Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #1

LED Ceiling Lights

Hello fellow RV's,

We picked up our 2017 White Hawk 27DSRL this weekend. During the walk-through several of the ceiling lights would not turn on/off without pushing and "popping" the switch (like lighting a match with your fingernail). Some, after shutting off, could not be turned back on. The mechanic mentioned that they have been complaining about them and when they get replacements they do the same thing. Not very comforting. After getting the trailer home I found that most of them would not work at all. These lights are of the poorest design that I have seen. If I were to buy them I wouldn't pay more than 10 cents (actually I wouldn't buy them! I have sent a message to Jayco to tell them that they should fire the manufacturer and find a better design. I also sent an email to the dealer. I really hope that they decide to replace all of them with a better design in our new trailer and in every new one they build. For an otherwise very nice trailer, this inexpensive but extremely important item is very disappointing. It's the first and last thing you use every time you get in the trailer.

I don't know if Jayco uses the same lights in any other model. Has anyone else had problems with them?

Thanks,
Mike
azrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #2

This is clearly a warranty issue and they need to fix it.
I realize that you wanted to take possession of your new trailer, but at the least I would have demanded a written and signed statement from the dealer at your walk-through that the lights were not functioning and would be fixed ASAP under warranty.

Hard to believe that Jayco would let this slide by and not address it.
Something's not right here. Good idea to ask if others have had this problem or to determine if the dealer is giving you bad info, or if your unit is an exception. I hope you get some good responses.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
Site Team

I recently replaced all the halogen bulbs in my 2011 with LEDS. I am very happy with them. No problems as you describe..

I would make sure this is not swept under the rug. Make sure it is documented and fixed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #4

2016 Greyhawk with the LEDs. No problems. It *sounds* like a switch issue to me, if I read that correctly. If it's only some of the LEDs and intermittent, then I'd blame wiring or the lights.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #5

I'm with Dewey02. Warrantee repair - switches. They'll have to replace all of the questionable fixtures.

Unless you feel you can live with lights that are difficult to operate and only work sometimes.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

Thanks

Wow, what a great forum! Such quick replies offering support!

It is indeed the switch as the lights themselves work great (when you can turn them on or off).

I did make a note on the walk-through check-list and sign-off form which I hope will be good enough. As many times as I have been burned I still feel a need to trust someone at their word until they prove to me that I can no longer trust them. Of course some caution is always prudent. Anyway, I did get a response from Jayco Customer Service but only stating that he will make a note about it in "the system" so that the engineers and management can review it. What I really need to do is drive it hard with the dealer which I will do. Luckily they are close to my residence. And hopefully this trailer just got a batch of bad switches.

Thanks everyone. Sure glad that I decided to join! And looking forward to some great outdoor activity.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #7

Update with the light switches.

When I called the dealer they were already working with Jayco to get them replaced. Loving it!
Old 12-28-2016, 07:07 PM   #8

Update on interior led lights

Just got our WH back from the dealer. They replaced all of the interior led lights with a batch from a different manufacturer. I'm not sure if they were ordered by Jayco or the dealer. In any case every one of them now has a positive feel and definite "click" when pushed. On/off every time!

Even though they had scheduled to replace the lights as soon as I brought it in, they did me a favor and stored it for a week while I worked on the ground and roof where we park it next to the house.
I have to say that I am very pleased with Jayco and our dealer and will give each a 5 star rating.

We really like this trailer. So far we spent 3 nights at a local AZ state park/campground (Cave Creek), and we will be at another state park (Catalina) all next week.

Since very few of our state park campgrounds have full hookup (water and electric at the site and a dump station for black/gray water) I just got a Thetford portable 27 gallon tank for the gray water. All of the parks have very clean bathrooms and showers but a 30 gallon gray water tank fills pretty fast. We need to learn how to be conservative with the grey water but in the meantime the portable tank will be very handy.

Mike
Old 12-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #9
Site Team

I saw on the Forest River forum that they were having issues with some of the new round LED lights as well.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #10

Samething happened to us when we were doing the walk thru at the dealer. Jayco is replacing all of them with the update light fixture for our Hummingbird.
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #11

Put LEDS in my 2010 Greyhawk and have no problems...
Old 12-28-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
Site Team

Last time I was at my dealer I overheard the warranty people talking about having to replace all the round LED fixtures in a new Jayco.

It must be a problem with a supplier?
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 12-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Last time I was at my dealer I overheard the warranty people talking about having to replace all the round LED fixtures in a new Jayco.

It must be a problem with a supplier?
Are you referring to the round puck style lights that are mounted on a wood facade above the kitchen and dinette?
I have two of them that are out.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Are you referring to the round puck style lights that are mounted on a wood facade above the kitchen and dinette?
I got a quick look at one of them and it looked like the ones in the ceiling. Mine are Halogen and I changed the bulbs to LEDs but the newer ones are the same size with a 4 inch plastic cover.
I have 11 or 12 in my rig.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 12-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post

Yes, it is the round 4 inch puck lights. We have 18 (including the one in the pass-thru) but they are on the ceiling and underneath the cabinets, and now they all work!

Mike
Old 12-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #16

Just wondering if it is normal to get a Dealer Survey from Jayco. I just got one in the mail. It's going to be a very high rating!
Old 12-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
Site Team

Yes, they do surveys. I got one shortly after I made my last purchase.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 12-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #18

LED Ceiling Lights

I am having an issue with one of my lights in my 2017 hummingbird do yours look like this?

One of mine started flickering and got real hot. I shut it off and wiggled the connections and it's been working a little better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #19

I found a replacement from etrailer but they don't have the individual switches like mine

http://www.etrailer.com/RV-Lighting/...rZNxoCjtPw_wcB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #20

Recommend you immediately contact the Customer Service Rep back and initiate a warranty claim and ask for assistance as to where to take it to get it fixed ASAP as your dealer didn't really think it was a major problem on your walk through.
Richard49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, led, lights