Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2017, 06:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I do feel the TV and TT move slightly as one when the crosswinds are 25-30.
Ive felt the same thing a few times during high gusts. This tells me that the TV and TT are working together as one via the no-sway characteristics of the hitch.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #22

Quote:
I tow my 2017 27DSRL with my 2017 F250 6.2L short bed gasser with my Andersen. Tongue weight is 950-1000 lbs. I'm using 6-7 threads depending on load. So far I have no sway, no bounce, and do not feel the trucks. I do feel the TV and TT move slightly as one when the crosswinds are 25-30. I've put 1000 miles on it so far this year. The DW helps drive on longer trips and likes it.
You must have the newer urethane bushings. I ordered a spare one to carry as I'd read of several folks that had the older, softer ones split. They sent me the newer style one. I called them to be sure they sent the the correct bushing and was told that the newer style was all they were making now and it was intended to help improve the weight distribution function, especially for heavier tongue weights. Clearly they've recognized the issue and have been working on it. Since my brackets are welded I carry several additional washers to take up the difference of the shorter bushing if I ever have to use it.

The DW likes the fact that she can hitch it up herself without much trouble due to the lighter weight and the ease of attaching/tightening the chains.

The one issue I did have was last season. After spending a week at Lake Mead in hot and dusty conditions we had monsoon rains the morning we left. Drove in that for about 2 hours. When I pulled off for a fuel-up I heard this deafening squeal. Looking about I couldn't see any other trailers and I was sure it wasn't us given how quiet the Andersen is. Well, unfortunately it was us - the friction cone froze and would barely turn. The squealing was a combination of the friction cone and the extreme compression on whichever urethane bushing was taking the brunt of the turn. We limped home as it didn't seem to have any impact when running down the interstate, only when we had to make tighter turns into parking lots.

I emailed Andersen when we got back and they shipped me a new friction cone overnight. It's a simple replacement - just invert the hitch in the receiver, pull the retaining pin and tap the cone out. Then you can carefully pop out the old friction cone and replace it with the new one. It looks like ours may have been affected by some aluminum shavings that got between the friction cone and the side wall as well as some sand working its way down into the friction cone. The shavings were apparently an issue with a batch of earlier models. I now carry the proper tool to remove the retaining pin for emergency use while on the road because they told me that I could pop the friction cone and give it a good cleaning and it would likely reduce or eliminate the freeze for a while.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:44 PM   #23

Quote:
I tow my 2017 27DSRL with my 2017 F250 6.2L short bed gasser with my Andersen. Tongue weight is 950-1000 lbs. I'm using 6-7 threads depending on load. So far I have no sway, no bounce, and do not feel the trucks. I do feel the TV and TT move slightly as one when the crosswinds are 25-30. I've put 1000 miles on it so far this year. The DW helps drive on longer trips and likes it.
'Tis a head scratcher. My trailer is a little bigger (500lbs spec weight more, GVWR 900 lbs more, length 1 ft. more) I have the medium bed (6.5 ft) SCrew F-150, with a GVWR of 8200, so likely about the same as your truck in weight. Wheelbase might be a bit longer, which would explain why harder to get weight transfer to the front. (Just harder, but can still get it to Ford spec)
But the wobble and sway were just a little too much for test drives. The DW always drove the fifth, but won't drive the trailer as it is now. I was really counting on it, but it looks like the leverage of the long trailer is just more than the friction cone can compensate for.
BTW - when I gave a thread count, as a reference, I set up the hitch with full weight on the ball, and the nut was hand tight when the end of the bolt was flush with the outside of the nut - no threads showing.