Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #1

Help with Seneca Measurements

Hello All,

Looking for a little help if anyone has handy access to their Senecas. I am fed up with the bunk ladder and wanted to grab some maple on the way home from work to build a new one.

I have an hour of travel time from home to get to were mine is set up so was hoping I could get some help with a couple measurements.

I am looking for floor to top of the cab-over mattress, floor to top of ladder brackets on the side of mattress, and if you happen t have an FK, the distance from the rear side of the bed (as in front to rear of RV) to the front side of the fridge (hope to add some angle to ladder for easier climbing without interfering with the fridge doors).

Mine is a 2014 36FK, but for the first 2 measurements I assume any M2 chassis Seneca would work.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jake
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #2

I have a 2014 TS, so I can't give you fridge measurement, but from the floor to the top of the bunk mattress is 51". To the top of the bunk-mounted ladder hook bracket it was 49 1/2" and the bracket itself is 1" tall.

I too hated the original flimsy, very-hard-on-foot ladder so I went a different way, adapting an aluminum ladder I bought off Amazon. Very happy with its performance. Here are two threads where I mention it and have some pictures:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...der-40680.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...s-39395-5.html

Good luck!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:13 AM   #3

Sorry, did not see you were located in Canada, my tape has metric measurements too. But I'm sure you are used to converting.

P.S. - I wish we used it here in the States, makes so much more sense!
Old 06-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #4

Thanks Robbbyr.

I have seen the ladder you made and was impressed. I enjoy wood working as a hobby so I though I would see what I can come up with. The wood floors/cabinets in my Seneca are nearly an exact match for the floors in my home. A couple years ago I did a couple of Oak stair cases in my home and I still have the stain I had custom mixed so I got to thinking I could potentially do something with the RV.

And if it doesn't work out I'll go the aluminum route and can use the ladder as campfire wood!

I actually prefer to use inches, just a habit I guess.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #5

I'm sure anything you build will be more easily climbed than the junk ladder they included. Unless I had actual shoes on it really hurt my feet!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I'm sure anything you build will be more easily climbed than the junk ladder they included. Unless I had actual shoes on it really hurt my feet!
Agreed, I usually sleep above the cab. Every night in the middle of the night I have to debate whether or not I can hold my pee until morning. It's sad that the ladder is so bad that most nights I risk peeing the bed over using the ladder to go to the bathroom!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 AM   #7

We replaced ours immediately. Use a portable foldable aluminum ladder we purchased at a big box store and keep it up on the bunk when not needed. Out of sight, out of mind. Portable ladder also used for other things in and out of coach.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:04 AM   #8

We did the same thing as Ric, purchased a fold-able ladder from a big box. Works great and gives you a nice big, flat step as the first step when coming off the bunk.
2012 Rans Seavo Tandem Bicycle
pmdevries is offline   Reply With Quote