Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #1

2017 Jayco 31fs cable/hdtv hookup help

I just brought this new rig home a few days ago, and I really can't figure out the cable/hdtv setup. It has the hdtv antennae(not the one with led meter), and the black box in the upper right cabinet with all the cables that run to it. That box is marked Dvd/Sat 1 and a few other things. In that upper cabinet there is also a cable hookup with a boost button, but there is nothing connected to it. If any of you folks have a recent model Jayco motorhome with a similar setup, I would be grateful for any advice. I was in a campground and connected to the cable hookup on the outside of the rig but got nothing. There are four TV's in this rig. The manuals are really no help. Thanks in advance.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #2

I'm in a 2016 31FK and haven't done satellite yet, but for cable - I hook the campground cable to an RG6 input that's in my electrical bay. Same cubbie that has the 30A power cord.

Then it's inside and I turn off the booster (behind the big TV in our rig). Then it's bring up the menu on the TV, under Channel, I kick it from Air to "Cable" then finally it's a channel rescan.
pconroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 AM   #3

31DS here....same as last post. We hooked up Dish as well.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #4

We have a Seneca 37FS, but the TV and HDMI unit does not know the difference of what kind of unit it is in.

The HDMI is already hooked up to the TV's in the truck. You don't have to touch that. Just hook up your source of TV reception to your system. Satellite TV does not like the Booster and you need to have provisions to get around it. Some units are setup with separate Cable and Satellite coax connections, if you don't have that, you need to create it with a "splitter" before the booster. There are lots of articles written about how to do this. Sounds daunting, but after creating it on 3 different RV units, 2 trailers and then this Seneca, its all just cosmetics.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #5

Shouldn't have to switch anything around. For cable, go to Menu and make sure TV is set to "cable" and not "air". Have to do a channel scan next, and that should be it! Then of course when you raise the antenna, switch to "air".
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroga View Post
31DS here....same as last post. We hooked up Dish as well.
For satellite/dish, do you have to have a home account to get it for the rig? I don't have satellite at home. If you can get it for just the rig, how much does it cost? Or how much does it add to your home bill?
Old 04-10-2017, 05:37 AM   #7

For satellite service, it depends who you get it from. Direct TV is a contract service with them owning all of the equipment. Dish, you purchase and own the equipment and they have a service that you "Pay as You Go" by the month and turn on and off as you use it. You can get the equipment at Camping World or other services. We've been with Dish for 7 years now and very pleased. Even got it for the house and got rid of cable. We have a "jetpack" for internet service.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 04-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #8

Much thanks to you all. " There are lots of articles written about how to do this." Mr Golding, are these articles in this forum or could you direct me to them? Also, what is a jetpack? Thanks, Don
Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #9

Don - specifically, a jetpack is a device from Verizon. But what he's referring to is sometimes called a MiFi or Hotspot device by other carries.

It's a standalone device that you usually get from your cellular provider and it provides a WiFi hotspot in your RV that your other devices can connect to. You use 'data' from your cell plan for Internet.

Most modern smartphones can do the same thing these days.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
Mr Golding, are these articles in this forum or could you direct me to them?
You'd probably use the Search function above and type in "Dish TV" or "DirecTV" and wade thru the articles.

Good news is that there is pretty much just two providers to choose from if you want satellite TV in the RV: Dish and DirecTV.

If you have one of them at home, then you might be biased and simply ask them your options for putting something in your RV.

If you don't have one already, then the answer to "which one is best?" can get complicated. Best might be: most channels, or most sports channels or best reception or most HD channels or lowest cost or best local channels, etc.

To get going, you need a Receiver, an antenna, a TV and some cabling. Which receiver - it depends. Which antenna - it depends.

You might want to start by just googling "Dish for my RV" and read up there. Then look for the same thing from DirecTV.

Feel free to ask questions, I'm just not sure whether we're rehashing things you already know.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
Much thanks to you all. " There are lots of articles written about how to do this." Mr Golding, are these articles in this forum or could you direct me to them? Also, what is a jetpack? Thanks, Don
It looks like you got the answer on the "JetPack".

As far as an article on the separation of the Booster - Google "You Tube on How to Install Satellite Receiver in an RV".

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 04-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #12

Thank you Ric and all you guys. With your help I got the over the air part worked out, and next Ill look into the Dish. My last rig was a 96 Jayco Eagle and things have really evolved electronically since then. Appreciate all your help.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:39 AM   #13

Wow! Yes, things have evolved. In 1996, the internet was still in its infancy. Forums were just starting, digital cameras were becoming the rage and cell phones were just coming out of the arena of "bag phones".
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 04-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #14

I have the 2017 31FS and it took me a little bit to figure it out. It looks like the DVD player int he dash only plays on the TV above the cab. I will have to check b ut I think that is HDMI1 on the TV setting. Now the Antenna is hooked up to all of the TV's and you have to set those to Video 1 or antenna ( again I will check to verify ). The other ports on the switch box are for additional inputs. Computer, DVD/Blueray, Sat. I have not hooked up the cable yet but I think there is a little button on the RJ45 wall plate. It has to be on for either cable or TV I forget but will check.

You should not have to connect/disconnect anything at the TV. Just change the inputs to make things work, and yes you will have to search on each TV in each new location is my guess.

MD
dornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornado View Post
I think there is a little button on the RJ45 wall plate. It has to be on for either cable or TV I forget but will check.
If you have the same thing i do, that button on the RG6 plate controls the antenna booster. On for OTA TV and off when hooked up to camp cable.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #16

I can't thank you guys enough for all this great information. It's really a great help.