Last year we bought a 1 year old RV and during the final walk through at the dealership the mechanic turned on the microwave just to find it not working.
He was genuinely surprised, and insisted that it had worked before. He replaced it with a new microwave from a new RV.
We took the RV south for 2 weeks and used the microwave about 30 times or so.
During our last night on this trip the microwave failed. It would not come on. Dead as a door nail.
When I connected our RV to the outlet electricity would not flow. The microwave was always our indicator that we are connected. Instead the surge protector flashed through various error coding. Mostly that the voltage is too high (if I remember correctly). It wasn't that new to me. That surge protector seemed overly protective and sometimes it needed time to let the juices flow.
This occurred at the Kentucky Horse Park near Lexington. I remember that I had some trouble at this park on the way down south as well. But ultimately it came on.
What happened is not quite clear but I had the feeling it connected first and then broke down. My wife heard a popping sound from the microwave and that was it (my wife was inside). After that nothing would work as long as the surge protector was connected.
After switching outlets and reconnecting again and again, I finally got fed up and removed the surge protector and plugged our RV directly to the 30amp outlet without protection. All came on and was fine, the fridge, the water heater and the lights, except for the microwave.
I always first connect the cable to the outlet via our super-duper and expensive surge protector
and then switch on the circuit breaker.
I did look around the internet to see if other RVers have similar problems with their microwaves, instead I find that most microwaves seem to outlast the RVs they are installed in.
Back at home, before bringing the RV back to the storage place, I plugged the RV into one of the garage outlets, and used the surge protector again. Everything was working: the surge protector, the lights, the fridge - but not the microwave
The microwave doesn't work. Not even over outlets in our home. This is the second unit that broke after light use.
The microwave has always been protected through our surge protector only after it was already dead did I remove the surge protector.
Do we have an electrical problem or just bad luck with the microwaves?
I'm about to buy a new unit within the next weeks, since I couldn't find a circuit breaker on the microwave and I can't imagine an easy fix.
The electrical world is almost magical to me. I have no clue how you can put the sun into a bottle. So better use small words when you reply.
Thank you for your time and help.
PS 50 AMP 5th Wheel, 2012 Jayco Superlight 31.5 RLTS. Surge protector from Progressive Industries, EMS-PT50C
BTW> Do I have to contact Progressive Industries and sent them the surge protector to do something to it before setting out again? Like having them reset it? It was working fine from the garage on low amps.