Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #11
This was Lake Rawlings, Va. Quarry hit a spring and filled in. Check out their website. Owners are leasing the land to the scuba park operator. He has concentrated on the scuba aspect and its a really good dive. Lots of training platforms at various depths. Clear water, and has an obstacle course and a treasure hunt course. 70 water to about 30 feet, below that it drops to 55. Plane is in 45'. Our bottom time there was 2 minutes. Most attraction are in about 25-30 foot of water. He wants to improve the campground but the owners won't let him. There isnt even a dump station. Its free at a truck stop 2 miles away. He has the space and attraction to get people there. It is the middle of nowhere. There is another one outside of Raleigh called Fantasy Lake but I've haven't been there yet. I'm PADI open water. My son was IANTD diver and I just had him do PADI open water last spring. I've been diving off and on for 20 years. He decided 2 years ago he wanted to learn. So I worked a lot of overtime and made it happen. I took him to coco cay in the Bahamas in June for his first reef dive. He loved it. We live in eastern North Carolina. Graveyard of the Atlantic, and have done a lot of wreck dives out of Morehead city. Did the hot springs in Florida last winter including snorkeling with Manatees in Crystal River. This winter I'm looking at taking the TT and either doing some more springs and/or the shipwreck trail in the panhandle(only an 8 hour drive) or going all the way down to Key Largo and Miami (12-15 hour drive) for some more reef diving. I have to add my son is high functioning autistic. This activity was a hard sell to his mother and we took it really slow step by step. He loves it and picked up on it like a fish. Momma still ain't crazy about it but she loves hearing him tell her about his adventure. This was the first outdoor activity he came to me wanting to do after seeing some Nat Geo and Discovery Channel shows.
I am a volunteer firefighter and we recently had a water rescue that turned into a recovery. I'm working now with my dept and county to see what myself and another member have to do on the fire side to conduct these types of operations. We were in the water searching with just OW certs and we both were in over our heads. But you gotta try. I couldn't stand on the bank and watch his mother worry and not do something.

tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote