Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #1

31Fs Cab over is dull

Hey folks, I need some suggestions on what to use for my cab over area. The outside was waxed at xmas when we went to myrtle beach and now it looks dull and chalky. I know rejex keeps the bugs off but I need to rejuvenate it.
I have used floor wax on my last class a and that worked like a charm but was looking for suggestions before I commit.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:31 AM   #2

Mine is the same way. I think it is oxidized, and am going to try some rubbing compound on a small spot to see if that helps. It has needed work for a couple of years, but it is such a PITA to get up there safely I have kept putting it off.
Might need to avoid using rubbing compound on the Decals though.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird47 View Post
Mine is the same way. I think it is oxidized, and am going to try some rubbing compound on a small spot to see if that helps. It has needed work for a couple of years, but it is such a PITA to get up there safely I have kept putting it off.
Might need to avoid using rubbing compound on the Decals though.

I did some research last night in some forums and I'll be using the 3m marine color gloss restorer. Then a nice thick coat of meguiars marine wax.

3M 09089 Marine Color/Glass Restorer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RZNLFE..._RBdjzb7VW9TQG

Old 05-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #4

Sounds good. One issue is the Decals, see this quote below from Questions on the Amazon website:

"Do not apply over colored decals! I did and they turned black. I had no problem with the already black boat numbers. But it got on to one decal which I was trying to avoid and it turned completely black and lost all color."

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivoltage98 View Post
Hey folks, I need some suggestions on what to use for my cab over area. The outside was waxed at xmas when we went to myrtle beach and now it looks dull and chalky. I know rejex keeps the bugs off but I need to rejuvenate it.
I have used floor wax on my last class a and that worked like a charm but was looking for suggestions before I commit.
Thanks

My Greyhawk did the same thing. I was told that it was due to a lack of UV protection added to the clearcoat on the front cap. I tried waxes and polishes, but nothing fixed it. Jayco covered having the front cap sanded and re-painted under warranty. I had it done at Lazy Days in Tampa and they did an outstanding job.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #6

Rather than rubbing "compound" I would recommend a cutting polish. If you don't have too many swirls and just want to knock off oxidation, you might like Chemical Guys - V36 Optical Grade Cutting Polish (16 oz)
Old 05-24-2017, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvteach77 View Post
My Greyhawk did the same thing. I was told that it was due to a lack of UV protection added to the clearcoat on the front cap. I tried waxes and polishes, but nothing fixed it. Jayco covered having the front cap sanded and re-painted under warranty. I had it done at Lazy Days in Tampa and they did an outstanding job.

I had read some information on that. Unfortunately it said only if your the original owner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #8

Might consider "HullBrite" marine polish available at wally world. I use it on my GH which was oxidized all over when I got it, and it cuts the oxidation pretty good, does not damage the decals too much (depends on decal condition) and puts a good shine on the FG. I use a buffer/polisher as well but it's still a major project to do & complete. The front cap on mine is heavily oxidized, and when I do it, it looks good for 60 days then back to looking crappy.

If you have or get a new unit, and keep it waxed, it will look good for years, but you have to stay on top of it.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:53 AM   #9

I finally got around to doing the cab- I used 3m marine gel coat restorer with a wool pad on a high speed buffer, then put a coat of meguiars marine wax. Looks like new. All the vinyl graphics look great too.