Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #1

Hellwig spring adjustment

I finally got around to adjusting the Hellwig springs on my 2016 Greyhawk 31 FK. First I made a spacer out of a piece of 2x4 at 2 inches. I had bought a 22mm box end ratchet that made the adjustment go very easy. One hint here is to use lots of oil on the threads of the shackle. I was going to raise the rear of the coach for clearance by using the rear levelers but changed my mind on this so as the weight would be on the main spring. There was enough clearance to reach all the adjusting nuts. Before I started to work, I measured the side height to ground and found the right side was 3 inches lower than the left side. After I finished I measured again and the difference was about 1/4 ". Hope to drive the rig tomorrow and see how it handles. If you are handy with tools give it a try. The whole job was about one and a half hours.
hvann38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:34 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
What type of issues you have to adjusts springs. Also What type of adjustments that can be done for better performance to correct rear swaying if any.
Clueless Newbie
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #3

Frog. I used a breaker bar with a deep socket to loosen the lock nuts. The only problem was the adjusting nut on one side was hard to turn so I backed it off and put lots of oil on the threads. Then it adjusted up real easy. No problems after that. Don't forget some kind of block to get all adjustments the same. Don't have any sway problem , so can't help you with that.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #4

My dealer told me to leave them alone, so I have. I have to think if Jayco felt an adjustment was necessary they would have said something.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #5

hello Bluesky46. After reading many,many messages concerning the Hellwig springs I decided to make the adjustment myself. The springs were installed before Jayco had possession of the bare frame. After building the coach body and installing it on the running gear the springs need adjustment for the added weight. That is the reason for the spring adjustment. I can understand why Jayco will not adjust springs that they did not install. It is your call in the matter but it sure helped my rig. Hvann38.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #6

Results of Hellwig adjustment

As I think through this, I assume that different models have differing weight characteristics, so a one-size-fits-all approach to the gap at the shackle probably isn't the same for different Jayco models. I have a 2015 31FK. One both side the gap is 4 1/2" at the front of the spring, and 3 1/4" at the rear. Would seem as if the gap was intentional, since it's the same on both sides. So -3 questions.

1) On your 2016 FK, what made you decide on a 2" gap?

2) What was the result in handling?

3) Do you feel this shifted the center of gravity far enough forward to cause a problem in the front end, either with max weight, or handling?

Thanks

Jim
jbayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #7

Spring adjustment...much posted already....

This is not Rocket Science..even Heilwig tech chimed in and said 2" clearance between upper and lower springs is correct...
just take your loaded Jayco Class C, whatever Model, adjust the springs to the 2" gap between them, and be done with it..
Of course Jayco is not going to take on anything they can get away with. It is not a big job...Pictures and info is all over this blog...
It gets the rear end up higher and handling improves in my opinion...
I am 70 years old, and a couple of correct wrenches, and a few hours under the RV, and its over.