Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

2008 Jayco X17 Hybrid AC

I just bought a Champion 3100 generator, but just tried to turn on AC on low AC and the generator went into overload.. Can someone tell me how much is needed to run this AC.

The Champion sounded like it should run an average AC.
PS- I had NOTHING else on.

Thank you,
Debsshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #2

Understanding the specifications on the Champion 3100 you do have a 30 AMP RV plug in on the side so I will assume you are using that, and plugging your TT directly in without any adapters.
According to the specs the Champion, nominal output is 2800 watts with maximum 3100 watts. With that said, under normal circumstances it will run your TT AC unit. However, if you have been running on battery for a while, there are variables which you may not be aware of when you start your generator and plug your TT in. You may not have anything else turned on, however, your TT converter will sense the power, and automatically kick on to charge the TT battery. Also, your refrigerator sensor to kick on the propane lighting ability will sense and if your refrigerator is set to auto, it may trip off running on propane and switch over to run on electricity. Also, there is the sensor to ignite the water heater with draws power if it is turn on, or even some water heaters will run on electricity and battery. Then there is the gas/carbon monoxide detector which is always drawing. All these components draw very little, but they do add up.

When you plug into the generator, put your ear next to your fuse/circuit breaker box/converter and see if you can hear fans kicking on. This would indicate it is trying to charge the TT battery.

Finally, with all this said, your AC is going to draw a lot. If you are running your AC while on the generator it is going to kick on to high load.

It should not go into overload. If the generator goes into overload it will trip its own circuit.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsshopper View Post
I just bought a Champion 3100 generator, but just tried to turn on AC on low AC and the generator went into overload.. Can someone tell me how much is needed to run this AC.

The Champion sounded like it should run an average AC.
PS- I had NOTHING else on.

Thank you,
A Champion 3100 should have enough power to RUN your AC. The problem is STARTING your AC. AC units pull LOTS of amps at start up, especially in hot weather (when you REALLY need it) and/or at high elevations.

Installing a 'hard start capacitor' to your AC might add just enough start up current to get it running. It's possible, too, that starting your AC when the air temperature is cooler (before you really need the AC) could make the difference.

Hopefully, you'll hear from others with the same generator. (See NVGun40 he's faster in the enter key.)
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #4

See if you can find out the rated amps on the A/C unit. Should be on a label on the A/C Volts times Amps will equal Watts the difference between low A/C and High A/C is fan speed Not the compressor Also when the compressor first comes on there is what is called inrush current which will also require more watts just for a mini second or two This could be enough to cause the generator to go into overload.

The 3100 should be able to handle 25 amps but that at 100% most will handle about 80% without any problems
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

I have a similar setup as you describe - a 2008 17C with a 13500 AC and a 3100 Champion Inverter. My generator ran my AC just fine last week in Kentucky at around 85 degrees. I had the generator set with Econ mode ON and it cycled just fine. I did notice that last year at >90 degrees the Econ mode needed to be set OFF due to overload. However, the generator still ran the AC when set to Econ OFF.
carras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:15 AM   #6

Debsshopper, Thanks for your note. I could not respond viaPM due to not having enough posts. I have not used my setup above 600ft elevation
Old 07-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #7

I am happy, happy to say I tried it again..Slower..I let the generator warm up for 5 minutes, reg mode. Then turned on low fan, letting it run for 30 seconds before going up to high fan and then to low and high AC..No overload this time. Did you say you turned on your AC in the econo mode? I'm going to test that next..But very happy for now!
Debsshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:27 AM   #8

Yes, Econ mode was on and it worked fine at 85 degrees It automatically revs up when the AC compressor turns on. However, last year at>90 degrees, I had to leave Econ mode off or it would overload