't find a part number. I called the dealer which is kind of far from my home and he guestimates he has one for $30. It does rock a lot. Can I buy one?
9. One day we were sitting inside because it rained and the CO2 detector/LP Detector cut the propane off. I was not educated too well on the function, but our stove wouldn't lite nor our hot water heater. I took my tank and everyone said it was full. That's when I started reading the manual and indadvertantly pulled the fuse for the LP Gas Detector which cutsoff the propane. I realize that this their to prevent a camper from filling up with propane and igniting when a door is open. Something like that.

The camper pulls great because our dealer really took care of us. THey provided the levelizing system along with the anti-sway bar. I am fixing to to go to Georgia and I use Google Earth incline profile to give me an idea of the hills to look out for.

MikeeDee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
What is the average cost for the upgrade of the 5000btu to the 8000btu? Has anyone invested in the upgrade?

MikeeDee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #13

Your comments are spot-on to what we experienced in our similar TT (154BH).... and most of them I have addressed in modifications over the past 2 years. My signature has links to the projects I have taken on to make the TT "our own".

The 5,000 BTU unit is sufficient for our smaller trailer - but numerous 184BH owners have complained of deficiency. To clean the filter....buy a right angle screwdriver and take out the (2) screws on the bottom of the AC unit, pop off the control knobs and the AC front cover and filter come off for east cleaning (you can bend / curl out the plastic framed filter like a another poster said.....but it's near impossible to get it back in)

The Swift line is light weight and no frills......I was happy with the value in a TT of that weight / floorplan. Being new to camping (and somewhat ignorant to what we would want to "settle" into)... I have enjoyed doing the mods that we felt were a priority.

We have gotten used to the small black / gray tanks.... it takes disciplines which the fairer sex in my family have trouble getting (her) head around... I wont go into detail....

Glad you had a positive experience in general.... Best Wishes
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #14
I found a .5 gallon per minute water facet and a 1.25 gallon per minute shower head. Those two things should help with the water in our 184.

...she started talking about how I never listened to her or somethin, I donno, I wasn't really paying attention...
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote