Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

Space Heater in Whitehawk for winter

This is our first travel trailer and I was told a small space heater in the trailer during winter will help it from freezing weather and I was wondering what your thoughts might be on it.
L&JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you talking about a TT in storage or being used. In storage, no heater needed if it is winterized.... (water lines blown out, pink antifreeze in pipes and drains...(there are different opinions here) If no 110VAC service fully charge the battery(s) and disconnect the main 30 amp fuse or disconnect the negative terminal.

In April in the Blue Ridge Mountains (GA), the temps are in the 40's at night so we use a 1500 watt ceramic oscillating heater. We put it on the floor so that it sucks in the coldest air in the TT.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
EAGLE - Ceramic Oscillating feature.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

There are some details you left out which leave many of us to assumptions. To avoid assuming things there are questions which lead in different possible directions.

Since this is your first trailer, and it is a winter season; are you going to be using it this winter?
If so, where is it stored between uses?
If at home, is it plugged in?

If you are not using it during the winter; did you winterize (have it winterized)?
If not, are the water heater and the fresh water tanks drained? Are all the water lines drained?

You see lots of questions.... Possible answers -- if the trailer is thoroughly winterized, there is no need for a small space heater inside. Proper winterizing protects the components which can be damaged from freezing from being damaged.
If you are using it throughout the winter, but are still draining the tanks and water lines, and able to park it where you can plug it into shore power, then leaving a small space heater (preferably, one that is thermostatically controlled, and uses a ceramic element) inside and one will protect it during the times when it is parked and not in use. However, my personal opinion is that I would not leave a space heater unattended like that, even with thermostatic controls and ceramic elements. Manufacturers of space heaters and fire safety personnel all recommend against leaving space heaters plugged in and turned on and left unattended for good reason. Even here near my home there have been two houses destroyed by fire this season. The cause was unattended space heaters. One in a back bedroom where a pet knocked it over (it's safety trip/knock over switch failed), the other in a garage, left too close to highly combustible material.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Are you talking about a TT in storage or being used. In storage, no heater needed if it is winterized.... (water lines blown out, pink antifreeze in pipes and drains...(there are different opinions here) If no 110VAC service fully charge the battery(s) and disconnect the main 30 amp fuse or disconnect the negative terminal.

Don
Thank you for your reply. We do live in an area that can freeze. Next week calls for Highs in the 40's with lows 28deg or just above freezing with some snow expected. This kind of weather does not last for months. We do hope to take it out again.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&JK View Post
Thank you for your reply. We do live in an area that can freeze. Next week calls for Highs in the 40's with lows 28deg or just above freezing with some snow expected. This kind of weather does not last for months. We do hope to take it out again.
Since you do hope to take it out again, I recommend taking some time to search through the forums here on winterizing. Many people utilize the winterization method of making sure the hot water heater and main fresh water tank are drained. Open the low point drains and let all the water drain out. Get the air compressor adapter (Walmart usually has them) and blow the water lines out. Ensure the grey and black tanks are empty. Get a bottle of RV Antifreeze and pour enough down each drain to fill the pee traps, and finally pour some in the toilet. A final recommendation would be to get a couple tubs of a product called DampRid and set them inside (to absorb moisture from the air).
From those who swear by the compressor to blow out the water lines method, this should work to keep everything safe inside your trailer without having to pump the antifreeze through the lines. This will also enable you to avoid the necessity of leaving a space heater on at all times inside the trailer.
The key is not to have any standing water in any of the lines or at low points in the water lines.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Since you do hope to take it out again, I recommend taking some time to search through the forums here on winterizing. Many people utilize the winterization method of making sure the hot water heater and main fresh water tank are drained. Open the low point drains and let all the water drain out. Get the air compressor adapter (Walmart usually has them) and blow the water lines out. Ensure the grey and black tanks are empty. Get a bottle of RV Antifreeze and pour enough down each drain to fill the pee traps, and finally pour some in the toilet. A final recommendation would be to get a couple tubs of a product called DampRid and set them inside (to absorb moisture from the air).
From those who swear by the compressor to blow out the water lines method, this should work to keep everything safe inside your trailer without having to pump the antifreeze through the lines. This will also enable you to avoid the necessity of leaving a space heater on at all times inside the trailer.
The key is not to have any standing water in any of the lines or at low points in the water lines.

X2!!!! Winterized a few weeks ago just to be safe. Just returned from a 9 day trip to the Gulf coast and first night back temp fell to 28. Opened the low point drains and drained the water heater. Left the furnace on and sat tstate to 50. Next day temp 65 and nights since have bottomed out near 50. Blew out the lines again today and it will rest until late January when we will head out again to somewhere warmer. Will winterize again when we return in early March.

Have always used the compressor method that makes winterizing and reuse a simple procedure. NO need to risk frozen pipes when the whole process takes less than 20 minutes.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
X2!!!! Winterized a few weeks ago just to be safe. .....
DW and I winterized in 1998, we moved everything from our home on the IL/WI border, to our current location in Central Florida. I found that doing it that way is a lot easier than going through the winterization process each year.

Don
Old 11-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
DW and I winterized in 1998, we moved everything from our home on the IL/WI border, to our current location in Central Florida. I found that doing it that way is a lot easier than going through the winterization process each year.

Don
DW and I have talked a few times of packing up and moving way way way south for the sake not having to winterize as well. It's definitely a tempting endeavor, especially since we are retired. However, she keeps pointing out how much we love to hunt and fish and how much I love riding snow toys. So I guess we are stuck in Alaska, and I am stuck with the tedium of having to winterize and de-winterize; I do envy people who can utilize their RV's in a regular manner year round...
Old 11-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
DW and I have talked a few times of packing up and moving way way way south for the sake not having to winterize as well. It's definitely a tempting endeavor
Us too. BUT, I've been in Tampa many times when the mercury dipped below freezing. Out on the peninsula it doesn't get quite that cold-lucky Don. We're down in St. Pete a couple of times each year during winter visiting relatives.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
snip... We do live in an area that can freeze. Next week calls for Highs in the 40's with lows 28deg or just above freezing with some snow expected. This kind of weather does not last for months. We do hope to take it out again.
Winterize it. It really doesn't take very long to do.

Personally, trying to keep the entire unit warm enough to be sure no water lines anywhere would freeze would be a problem for me. I would worry if the temp forecast was for 28*, but but for some reason it dropped down to 24*. I'd worry that I should have turned the heater up a bit or installed a second heater. And what if the power went out for a few minutes... a few hours...

I winterize and sleep comfortably.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Us too. BUT, I've been in Tampa many times when the mercury dipped below freezing. Out on the peninsula it doesn't get quite that cold-lucky Don. We're down in St. Pete a couple of times each year during winter visiting relatives.
I still prefer 4 seasons even if I can only use my camper in 3 of them. I'll probably disclaim ownership of this post in 3 months, but that's my story for now. I am kinda envious of people in the southern states... sometimes anyway.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:45 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I still prefer 4 seasons even if I can only use my camper in 3 of them. I'll probably disclaim ownership of this post in 3 months, but that's my story for now. I am kinda envious of people in the southern states... sometimes anyway.
We were in Colorado a few years ago in June. We spent the month forced into moving around because of the fires. My lungs can't handle smoke. So on the way back we took a seasonal spot in the GA mountains. It Is supposed to be cooler up there, but they have been having record high temps... may have to head up to AK for the summers... I do have Barrow AK, on my iPhone weather, just to see how cold it is at the top end of USA (7 degrees as we digitally speak) ahhhh 66 in the backyard now. We have 4 seasons down here in central FL, 1 actual and watch the other 3 seasons on WGN (Chicago) TV. (46 in Chicago now)

Don
Old 11-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
We were in Colorado a few years ago in June. We spent the month forced into moving around because of the fires. My lungs can't handle smoke. So on the way back we took a seasonal spot in the GA mountains. It Is supposed to be cooler up there, but they have been having record high temps... may have to head up to AK for the summers... I do have Barrow AK, on my iPhone weather, just to see how cold it is at the top end of USA (7 degrees as we digitally speak) ahhhh 66 in the backyard now. We have 4 seasons down here in central FL, 1 actual and watch the other 3 seasons on WGN (Chicago) TV. (46 in Chicago now)

Don
I love it here in Alaska. Come on up, and if you need a night or two or three layover, I can provide a level parking pad, water and electric hookups and laundry facilities.
If you want to watch the real cold temperatures, put Galena, Alaska or North Pole, Alaska on your iPhone weather. I have been a trail guide for the Marines Toys for Tots program, delivering toys to the remote villages surrounding Galena. We trek over 400 miles in a week on snow machines (snow mobiles to the lower 48). The coldest I have encountered in 9 years is 62 below zero, with a wind chill factor equivalent to 70 below zero. At that temperature, we can only max the snow machines out to around 25 miles per hour due to the weakened state of the metal on the under carriages and suspension. Go too fast and hit a bump and you shatter metal parts.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #14

Back to the OP. Sounds like your in a fairly warm climate. I would drain the system, blow out the lines with compressed air, add a bit of RV antifreeze to the drains, and call it good. I would keep a jug or two around, just incase a deep freeze came your way.

We go out when the temps are in the low 20's and camp. No issues at all. At home, I'll just drain the lines as noted above. Then being in the artic north, I'll do a full winterization late fall.

I have never turned the heat on at home, just to keep the tt from freezing. I do have a 1500 watt heater, for when we are out camping.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Back to the OP. Sounds like your in a fairly warm climate. I would drain the system, blow out the lines with compressed air, add a bit of RV antifreeze to the drains, and call it good. I would keep a jug or two around, just incase a deep freeze came your way.

We go out when the temps are in the low 20's and camp. No issues at all. At home, I'll just drain the lines as noted above. Then being in the artic north, I'll do a full winterization late fall.

I have never turned the heat on at home, just to keep the tt from freezing. I do have a 1500 watt heater, for when we are out camping.
Thank you! That sounds like a plan
Old 11-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Back to the OP. Sounds like your in a fairly warm climate. I would drain the system, blow out the lines with compressed air, add a bit of RV antifreeze to the drains, and call it good. ...snip
Quote:
Thank you! That sounds like a plan
Jagiven doesn't specifically say to 'drain the water heater.' He probably includes that in 'drain the system', but it could be a very expensive item to omit.

BTW, the plan by Jagiven (plus draining the water heater) is what I do and I call that Winterizing.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #17

Thank you!
Old 12-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #18

I broke a couple of fittings on my first trailer because we lived in Clovis, NM, and I didn't quite have the winterizing process down. I kept it in enclosed storage and used a space heater under it. But... it got down to -4 and the space heater died... same night... Best bet is to learn to winterize properly and then you'll have no problems.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #19

We run this Heater using the Anit-Freeze Mode.

DeLonghi Safeheat 1500-Watt Digital Ceramic Heater-DCH5090ER - The Home Depot

and this dehumidifier

https://www.eva-dry.com/dehumidifier...-dehumidifier/

during the cold months here in Ohio.

We go anytime we get a chance - last we re-winterized 3 times.

We keep 12 gallons of RV Anti-Freeze in stock during the summer. Also used compressed air. I carry a macerator and can flush tanks in cold weather at home.

It is not for everyone but is not bad once you have the equipment and a system.

We are not retired nor full time. Our goal is 82 nights a year and missed it by 2 in 2016 due to a tow vehicle repair. We are hopeful to still get it done before end of the year.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote