Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

Day/Night Shade Repair

I've got two day night shades in my 2013 RLTS that have lost their tension. I assumed the strings broke, and I finally got around this evening to taking a look.

In both cases, the string is not broken. The plastic cord retainers/tensioners are broken. I am attaching a picture of one of the broken retainers.

I inspected a few other shades, and I discovered that most all of the retainers in my camper are cracked. I assume that whoever installed the shades at the factory overtightened those screws. I've found lots of other screws (cabinet hardware, etc.) in this camper that were overtightened at the factory.

So I am on a quest now to replace all of these retainers. I found a two piece retainer that looks like it will be easier to install than my original one piece retainer. I've sent an email to United Shade with a couple of questions about their two piece retainers. Here is link to those retainers...

Cord Retainers | The Dicor Corporation | Official Website

I'll post an update here when I complete this project.
Attached Thumbnails
20160916_190726.jpg  
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

We've had those randomly break and even completely disintegrate in some cases. In our first RV we finally removed all the plastic ones and used lifetime replacements.
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Sewin.../dp/B008MM5BDE

We found the best solution is usually to place the shade string loop around the retainer shaft and not try and use the holes. The string can be looped multiple times to create the proper tension and have the shades operate normally.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

There are a number of different type of fasteners that can be used. The two piece retainers simply capture the string(s) and allow you to pull on them to tension to taste and then tighten them down to hold.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:06 AM   #4

This is the source I use for all shade parts, etc.: Blinds & Shades Replacement Parts | Repair Instructions | FixMyBlinds.com

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

I replaced all of the day/night shades in our living area with blinds. I had to restring a 2 string in the bedroom and it was a PITA. The shades in the living area were all 4-6 string and after 2 of them broke, I said the heck with it. The wooden blinds look great and weren't that expensive. Lots easier to open/close than a day/night shade.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
I replaced all of the day/night shades in our living area with blinds. I had to restring a 2 string in the bedroom and it was a PITA. The shades in the living area were all 4-6 string and after 2 of them broke, I said the heck with it. The wooden blinds look great and weren't that expensive. Lots easier to open/close than a day/night shade.
I could see how restringing a day/night shade could be considered difficult going into it completely blind (hehe).

I don't know that I'd describe it easier to replace all the blinds in the RV with new because one requires a new fastener or replacing a string. They all wear out eventually.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

We also replaced shades with mini blinds.....can control light so much better. One of our better mods.
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I don't know that I'd describe it easier to replace all the blinds in the RV with new because one requires a new fastener or replacing a string. They all wear out eventually.
Yeah, I agree. Just giving other options. The YouTube videos on string replacement make it look easier than it is. When my spindles started breaking I just pulled out the string and looped it around the existing spindle. That worked fine until the string broke on a 4 string blind and got lodged up in the blind. That particular blind in wood [28"x40''] was $44 and included all mounting hardware. Only the living area windows [3] were converted to wood blinds and a whole lot easier to operate.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote