Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #1

Extended Warranty

Just bought a Greyhawk 29MV, so far so good. What is the community thoughts on extended warranties, which are good , which should I pass on? anyone with experience with Good Sam extended ? Thanks in advance for info, Joe
Joet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

Good question...watching for responses!
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #3

extended warranty

When it came time to sign the final purchase papers, I had one of those tight-sphincter moments about future expenses for repairs. Very complicated RV and almost any single major failing will cover the cost of the policy offered and negotiated down from there. It amounted to 1-1/2% of the purchase price for virtually bumper-to-bumper for years 3 through 7 with a $100 deductible. We bought our last motorhome first, so I knew we would be still the owners barring a life-surprise. The attached link goes to the coverage pdf. We have the Eagle-Plus, which covers the in-dash Clarion NX501 GPS and DVD player that I know will fail before then.
http://www.uswceagle.com/storage/pro...20Brochure.pdf
Time will tell whether it was thumbs up.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
Site Team

RoWest: I would never criticize you or anyone for wanting peace of mind and that is why most buy them. I would be very interested if you would advise us how it works out.

I declined it on my fifth wheel and would not have collected a dime from it so hind sight is always 20-20. If I were making a MH purchase it would not be such an easy decision.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #5

Hi Joe.
I will relay my experience and you can decide for yourself, pro or con. I wouldn't fault anyone for getting it - and the piece of mind. However, a better choice, if you are disciplined enough is to sock that money away and not touch it except only for repairs. When it expires, you will likely be ahead.

I bought a greyhawk, and did go for an extended warranty, but only because it was Zero deductible and I though a steal for a price. It was not with Good Sam.
In the 4 years it was valid, I had 1 repair that cost $800. And then the gotchas kicked in. There are maximum labor rates that the warranty specifies and they don't pay the tax. So I had to pay $300 for a $800 repair.

Also, I found that, even with Zero deductible, did all the minor repairs myself (quite a few) because dropping it off at a dealer was such a hassle.

It's all about a game of chance.

Hope that helps, one way or another.

-LRP
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #6

We purchased a new Seneca last spring and I spent the following 6 months researching this very topic. In the end, I decided not to purchase and go with the "self savings plan" as the alternative. One key thing I did learn is that the dealerships get a MASSIVE mark up on these plans. Our dealership offered us a 5 year plan for $8K. That was after he knocked over $2K off because I was not biting on the sales pitch. I later learned that I could buy on-line the exact same plan directly from the insurer for $4,500. It's a personal decision on what you are most comfortable with. Just make sure you shop around before buying.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #7

The company offering the warranty always comes out ahead or they wouldn't be in business. If peace of mind is worth the price of something that is not in your favor than go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #8

The more they push the extended warranties, the more I question why I'm buying a camper that needs one. I usually present this interesting perspective to the dealer before politely declining.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #9

I went w/ Good Sam. More for peace of mind, but I figured mine IS a a motorhome so ...

Anyway I bought it straight through Good Sam and I did the yearly payments, 0% interest. I use the rebate on my Amex Blue Preferred card to pay it off every January. I never feel the pain doing it that way. And I do sleep better knowing that if something bad happens it hopefully won't be a kick in the can.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #10

Extended warranties are almost pure profit for the seller. Most people don't need it and many forget they even bought. The only extended warranty that is worthwhile is one that you get a refund when it isn't used, as Jayco used to have here in Canada
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #11

warranty

Comparing an extended warranty for a fifth wheel or travel trailer to a Seneca class C is a reach. I've had trailers, truck campers, and now a Seneca, and believe me, when mounting a creeper and rolling around looking at the mass of truck stuff, joints, shafts, gearing, mechanical gee whiz, ball joints the size of softballs, a wiring harness that is YUGE, you can sell yourself on the protection. My opinion.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I had purchased a warranty from the dealer at sale but have since cancelled. Still working it out but am feeling better about it all. I figure what with the Jayco two year warranty and the Ford 3yr I don't have to rush. Joe
Joet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #13

After a certain amount of time you will not be able to attain the same level of warranty coverage if the coach/trailer gets too old.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote