Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #1

Storage Question

So have you guys come up w/ any storage solutions for items you'd typically carry in bins since most of the Jayco models have no external storage?

Are you guys putting all your stuff in bins and sticking it in the bed of the TV? Have you figured out some way to get the bins in the trailer w/o them sliding all over the place?

I'm thinking you'd need a electrical bin, a sewer bin, and a fresh water bin at minimum right?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #2

Which model do you have? I have an x17z (one of the smaller hybrids) and it does have an external storage compartment big enough to hold all of the things you mentioned.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:25 PM   #3

I have a 2017 34RSBS and it has all kinds of storage?
Attached Thumbnails
Camper.JPG  
MccBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I'm thinking you'd need a electrical bin, a sewer bin, and a fresh water bin at minimum right?
This is what we have. I also have a smaller bin for lubricants, seal maintenance stuff, grease, that kind of stuff. Maybe I've been lucky but I haven't had a problem with the bins sliding around that much while on the road.

We also use bins inside the camper to store pots and pans and things I don't want becoming airborn when I hit a speed bump or pothole.

I like the 'bin system' because it's modular, and I know where everything is.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #5

I have four bins in the externally accessed storage (under the j-steel sofa) for all of the above items except sewer. That stuff I keep in a fence post cover attached behind the axles. X19H model. We also use a ton of bins inside for kitchen and sundry storage. Have no lack of internal or external storage on mine.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #6

I'm considering the X19h - thanks for the feedback and info. I saw it only has one storage door so I was concerned w/ what could fit in there.

Mind you I'm coming from a motorhome so one compartment .... eh.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #7

We use bins of all sorts of sizes everywhere we can. We do have a decent size outside storage. Water hose, filter, and regulator, extra 110 outdoor cord, extension mirrors, awning lights, all go in this storage area. I have a old milk crate type of container with odds and ends, things like silicone spray, extra lighters, etc. Another smaller bin holds essentials like my brake controller when not in use, my cheap Harbor Freight cordless drill, and other stuff.

Inside in the storage area behind the U shaped dinette bench we have small bins for first aid stuff, toiletries, batteries, remotes for TVs and other electronic related stuff, hats, and other odds and ends.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I'm considering the X19h - thanks for the feedback and info. I saw it only has one storage door so I was concerned w/ what could fit in there.

Mind you I'm coming from a motorhome so one compartment .... eh.
Sure thing. Since you are looking at the 19H, a couple of more particulars.

With the 19H specifically, the external door is short but fairly wide, so your bins have to be properly sized. TT is in storage, so I can't give you exact dimensions, but I found ones that are just a bit smaller (H and W) than the door, and just a bit shorter than the sofa depth; perfect fit. Note that the front of the sofa also lifts so that the storage area can be accessed from inside if needed.

Bin 1 is electrical and carries our 30A extension, two 15A extensions, dogbones, exterior party lights.
Bin 2 is freshwater and carries potable water hose, filter, thief and strain relief. Also auxiliary hose and propane hookup hoses for external BBQ and Camp stove.
Bin 3 is primarily camp fire stuff and bug lanterns.
Bin 4 is general campsite decor (flags, clotheslines, anything that pretties up the site).
The solar panel slides in on top of the four bins, and there is enough spare space for wheel chocks Andersen levellers etc. There is also a very long area that stretches across the entire front of the TT that I use for long items like the broom, fire pokers, WDH bars in storage, etc.

For the tall bulky items like camp chairs and tables, we keep them in the shower area during transit. I mounted a couple hooks on the wall either side and use a large bungee to hold everything standing in place.

We have added plastic drawer units to the hanging closet under the TV set for storing much of our kitchen gear. We don't generally hang clothes for camping, except for rain jackets that hang on Command strips near the door. The kitchen cabinets then are free to store food supplies. The forward cabinets and bins store all of our other items like games, craft stuff (DW brings TONS of craft stuff along).

Sounds like we stuff it full, but generally on our longer trips, I still have a couple of cabinets completely empty. When we do finally figure out how to fill it up, it will probably be time to buy a bigger unit
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Sounds like we stuff it full, but generally on our longer trips, I still have a couple of cabinets completely empty. When we do finally figure out how to fill it up, it will probably be time to buy a bigger unit
I'm drawn to this one b/c of its smaller towed size, lack of complexity (slide-outs) and its relatively decent CCC given it's size. I like the 23B floorplan a lot too (even though it has the slide) but it doesn't have a lot of CCC; my 2nd Jayco was a 17z and I learned a very expensive lesson in CCC.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #10

I'm a "has-bin".

Bins in the kitchen. Bins in the outboard storage. :-)