Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #1

Greyhawk Owners

We have an Eagle 5er and thinking of trading for a Greyhawk. What are your thoughts in tems of quality, convenience, dependability, etc. We have 4 large dogs and many times take 4 grandchildren. With the tow vehicle we always need a second car just to get there and a Class C could hold everyone together I think. I already have a toad that I could use. We are just in the thinking stage and wanted thoughts and opinions. Thanks.
lowfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #2

We bought a new 31ss this last year and have not problems with it at all. With four grand kids and the dogs I would think that a 31 FS with the bunk beds would be the way to go.
The mileage is not great, we are better than most, we get over 9 mpg but keep it under 60 mph. If you are considering the greyhawk, the new model's cab over is all fiberglass one piece, unlike the cheaper competitor's model's seamed that can leak.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

We have the 31SS with the fiberglass cab over. We travel with 2 small dogs (Dachshunds). We have only one grandchild 18 months old and when we travel with him we have him sleep on the couch or turn down the dinette. He loves the cab over queen bed, but I do not let him sleep up there (afraid of falls even with a rail). The couch and dinette are good for kids or short teenagers. They are not very long, but the width is ok. They also have a 31 with bunks which sleep 10. We have managed with six adults, the baby and 2 dogs for one or two night. The weather has been great on all these outings. If it ever rained and we were stuck inside it would be another story! LOL Whatever you decide on , check out the floor plan and lay on all the bed configurations to see if you all fit! We also put our grandsons car seat on the dinette seat facing forward and it hooks to the seat belt and the hook on the floor for the slide out.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #4

We have a 31SS and have traveled with two grandkids - very successfully. Our options include the entertainment system over the cab - has a single bunk as well. Only issue i have is the minimal clearance around the queen bed. One side is OK but the other has minmal room to access drawers or cabinets. And the shower is a bit "snug" we have the triple section glass shower door. All in all (and given there is NO perfect solution) we are pleased. Gas mileage (5K on the odometer) is around 7 (we always tow) - either car or boat.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #5

We traded our 26BH for a Greyhawk 31SS earlier this year. Never looked back. We only gained a little more floor space, but really like the convenience of everyone traveling in the coach with no more "bathroom stops". We also do not miss the hooking and un-hooking the trailer. Dis-advantage is we do not have toad once we arrive... Maybe next year we will spring for a towing set-up for the Greyhawk. The wife has a VW Beetle, straight shift, which should work. We did test drive a few class A's before we got the C.
I think the class A's are more comfortable for the driver, especially on long trips.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

We purchased a 31DS back in July. I've had some issues that I've posted about here, but they've been resolved through the warranty and overcoming my ignorance on some newer slide-out technology that wasn't in my previous travel trailer. In spite of a few hang ups, we really love using it and traveling in it, and also love the floorplan very much. I also like the floorplan for the 31 FS a lot, and would recommend that one to anyone traveling with a lot of kids.
pkanalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #7

We traded our 2008 26DB Greyhawk for a 2011 31DS Greyhawk a few months ago. We travel with a 13 year old Lab, but no grandkids. We love our 'Hawk, but I think four large dogs aboard would be a real challenge.

Fidalgo66
fidalgo66 is offline   Reply With Quote