Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #1

Extended warranty

I am in the process of trading my class A for a Seneca. I purchased an extended warranty for my last motorhome. Has anyone had a good experience with these warranties?
Purdue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #2

Everyone I had came with a refund clause so when I traded I got money back. Even happened when I had our 08 SENECA and they replaced the radiator the year before I traded it.

If it is dealer backed I don't you will have any problems getting work done.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #3

I had a Good Sam policy on my DP and when the diesel injectors failed it also took out the emissions equipment which was not covered. $13,500 out of pocket. Insurer also caused delays because of cost of repairs and they wanted to verify it was necessary. Did not cover the extra days in motel. But I did get some money back when I cancelled it.

There is a school of thought that if you banked the money you pay for insurance you will have enough to cover the cost of "covered" repairs.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue 1 View Post
I am in the process of trading my class A for a Seneca. I purchased an extended warranty for my last motorhome. Has anyone had a good experience with these warranties?
The Good Sam ESP policy that is sold by Camping World Dealers ( there are more than one Good Sam program) is a joke, I wish that we had gone with another program now.

Read this thread: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...tml#post532188

PM me and I will give you my phone # for the nasty things they have done to us.

BTW- our Seneca is once again in the Draper Camping World service department... If and when we get it back -
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #5

This is always a tough decision. These polices are really a form of insurance. The companies that issue them do so to make a profit. They often have lots of hidden clauses that they use to deny claims.
On a trailer, I would not bother. If you are handy, you can deal with most problems that crop up. On a big diesel pusher, well, I am not sure I would like to tear into those complex engines/systems.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #6

I have a simple rule of thumb "Say No to all extended warranties" which makes me not have to think all at and takes emotions out of it. They price them so they will make money on the majority of them plus have many clauses where they can deny claims.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
This is always a tough decision. These polices are really a form of insurance. The companies that issue them do so to make a profit. They often have lots of hidden clauses that they use to deny claims.
On a trailer, I would not bother. If you are handy, you can deal with most problems that crop up. On a big diesel pusher, well, I am not sure I would like to tear into those complex engines/systems.
They sure do...

I find out that in the section that they say they don't cover (along with items like light bulbs, screen, floor mats, mattress, cushions and towing attachments) they have "Freight". They say that Freight means any shipping costs of getting replacement parts to the dealer are YOUR COST.

I say good luck to you when you need a replacement transmission shipped from Mexico to Maine. The Shipping costs are more than the deductible.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:02 AM   #8

WaltW says - "There is a school of thought that if you banked the money you pay for insurance you will have enough to cover the cost of "covered" repairs."

I have to agree! What we do in our travels is a controlled gamble. Good maintenance and attention to detail will prevent or resolve many issues. Extended Warranty Insurance is an emotional "What If" and, so far, has not paid off when we needed it.

Tried a couple of times over the years, never paid when I needed it. Just save the money and spend on good maintenance, better use of money.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post

I have to agree! What we do in our travels is a controlled gamble. Good maintenance and attention to detail will prevent or resolve many issues. Extended Warranty Insurance is an emotional "What If" and, so far, has not paid off when we needed it.
Our's always have. As I mentioned earlier if it is dealer backed (not Good Sam or from an on line seller) you should never have trouble getting coverage. Those policies have no or reduced co-pays as well. They also normally cover the service call if you need mobile service.

The one we have currently is "zero" deductible if work is done at selling dealer. The "Route 66" plan had a $34 deductible in lieu of $100 and was good at any of their associated dealerships.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Our's always have. As I mentioned earlier if it is dealer backed (not Good Sam or from an on line seller) you should never have trouble getting coverage.
Agreed! The peace of mind is priceless (and refundable) too.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #11

As an unrepentant DIY'er, I always refuse any offer for an extended warranty.

As mentioned, the OEM's warranty is enough to get bulk of the manufacturing shortfalls ironed out. After that, staying on top of maintenance and using the darned thing enough to exercise all systems will keep the repairs small and planned.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote