Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #1

Help, passenger side slideout stuck out 29me 2015 greyhawk

I'm stuck 10- 20 miles from cell service but 1 mile from wifi for internet. 29me 2015 Greyhawk.

Slider (passeger side with couch and refrigerator) side behind passenger seat seems to be stuck. Side near mid stairs starts in. Put back out and it seems to lock in place.

Found motor and break release. Manual says find access and turn shaft with 3/4 socket.

Coach is level.

Can't find anyplace near motor and can't find another access point.

Did get hold of Jayco tech support but waiting for email with location of shaft to turn to manually turn it in. Can't believe they couldn't look it up to tell me.

Suppose to be leaving today. By myself with no dealer or repair shop within 100 miles.
jfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #2

Do you have access to the drive shaft? If so disengage the motor brake and just use a wrench on the shaft. It is square 3/4" if I recall correctly.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #3

ugh!!!

Please keep us posted on what you learn. Someone else will eventually have that problem. I know this is a Captain Obvious statement, but you'd expect the racks to be near the edge of the slides and some motor shaft/drive connection between the two.

No help, I know...
Good luck!!!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #4

Yep socket goes on the end of the shaft
Old 06-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #5

Story is too long to tell. 5 hrs screwing around. If I knew where everything was and how it worked, it would have been less than 1 hr.

Turns out the drive shaft that turns the front slider on the passenger side slider with couch and refrigerator, disconnected when the nut came off the 2 inch 1/4 inch bolt. Took me a while to realize the motor shaft wasn't driving both directly.

After I figured this out, I then ran the motor for 1 to 1 1/2 seconds letting the back side come in 1 - 1 1/2 inches. Then went out and pushed in front side. Back and forth till it was done. Pushing was simple.

I then talked to jayco when I had cell service about 30 miles south of where I camped, and they confirmed the bolt was needed for the shaft to drive the front slider. Went to store and bought a lock nut instead of what they used. Bought an extra bolt and lock nut for a grand total of about $1.20. Took a while to get the holes lined up on the shaft and gear box attached to the motor. Just a hard place to get to. I was able to get some channel locks on the square drive shaft to rotate it bit

I ended with the slider out about 3 inches and made sure the front and back edges were at the 3 inches. I then was able to move the drive shaft forward until I could find the hole on the gear shaft and figured out which hole (3 deep) to line up with. (the 3 inches was where it was to have the hole vertical) Taped the bolt on and use motor to rotate it 180 degrees so I could attach the nut. Then rotated in about 90 degrees more so I could get a 7/16 wrench on both ends Tight fit but it works. Couldn't get a socket on either end so had to borrow a 2nd wrench.

Final notes. If the motor had died or something similar, it would been a long time to screw it in. The 3/4 hex is not easy to get to and if I could have gotten to it, it probably would have been a 20-30 degree turn a time. Manual doesn't tell you how to access either areas. Tech support (3 guys over 5 hrs had to ask others for answers, but all were helpful by emailing me answers and 1 photo). Just real hard to get to from the top of one storage compartment under the slider.

I think, but not sure, to get to the 3/4 hex to turn the slider in or out would go through the seal on the side of the coach to the slider rail.

Anyway, all is well, just made worse by no cell and tech that didn't have immediate answers. I'd give the manual an "D" or "F" on how to fix. an "A" on describing the problem though.

Think I'll call them again and ask how to get to the 2 other sliders. I was told it wasn't difficult when I bought the unit used last fall. It isn't if you can figure out how to get to the rails, drive, a motor.

Sorry if this is disjointed. Been along day and I'm tired.
jfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #6

I've been there, so I know how stressful it can be. It was a good learning experience though, and it's made me learn the importance of becoming intimately familiar with the systems on my rig before they fail. They never break when it's convenient.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:20 AM   #7
Site Team

The first time it happened to me we were evacuating a cg from an oncoming hurricane. Laying on my back underneath in the rain as all the campers left.

I know exactly how you feel. It was a learning experience. I now have the correct tools and materials and can do the same thing in 30 minutes if necessary.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #8

Jfro and Norty, If you guys could put together a list of must have tools and supplies for this job, then we could duplicate it and carry it with us. That would be really helpful and appreciated. I have a 2017 and really want to be ready when this happens to me. One other question. Do the slides work on a jack screw or a scissors arrangement or what ? Thank you for sharing your advice and experience
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote