Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2023, 02:11 PM   #1

Roof Issue

We have a 2011 Jayco Eagle Superlite fifth wheel. We bought it new, and this trailer has lived its life in the weather in Texas. The roof membrane - EPDM I believe- is showing its age; there are no leaks now nor have I ever had a roof leak. The entire roof is chalky, and in spots showing the black membrane itself. Is there a do-it-yourself roof coating that I could apply to the roof to extend the life of the membrane? What are my options?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 03:00 PM   #2

Flex Armor is an expensive professional solution. You have to decide whether or not your RV is worth the investment but, lifetime guaranty, no more roof maintenance.

I have an appointment to do mine in February but, still not totally convinced that my RV is worth the investment. I will decide between now and then.

I can't recommend any DYI products.

https://rvroof.com
Woollymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 03:07 PM   #3

I will likely use this whenever I get around to coating my roof top. Also, keep in mind that EPDM is almost all black and the white coating is a very thin layer. According to most EPDM manufactures the turning black you are seeing doesn't mean that it will leak or fail, more cosmetic, although I suspect it gets much hotter in the summer time. ~CA

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-88...S018/205049553
Old 12-06-2023, 04:31 PM   #4

Found this on the forum several years ago
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3777.jpg  
Old 12-09-2023, 03:49 PM   #5

I like Henry products. The silicone coating looks durable, but according to answers from Henry on the home depot site the silicone coating will not stick reliably to Eternabond, and I have lots of it on my roof. But, Henry has other coatings that may be perfect for my roof. Thanks to all for some great leads.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 12-09-2023, 06:06 PM   #6
Site Team

I recoated my EPDM roof last January. I bought 1 gallon of primer and 2 gallons of Dicor topcoat from CW. I cleaned it real good and put the primer on with a brush and roller. I taped the sides and end seams. 2 coats of topcoat, also cut in with a brush and finished with a roller.it still looks and cleans up nice after 1 year.

I could not be happier with the outcome. I did not want to invest the money in a spray on top as my rig is in good shape and no leaks but it's 12 years old.

I have a thread on the work here on JOF: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ted-27846.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:42 PM   #7

The Dicor product may be better, but there "may" be even a better product than the Dicor.

I inspect my roof several times a year and around 5~6 years ago I noticed the rooftop wasn't as white as it had been. Not black just some spots of black showing through where the white had worn away. It was at that time I did some research and determined that my rooftop was EPDM made by Alpha System and they confirmed that and recommended their brand of Rubber Roof Coating telling me it was the very best coating for the Alpha System EPDM roof like I have (and perhaps yours is made by them as well). I was also told that the white portion is very thin and not really an issue that will cause leaks and more of a cosmetic thing. In any case, I still plan to coat my rooftop although it is still not bad looking and not black like I have seen from pictures of RV's around the age of mine. I would say mine is still ~85% white but I wouldn't mind recoating it one day.

However and to change gears so to speak, about 4~5 years ago I found water in my shower that shouldn't have been there and this discovery was after a recent heavy rain for many days. When the rain stopped I got on the roof and discovered that my shower's skylight had all types of spider web looking cracks in it, nothing broken but lots of little cracks and that the dicor around the base of the skylight looked ok but concerning as it had all types of spider web cracks. Because more rain was expected in the upcoming week I wanted to do something at that time and planned to do something better later. I had read on another RV site about the Henry's Tropicool that I could get at HomeDepot so I went there and purchased one gallon and I already had some Eternabond tape.

I cleaned the roof extremely well with soap and water for about a foot perimeter of the skylight and then I eternabonded all around the skylight from about an inch or two up the side of the skylight to about 4~5 inches out from the base of the skylight. I had the 4" eternabond so I suspect about two rows cut nice and square with the upper row of tape overlapping the lower tape. Then I took a cheap disposable paintbrush that I also picked up at HD (came in a 3 pack) and coated the entire skylight and liked what I saw so I continued and coated over the Eternabond and and about 8" out and around the perimeter of the skylight onto the area that I had cleaned. I put on a thick coat because I had a gallon and didn't want to do anymore than that one area and a thick coat is kind of the nature of the product anyway and then after waiting for ever how long the instructions say to wait I added another coat (used a new brush). Everything looked great and in fact after ~5 years now that whole area is the best looking area on my entire roof, no peeling, bright white, skylight looking great and less light coming through but some (I didn't like all the light from it anyway). I still get on my roof ever ~3 months and I can state that the tropicool has not peeled from the eternabond, nor from the skylight and not from the EPDM. As mentioned, it is the best looking area on the roof.

I consider what I did as in part an experiment which is why (one of the reasons) that I only did a small section of the roof itself. The results for me were positive with the Henry's product and it is thick and bright white that supposedly will allow the roof to stay cooler according the Henry's.

In summary, I still haven't decided what coating I will use as the time is coming soon where I should coat mine as well. One other thought I had is the opposite with the eternabond, not that Henry's may not stick well to eternabond but the other way around as the Henry's product is silicone based and my thought is that Eternabond may not stick well to it (which I have not tested for). So if I use the tropicool I will plan to make sure everything I want eternabonded is done prior to coating. The Alpha and Dicor coatings may not be silicone (haven't checked) which could be a plus for either of them. Feel free to share the results of whatever you decide and how it worked out for you. ~CA

BTW, not to rewrite what I wrote, but I did clean the entire area a second time (just prior to applying the Henry's coating), with Dawn and hot water and cleaned the eternabond tape, not that it was dirty but in case of oil or something in the tape as I was concerned as well about the adhesion aspect.
Old 12-09-2023, 09:10 PM   #8

I had meant to share this link:

The roof I have and likely yours as well:

https://alphallc.us/wp-content/uploa...bber-Roofs.pdf
Old 12-10-2023, 06:36 AM   #9

Nothing better than real experience that the Henry silicone roof topping does in fact stick to Eternabond. Exactly the opposite of what Henry answered several times in the questions under the Henry product on HD's site.

Thanks greatly!!

Old 12-10-2023, 09:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Nothing better than real experience that the Henry silicone roof topping does in fact stick to Eternabond. Exactly the opposite of what Henry answered several times in the questions under the Henry product on HD's site.

Thanks greatly!!
Just to add, I am not saying I recommend Henry's Tropicool over other products just that it worked well in my situation. One concern I would have is that future repairs could be an issue as Henry's is silicone based so if I needed to seal a new vent with dicor sealant, perhaps the dicor won't stick to Henry's silicone based coating. I don't know, I also don't know if Henry's will adhere to Henry's (itself) years later. If so then it is thick enough not to need dicor and I could reapply some more Henry's as needed (if needed).

I looked this morning and Camping World doesn't have what Alpha Systems recommended years back but they do have a later Alpha Systems roof coating product that is likely very similar. What I did notice was that both Dicor and Alpha roof coatings are Acrylic instead of Henry's Silicone based product. I need to read up more on all of this as being Acrylic may be a better choice, not sure though but certainly I believe Acrylic may be better. ~CA
Old 12-10-2023, 04:41 PM   #11

I believe that Henry's also has acrylic roof coatings
and I think they are cheaper than their silicone product.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:29 PM   #12

15+ years of full time in a 5th wheel for work, have seen my share of roof / leak drama and tried a few solutions along the way. I currently have a 17 Pinnacle 36 KPTS, in 2021 I had Flex Armor applied by Elite RV in Palmetto FL after a few tears in the membrane from storm damage. I was apprehensive about the cost but after almost 2 years, I can't say enough about how good this product is. No issues, no bubbles, no leaks, no stains.
If you plan to keep your rig for any length of time it is worth it, I've already decided when I trade this one in in a few years the first stop for the new one will be at Elite RV for the same roof.
Seadubyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woollymonster View Post
Flex Armor is an expensive professional solution. You have to decide whether or not your RV is worth the investment but, lifetime guaranty, no more roof maintenance.

I have an appointment to do mine in February but, still not totally convinced that my RV is worth the investment. I will decide between now and then.

I can't recommend any DYI products.

https://rvroof.com
-------------
My trailer is 11 years old now...and also in Texas. I like it, and I hope to keep using the same trailer until I shouldn't be towing and driving any longer. There aren't any 'bugs' in it (meaning, everything works as it should).

Although the roof wasn't leaking it was due a replacement. I was tired of caulking the seams (also did eternabond), and the roof seems to be farther from the ground than it used to be. I had Flex Armor in Denton do my roof in the fall of 2022.

Couple of hail storms later, lots of rain...I'm still pleased.

I spent the night in their lot (free electric available) and left it with them the next morning.

They will repair bad spots if you have any...up to a certain amount before they charge extra for it.

If for some reason I ever get another trailer or RV I'll pay for another Flex Armor within a year. There are no seams to inspect!

The only thing bad about Flex Armor is they won't do the slide.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:08 PM   #14

garywilson, what is Flex Armor's concern about doing the slide?