Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm9301 View Post
I am curious if anyone here has ever got in trouble with the fuzz for being over weight while not having an accident?
I don't know of any state that has weight restrictions on the books for noncommercial vehicles.

Also according to a retired Ins adjuster they won't look at weights either. You had to do something wrong with every accident you have if at fault.

Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #12

CAT scale results, Tundra towing 28BHBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmen View Post
Heady, what is the payload on your 2013 EcoBoost ??

Payload is 1640 on the 2013 F150 FX4 double cab short bed

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
Payload is 1640 on the 2013 F150 FX4 double cab short bed
1640 is the payload on my 07 SuperCrew. I plan to weigh truck and trailer this weekend as we head out on a short trip. I am sure that I am close to my limits, if not a little over... Our 27BHS has an empty weight of 6200 lbs. per the yellow sticker on the trailer. Tongue weight is listed at 650/// We'll see !
2007 F150 SuperCrew (150"wb) 5.4L 3:55 diff
2006 Expedition Limited 5.4L 3:73 diff
2002 Sportsmen 2405 (sold)
sportsmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #14

This thread has me concerned as I also have a Tundra and expecting delivery of my Whitehawk 27DSRL in the next week or two. I'm considering getting a 250 but would like to avoid going that route if I don't have to.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #15

To the OP did you happen to buy that camper from Buffalo RV?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
doo800XRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #16

I would like to thank Astro for providing some intelligent actual experience on towing a 28BHBE with a "half ton". Knowledge is power (far more powerful than a 250/2500 IMHO) and being aware of your weights and capacities is far more important than having a "2" on the side of your TV. Many uninformed posters confuse being a couple of hundred pounds over rated specs with those rigs that we have all seen on the road where the pilot has no idea what his/her rated capacities are and even less of a clue as to what actual loaded weights are.

The full water tanks (84 gallons) add about 700lbs to the trailer and 100 lbs to the tongue weight. If you were really concerned about payload, you could move bikes and firewood to a rack on back of TT and lift the fiberglass top off while towing which would bring you very close to your ratings. Also based on some quick calculations, if there is any heavy stuff in the front pass-through it could be shifted to rear to remove another 75 to 80lbs of tongue weight and still have 12% tongue weight, which I would not hesitate to have when pulling with the Propride. The other solution would be to get an F150 with Max Payload, but that is a discussion for another thread. I am not criticizing your setup, just illustrating for other readers that significant adjustments can be made to tongue weights/payloads depending on what you are towing and how.

It is important to remember that being 500 lbs over the 7100 GVWR of your vehicle works out to about 7% which you can assess, but in IMHO if the rest of your rig is set up properly and your Propride hitch is dialed in and brakes adjusted, this would not endanger your family and others on the road.

Wags, have you ever read an insurance policy ? I wish you would so you can stop trying to scare people with the "endangering your family" and denial of insurance warnings. If you have a quote from an insurance policy or an actual court case where insurance was denied, please share in a new thread. Otherwise, this "heard it somewhere advice" and warnings about family safety really don't contribute anything useful. World would be a safer place if you went out and weight policed those rigs on the highway that are oblivious to their weight ratings and actual weights.

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4 Maxtow, Coverking Seat Covers, Putco LED interiors, Kenwood DNX571TR GPS, Kicker Powerstage, Weathertech Floor Mats and Window Vents, Line-X, Firestone Airbags, Michelin LTX-MS2, LivewireTS 5 Star tuned, Propride 3P
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #17

I agree with Ottawasteve. If we had Astro kind of drivers on the roads, the roads would be MUCH more safer. Most people on the roads towing TT do not know what they are doing.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #18

Thanks to Ottawasteve and bono! Like I said earlier, i KNEW I would be overweight by a certain amount when we ordered the trailer. I was also
overweight with the 26BH. That is also the reason why we bought a ProPride hitch and why I bought my truck with factory towing mirrors and the TRD rear anti-sway bar. 60% of the time the truck is empty and my Ran 2500 got 10.5 to 11 mpg empty! only got 8 mpg towing our 232 hybrid! I also agree I could drop the fresh water, carry less firewood, move the bikes out back and take the ARE cap off...but those are not all happening! We will be running with less fresh much of the time and could move more to the rear storage compartment.

To doo800XRS...No, we bought from Seven O's in Kirkville, East of Syracuse.

To TwoBit...Get the 27..pull with the Tundra but be sure to setup a good WDH with sway control and hit up a CAT scale so you know where you are. That camper is lighter than mine...you will be fine with the correct equipment.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
I would like to thank Astro for providing some intelligent actual experience on towing a 28BHBE with a "half ton". Knowledge is power (far more powerful than a 250/2500 IMHO) and being aware of your weights and capacities is far more important than having a "2" on the side of your TV. Many uninformed posters confuse being a couple of hundred pounds over rated specs with those rigs that we have all seen on the road where the pilot has no idea what his/her rated capacities are and even less of a clue as to what actual loaded weights are.

The full water tanks (84 gallons) add about 700lbs to the trailer and 100 lbs to the tongue weight. If you were really concerned about payload, you could move bikes and firewood to a rack on back of TT and lift the fiberglass top off while towing which would bring you very close to your ratings. Also based on some quick calculations, if there is any heavy stuff in the front pass-through it could be shifted to rear to remove another 75 to 80lbs of tongue weight and still have 12% tongue weight, which I would not hesitate to have when pulling with the Propride. The other solution would be to get an F150 with Max Payload, but that is a discussion for another thread. I am not criticizing your setup, just illustrating for other readers that significant adjustments can be made to tongue weights/payloads depending on what you are towing and how.

It is important to remember that being 500 lbs over the 7100 GVWR of your vehicle works out to about 7% which you can assess, but in IMHO if the rest of your rig is set up properly and your Propride hitch is dialed in and brakes adjusted, this would not endanger your family and others on the road.

Wags, have you ever read an insurance policy ? I wish you would so you can stop trying to scare people with the "endangering your family" and denial of insurance warnings. If you have a quote from an insurance policy or an actual court case where insurance was denied, please share in a new thread. Otherwise, this "heard it somewhere advice" and warnings about family safety really don't contribute anything useful. World would be a safer place if you went out and weight policed those rigs on the highway that are oblivious to their weight ratings and actual weights.

I have sat on a jury where the lawyers brought up everything you could think of, not an RV accident but an auto accident. They can tell if your lights were burning at the time of the accident, if your brakes were adequate, if your tires were inflated correctly, speed, weight (car was way over loaded and couldn't stop properly) etc. I would never want to be exposed to that type of interrogation. Don't know how it turned out they settled half way through the trial. But the guy who was overloaded lost. And if you have postings saying you know your over weight....well....not me...sorry, not the hill I want to die on.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #20

I did some research around this. The only reason somebody could be SUCCESSFULLY sued is due to wilful negligence being the MAIN contributing factor to an accident.

Towing over the manufacturers towing specs, which have zero legal bearings, is not wilful negligence, especially in the absence of engineering standards governing these specs.

This is not a legal advice. Contact your lawyer, if you want to confirm the details.

bono is offline   Reply With Quote