I've been reading up on the whole RV electrical genre lately and was convinced due to the location of my power center (mid coach, WFCO 8955PEC) and my batteries (tongue) that my batteries were on their way to certain death due to such a long feed and likely improper size wires from the factory. I started this project assuming I was going to be running some new wire to the batteries from the power center....all the while wondering why with a brand new, 2016 TT, this is still an issue.
I found a 6AWG wire at the front of my TT, attached to one of the batteries and an identical 6 AWG wire inside my power center, hooked to the battery feed post. I did some real rough math based on an estimated length (I went with 25 feet) and of course became again mad that would need to fix an issue that should not be an issue with a brand new TT.
Imagine my surprise when I found the following readings at these two spots. I tried to take these photos so you could see I was not making anything up. Seriously, no foolin'.
This photo is from the power center. I used the very point of the leeds, touching the wires as they come through the connectors.
Note the voltage is 13.66.
This photo is from the batteries. I have the loop of the connector on the 6AWG wire touching the leed. The negative is touching the negative post on the battery. The voltage kept bouncing between 13.66 and 13.67.
How does this make sense? There should absolutely be a voltage drop...right? This testing was done while plugged into my 30AMP connection at home.