Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #1

Hummingbird 17FD vs Jay Flight SLX 175 RD

Hello,

My wife and I first bought a 17 ft Casita that turned out to be too small for us, we then went to a 4 seasons 25 ft Creekside 20FQ (with walk around queen and rear dining) which we determined was too big and heavy so we just sold it.

I am now trying to decide between the Hummingbird 17FD and the Jay Flight SLX 175RD, my wife prefers the SLX 175D while I like the build quality, ability to get too more remote places, and hopefully improved vision while towing of the Hummingbird 17FD. I couldn't really see that well with the 8' Creekside 20FQ down both sides while backing up.

I am also concerned with having wood framing on the 175RD vs aluminum in the 17FD.

Too be honest, we have only stayed in full hookup rv campgrounds and for just about a week in a single trip, we do hope to be able to stay a couple of weeks in whichever one we get on winter trips to Arizona. I also have "dreams" of doing a little boon docking so I want to have some capability even if I never actually do it (chuckle).

Any thoughts or recommendations from Jay Flight SLX and Hummingbird owners??

Thanks in advance.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #2

We got the 195RD for the walk around queen. Really great due to a bad knee. The 175 has a crawl over queen was eliminated.
If the walk around queen is a good fit the 195rd is only 2 ft and 200 pounds more with the same 7 ft. width.

You do lose the extra bed space of the rear dinette. We don't need it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:10 PM   #3

The SLX 175RD is only 85" wide compared to the 97" width of the Hummingbird. I would recommend looking at the Baja model of the SLX 175RD. It will include a larger fresh water tank, a springs-over axle kit for increased ground clearance, enclosed underbelly and larger LT off road tires. It also increases the GVWR by 250lbs to 3750. We also preferred the tub in the SLX line to the shower-only in the Hummingbird. Like RogerR we have the 195RB model as it's just the two of us and the walk-around queen was another of the must-haves for us.

Full disclosure - the Hummingbird was not available in 2015 when we bought our 195RB but we had looked at some R-Pod models which are similar to the Hummingbirds and for our needs they just didn't suit us.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
The SLX 175RD is only 85" wide compared to the 97" width of the Hummingbird.
The box of the Hummingbird is only 77" wide with the slide in, it's 97-3/4" wide with the slide set all the way out. But the fenders/wheels are outboard of the box.

We love our 17RK Baja and wouldn't trade it for any other make or model out there.

Our TT is only 2" wider than our FJ Cruiser and it's 3.5" narrower than our 2500HD with the mirrors folded in flat against the doors, this makes for a perfect towing situation. I can look in the side mirrors and see the TT tires. And with the mirrors folded out, but not extended, our 2500 is about 2' wider than the TT, so if the truck fits through an area the TT easily does.

I've never even slid my tow mirrors out while pulling with the 2500, there's no need to because the TT is so narrow. We only used the mirror extensions that I bought for the FJ the day we brought the TT home and then never used them again because I could see down both sides of the TT with the factory mirrors. I do like the clear sight line of the TT tires while towing, I can always keep an eye on them.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
The box of the Hummingbird is only 77" wide with the slide in, it's 97-3/4" wide with the slide set all the way out. But the fenders/wheels are outboard of the box.

We love our 17RK Baja and wouldn't trade it for any other make or model out there.

Our TT is only 2" wider than our FJ Cruiser and it's 3.5" narrower than our 2500HD with the mirrors folded in flat against the doors, this makes for a perfect towing situation. I can look in the side mirrors and see the TT tires. And with the mirrors folded out, but not extended, our 2500 is about 2' wider than the TT, so if the truck fits through an area the TT easily does.

I've never even slid my tow mirrors out while pulling with the 2500, there's no need to because the TT is so narrow. We only used the mirror extensions that I bought for the FJ the day we brought the TT home and then never used them again because I could see down both sides of the TT with the factory mirrors. I do like the clear sight line of the TT tires while towing, I can always keep an eye on them.
I can see how having the wheels outboard of the box would make it much easier see the tires while underway. It's not quite so easy with the SLX but with properly adjusted mirrors it's not too bad. Like your situation, with the 85" total width of the SLX if my truck mirrors fit I know there is sufficient room for the trailer. I have to back through a 110" wide gate to get to the back yard where we store ours and it's not a straight shot. The extra 12" of clearance the SLX provides does help in that situation. In either unit I think the Baja editions are the best value.

I would say to the OP - consider going to the dealer and spending a little bit of time in both, ideally without the sales person, and think about how you might be spending time in the unit to help determine which one suits you best.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:16 AM   #6

We just bought the 17 RK. We just couldn't deal with the lack of storage on the RB. We usually use the showers at the RV Parks. But will use the wet bath in a pinch love the slide dinette for watching tv with your feet up. Love the kitchen countertop. I need all the space I can get in the kitchen. Plus we love the storage that's hidden behind the dinette cushions. Nice for hiding the electronic and valuables. There is storage galore in the RK. We had a trailer with very little storage and our bunks became our storage. That made our dinette into a permanent bed. Just not a good fit for us
Angeleyes0001a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #7

The abundance of storage is the primary thing that steered us toward the 17RK as well, the large kitchen area is nice too.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I have two issues with the Hummingbird ..... 1st one, when i was at the dealer in the fall waiting for my new Jayflight, i was looking at the Hummingbird in the showroom. I was standing behind it, and by accident, leaned on the back....noting the the rear outside fiberglass and whatever they use behind it were not bonded together, in other words, i could push on the outside skin and push up against the other ..... in the long term, this could be an issue. Secondly, always a chance it could go the way of the A-Frame pop-up, one day they are selling them, next they no longer show up on their website. I do think they are an awesome looking trailer, and probably a dream to tow....price wise, i think you have to pay more for the novelty too...but i am still a firm believer in good ole wood and aluminum! Either way, u'll enjoy!
Old 05-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #9

Thank you everybody for your responses.

After going back and sitting in each one for a period of time we purchased the 175RD Baja Edition and take possession in a week. Since we live in Oregon where you may end up sitting in the trailer the entire day due to rain we felt the 175RD gave us the feeling and views of a larger trailer. We agree that the 195's walk around is very nice but my DW really wanted the rear dining and the increased separation of the sleeping and living area. She likes to sleep in late while I get up early.

We added some things, some of which came standard on the Humminbird. We added 4 inch memory foam topper, replaced 12v battery with 2 6V golf cart batteries, outdoor shower, led back up lights, voyager color back up camera, battery disconnect, solar prepping, 24-32 inch led tv on swivel arm mount, and thinking of adding a front hitch for the F150 TV to take 2 bikes if just strapping them to the bed doesn't work out.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:28 PM   #10

Congrats....make sure they have changed out the interior lights that have a recall on them.....just so you don't have to take it back. We haven't picked ours up yet either due to light installation and we added a fan in the kitchen area too......We are anxiously waiting for Friday..lol Again Congrats think you will love it.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:15 PM   #11

Good suggestions,

I forgot to add that I am having the dining area fan replaced with a Fantastic fan and Maxx Air cover and will ask them about replacing any recalled lights.

I was also thinking of going with double 20 propane tanks rather than single 30. Does anybody know if two tanks would fit the tank space or would I need to have some fabrication done??
Old 05-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #12

We stick with a 20 lb tank to keep the tongue wt down. On you tube a seller says you can use 2 2- lb tanks . We had on on our last Jayco. We bought an adaptor that allowed us to have 2 tanks
Old 05-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #13

Congratulations! What were your impressions and experiences with the quality of your Creekside (Outdoors RV)?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #14

We really enjoyed the 2017 Creekside 20FQ. Good 4 seasons trailer, good quality build, solar ready, responsive manufacturer but felt it was too wide and heavy compared to our previous casita 17' Liberty deluxe. No laughing please.

Hopefully the 7 ft x 21 ft 3750 GVWR 175RD will be just the right size for us plus we really don't need a 4 seasons unit.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #15

Hello - I thought I would revive this old thread to get more opinions. We are in the same situation and looking at the Jay Flight SLX models and the Hummingbird models.

I wonder if anyone has experience comparing these two different campers.

Here is where our mind is:

1)The Humingbirds do seem to be trendy and pretty expensive when compared to the Jay Flight SLX models. If I'm not misled I am seeing new SLX models go for $11-14k and the Hummingbirds going for $16-$19k (all trailers in the 17/18' range)

2) I must say I like the slide out of the Hummingbird since it opens up the floor space quite a bit.

3) Our max tow weight would be around 3800lbs and we will stay local to Michigan - so no long hauls or mountains to deal with.

4) We wonder about the overall fit and finish (quality) of these two models. Are they the same?

5) Going to the trendy-ness of the Hummingbird I would like something I can easily unload if we don't like it. I am not sure which would be easier to sell. It nearly impossible to find used R-Pods, Hummingbirds or the newer Winnie models. I think this is a good thing when it's time to sell.

6) We would like to buy used but as I mentioned in 5) the supply of 2013-2016 lightweight travel trailers is really thin here in metro Detroit. I am wondering if we should buy new to pick exactly what we want and get the full warranty. Thoughts?

Any feedback would be very appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
suzangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzangels View Post
6) We would like to buy used but as I mentioned in 5) the supply of 2013-2016 lightweight travel trailers is really thin here in metro Detroit. I am wondering if we should buy new to pick exactly what we want and get the full warranty. Thoughts?

Any feedback would be very appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
I'd pony up the bucks for a new one. Would you buy a used mattress? That's what you're getting when you go used!
Old 07-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #17

We now have 4 outings of 4-5 days duration on the 175RD now and so far don't have any major complaints. We did have an issue where some of the build materials had gotten into the water drain lines and prevented the black and grey tank valves to completely close. This however was fixed by the dealer as soon as identified.

We are happy with our selection, the towing, visibility, and maneuverability has been what I had hoped for. When being in the unit for an extended period of time the rear dining floor plan and windows has given the unit a much more open feeling. More so than what I felt in the Hummingbird with the slide out.

Regarding storage space, it hasn't been an issue for the two of us, in fact we don't use much of the under the bed storage. However we haven't done any boondocking yet. With the Baja edition you get the enclosed underbelly, higher ground clearance, about 3800 lbs GVW, larger fresh water and propane tanks.

I think you have a few more options available to you with the Hummingbird such as the outside shower.

Regarding new or used. We bought new for the warranty thinking the usual price for a like new unit wasn't worth the difference. I would add that while having the warranty is nice one of the dirty little secrets of the industry is that most dealerships and repair shops are always back logged especially during the peak rv season. It isn't unusual to be told once you have identified a problem that it may be 3-4 weeks before you can get the unit in and that you may have to leave it with them for a week or so. Of course if you are a handy person and can take care of things on your own it doesn't matter as much. Some people advocate getting a fairly recent used unit so that most of the issues have been addressed.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
We now have 4 outings of 4-5 days duration on the 175RD now and so far don't have any major complaints. We did have an issue where some of the build materials had gotten into the water drain lines and prevented the black and grey tank valves to completely close. This however was fixed by the dealer as soon as identified.

We are happy with our selection, the towing, visibility, and maneuverability has been what I had hoped for. When being in the unit for an extended period of time the rear dining floor plan and windows has given the unit a much more open feeling. More so than what I felt in the Hummingbird with the slide out.

Regarding storage space, it hasn't been an issue for the two of us, in fact we don't use much of the under the bed storage. However we haven't done any boondocking yet. With the Baja edition you get the enclosed underbelly, higher ground clearance, about 3800 lbs GVW, larger fresh water and propane tanks.

I think you have a few more options available to you with the Hummingbird such as the outside shower.

Regarding new or used. We bought new for the warranty thinking the usual price for a like new unit wasn't worth the difference. I would add that while having the warranty is nice one of the dirty little secrets of the industry is that most dealerships and repair shops are always back logged especially during the peak rv season. It isn't unusual to be told once you have identified a problem that it may be 3-4 weeks before you can get the unit in and that you may have to leave it with them for a week or so. Of course if you are a handy person and can take care of things on your own it doesn't matter as much. Some people advocate getting a fairly recent used unit so that most of the issues have been addressed.
I don't think you should stand for 3-4 week wait for warranty work from a dealer that recently sold you a new unit. Service that poor would be a reason for me to never buy from that dealer again and lodge a complaint with the manufacturer.
KT in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote