Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #31

I wish the 6.7 in the Seneca ran like the 6.7 in my '16 Ram 3500. 385HP & 900 ftlbs a with a 400RPM higher rev limit.

The 2600 RPM limit is the design difference between the two 6.7's the Seneca being the rear gear set to drive the compressor for brakes, suspension, etc. As stated in an earlier post, the Alison 2500 is rated at 700 ftlbs. I too looked at the Force HD with the 8.9 however; again as stated in an earlier post the floor plans didn't quite work.

I'm looking into a tune change to boost the power in addition to strengthening the Alison. I will post my results as I move forward with the upgrades. I also hate the slow lane!

LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #32

I was just in Custer, last week in my Seneca!!! We weren't towing, but she did 'ok'. I don't think I got below 55 on the hills unless I wanted to. For me, going down the hills is where the Seneca shines over the gassers. I flip on the engine break and relax!!! -Funny enough: I don't see too many Senecas out on the road, so I was pretty shocked to see what I was camping next to at Mt. Rushmore

I'm with LSA376 that a slight tune might alleviate a lot of our power cravings. But like a lot of others, I'm worried that the Allison or the cooling would be adversely affected.

On our trip to Mammoth Cave in Central Kentucky towing a 20' enclosed 8000# plus full provisions, I was down in the 40's a LOT and the cooling fan was constantly running. She definitely seemed to labor up those hills, but I'm also 100% certain we were overloaded. With that being said, I still got 8mpg... So, there's that... LOL
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0681.jpg  

Old 08-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSA376 View Post
I wish the 6.7 in the Seneca ran like the 6.7 in my '16 Ram 3500. 385HP & 900 ftlbs a with a 400RPM higher rev limit.

The 2600 RPM limit is the design difference between the two 6.7's the Seneca being the rear gear set to drive the compressor for brakes, suspension, etc. As stated in an earlier post, the Alison 2500 is rated at 700 ftlbs. I too looked at the Force HD with the 8.9 however; again as stated in an earlier post the floor plans didn't quite work.

I'm looking into a tune change to boost the power in addition to strengthening the Alison. I will post my results as I move forward with the upgrades. I also hate the slow lane!
I would be very interested in the results. I think those two things would help tremendously on the power, and be much cheaper than buying a new motor home.
seneca37rb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #34

How do you take the 37FK out of overdrive?
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdbody View Post
How do you take the 37FK out of overdrive?
Should be a rocker switch on dash.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Should be a rocker switch on dash.
I you have a good pair of binoculars or an average telescope, you can see it from the driver's seat. -It's over near the passenger's side of the dash.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #37

I usually don't miss things like this but have to look. I have 10K on our Seneca and it consistently delivers 10mpg pulling either an aluminum F150 or a Jeep Wrangler. Question: If leaving the OD switch alone as I apparently have done in the past, it is using OD right but I'm just not taking it out when needed?
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdbody View Post
I usually don't miss things like this but have to look. I have 10K on our Seneca and it consistently delivers 10mpg pulling either an aluminum F150 or a Jeep Wrangler. Question: If leaving the OD switch alone as I apparently have done in the past, it is using OD right but I'm just not taking it out when needed?
You will likely get several opinions on when to use/not use overdrive. It is probable you have had it in the "enabled" (on) position considering the mileage you report.

I disable overdrive when I sense the transmission wants to "hunt" between gears while driving. Generally this in on uphill grades but it also has happened when I am bucking a strong headwind. Frequently when I am on two-lane highways that have rolling hills I also need to disengage it.

I have a ScanGauge installed and I keep transmission temperature monitored all the time. I have noticed the transmission fluid temperature will go up when I am in a situation where the transmission is shifting a lot. Those situations are when I will disable overdrive and the temp will quickly settle back down.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #39

Someone mentioned the difficulty in where Freightliner located the OD switch, I agree. I have had my dash apart numerous times for upgrades and one of the first things I did was switch the location of the mirror heat and OD switches. I seldom need mirror heat, but regularly access the OD switch.

I have identified what the switch looks like, as well as where I put mine, in the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Overdrive switch (relocated).jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #40

Plenty of power...

Here is an update on how the Seneca works when you are towing at full capacity.

We are halfway thru our Winter trip from Utah to Texas – and our trip South was without any issues. We are pulling our 28-foot custom hauler with our Toyota FJC loaded with it’s usual offroad gear. Our overall weight is 32,440 with 8,820 on the Steer Axle, 15,980 on the Drive Axle and 7,640 on the trailer tandems.

The rig is fully loaded when we went over the scales, Fluids were Fuel 100%, Water tank 100%, Grey Empty and Black 40% We have climbed a few passes (Soldier Summit – US-6) and did not have any significant climbing issues. We have been passing most of the commercial trucks on the grades except the empty ones.

Having a great trip so far….
Attached Thumbnails
20161029_140054.jpg  

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote