Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
After 10 years I'd be surprised it if didn't develop a leak or two, especially without maintenance. Did you follow the owners manual and inspect the roof, windows, and all joints for cracked and dry caulking? Like it or not that's the owner's responsibility. It's not a quality issue. It's just the way RVs are made.

There is no design that's perfect for everyone except for the one you build yourself. For example, our current trailer lacks a couple of things, notably a drawer. Seems like a no-brainer, right? Well the rest of the floor plan is ideal for us so the lack of drawers was not a show stopper. I'm having some custom drawers made and will be mounting them in the bottom section of the pantry cabinet where there is lots of extra room.

Our current hybrid trailer was purchased new last year. We traded an '03 Jayco Kiwi 17a that we also bought new. That trailer replaced a '93 Jayco 1208 PUP that was purchased new. I kept up with the maintenance and the only leak I ever had was a small one on the Kiwi that was easily fixed with Eternabond tape. Overall Jayco makes pretty solid trailers but their fit and finish is lacking. On every one of them I've had to make adjustments to things like door latches, tighten screws, etc. Despite taht I'd buy a 4th Jayco in a heartbeat.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
Well that stinks. We did a lot of shopping before we bought our jayco and from what I could tell all of the construction is similar the difference was in finish and we felt that Jayco did a "better than most" in this area. Then it came down to price and weight. There were another unit I liked more but it was both out our price range and it weighed too much.

In he end we liked the Jayco better than the others and the 2 year warranty helped provide a since of security just I case there were problems. My goal is to use it as much as possible before the 2 years are up to get all of the bugs out. I want to put about 10000 miles on it before the 2 year mark.

Also as with other manufactured items like cars, older products really don't compare to newer ones, I think they have come along way in design and construction and quality.

Hope you can get you problems solved.

2013 Ford F150 SCREW, 5.0, 3.55, tow package
2014 White hawk 28DSBH
1wayhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Overall Jayco makes pretty solid trailers but their fit and finish is lacking.
2 years ago we bought a used 2007 Jayfeather Export, until then we were in a 1977 Jaydove pop up. No maintanance issues with either one. Tons of great memories though, raising kids and grandkids in a Jayco is the way to go.

This said, hope you can get your issues resolved and start using your unit.

grandmawoods is offline   Reply With Quote