Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
We have Firestone bags with separate air valves. They have not lost any air on our truck. I opted for separate valves to fill because that is one less connection that can leak. We carry a small air compressor for the truck and trailer tires and use that after hooking up to fill the bags.
I had the same set up a few trucks ago when I was towing a 10,000 pound boat/trailer combo.

Russ & Tracy
Oshkosh, WI

2000 10' popup
2000 30' with triple bunks.
2011 25BHS
2016 34RSBS
Type-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
I had Airlift bags on my '09 Ram and they were great. They were the inner-coil type. I kept them at 20 PSI all the time and they never leaked. I am waiting until after our first trip with the new truck to see if i want a set for the new truck.

2012 Jayco Jay Flight 267BHS - Equal-i-zer WDH
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 CTD
Me (Greg), DW & DDx2
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
Originally Posted by tmsbandman View Post
Hmm. Makes sense, although I would think your outboard bag would lose pressure to the inside, since the outside would be under more stress. Would a foot pump suffice? Seems like they go to 50+ PSI
You have it exactly backwards.. the inside bag would have more stress as the body would lift on the outside. If the bags were tied together the air would be forced out of the bag under stress and into the unloaded bag.
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
140 days boondocking in 2016
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
We had airbags on our old class C. There were separate valves for each bag and at times I did use the bags for leveling. I doubt you would do that on the TV, but having separate valves was never a problem. I see no reason to have a built in compressor. I always carry a 12-V one to keep tires properly inflated. Just check tires and bags regularly and adjust as needed.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
Questions about air bag suspension

I had airbags on my F-350 and can comment on how it tunes the ride.

I could control ride height and bring it up to unloaded levels, above where the factory overloads are in use. This height rode smoothly but was not as stable.

I found running right where the overloads are in use to be the most stable.
G Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
I have the Ride-Rite bags on my truck. Love them and wouldn't tow without them. I have mine plumbed separately as well. I made an "inflation device" to make it easier to change the air pressure in the bags and keep the bags equal pressure.
Dave and Amy
5 kids...2 with 2 legs, 3 with 4 legs
2008 Jayco Jay Flight G2 29FBS "No Worries"...traded in on a...
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
I have had Airlift bags on two trucks so far and have really liked both setups. I also had the on board compressors and really liked the versatility that they added. It made it a lot easier to pump up the bags with the trailer attached because I didn't have to wheel my compressor out or use a 100' hose from the garage. The wireless setup that Airlift has is pretty slick because you don't have to run anything into the cab and you can pinpoint exact pressures with the remote (I checked with a gauge when I first set it up and the system is accurate).
'11 G2 32BHDS
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
Originally Posted by DMRGMC View Post
We have Ride Rites as well. It was explained to me that it would make for a smoother ride. There is no more thump when you hit the expansion joints or other bumps on the roadway. It works the same way as an air ride pin box, but you have 2 air bags. I opted for the on board compressor so as not to have to deal with any set up. It is on the under side of the floor (exterior) beneath the drivers seat.There is also a valve installed in the plate of the 7 pin connector at the rear beside the receiver hitch if I need to use an external pump. It has not lost any air in 4 or 5 years. Once the 5er is hitched up I bring the pressure up to 60 psi and the unit is level.
I have used the inflation and deflation capability to raise and lower the truck instead of the front jacks of the 5er. The controler (inflator/dump vale) is mounted on the bottom of the dash board to the left of the brake control for easy access from the cab. The controller is illuminated in the dark. You can even fill or deflate on the fly! We got the Morryde pin box as well, even smoother. One caution is to inspect the installation periodically. During an emergency brake repair in Charleston in May the Technician noticed the nuts on the mounting hardware were loose and he tightened them. Wouldn't be without them.
I want to give some information about the Firestone Ride Rite air springs that we had installed on our tow vehicle 4 or 5 years ago. On the first day of a trip to Prince Edward Island this past July there was a slight leak in the system. I tried to diagnose in the field but couldn't. The only visible signs was a rust residue on the left side in the middle of the bellows and at the top where the mounting hardware is attached to the bellows. The right side bellows looked like it just came out of the box.
At first it required topping up the system every 300 kilometers. The rougher the road the more topping. It seemed to get worse after a couple of weeks. Nothing catastrophic happened, the system otherwise performed properly, so I waited until we returned home and went back to the shop that installed the system. That was August 15. They found a leak at the top where the mounting hardware is attached. They replaced the left side air spring at my cost and sent the unit to Firestone for warranty replacement. I had to remind the shop that there was a lifetime warranty. I also got the manufacturers supplied fittings replaced with compression fittings to prevent further slow leaks that are common with the kit fittings.
The shop took some time to send the unit to Firestone, trying to save freight expenses to me, by giving to the Firestone rep. The rep was tardy. I called the shop today and found out that Firestone refunded the cost of the air spring and the sales tax to the amount of $222.61. No labour. We were happy that Firestone stood by their product and warranty, not blaming it on the unlikely maintenance outlined in the warranty.

Married To The Navigator
2005 Red GMC Duramax 4X4 HD Crew Cab
2012 321RLTS
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote