Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
I Want a C Class I Think...

I have always wanted a C class. I had a 18 foot Jayco camper I pulled behind my Crew cab Silverado and we had a lot of fun. We did a lot of antiquing, flea marketing, and Wal-Mart camping without a generator. I think a C class would be ideal for what we do. It'd be easy to manage in small towns and could have a built in generator. I like the idea of not being inside the camper having to get out and get into the truck and being able to drive off if we were to run into trouble somewhere during the night. How are they on fuel mileage? Are like driving a slow square brick down the road? I see so many for sale with low miles I was wondering if they are just so hard on gas you can't travel? Will they run 70mph at cruise or ? Just looking for advice and input. I like the small ones under 30 foot in length and would prefer a chevy drive train. Thanks

silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
I have a 31ss and I love it. It works great for our family's needs. I love the fact that I don't have to stop to make lunch or for someone to visit the bathroom.
Where are you that it requires a "quick getaway" in the middle of the night?
I've got it up to 70 no problem when circumstances required it, but I stay around 60. I get a good 8mpg at that speed. Your mpg will go downhill fast if you push it faster.

LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
Bottom line up front, campers push pull or drag get trashy gas mileage. The big downfall to a class C is transportation once you arrive at your destination (may not be a downfall to others). Good luck! We love our 15 31FS! Headed to AK Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Cunning193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Had a 2001 DESIGNER 32' that we put over 50,000 miles on in 7 yrs. We then went to SENECA and put 50,000 miles on it in 6 yrs. Changed to a PINNACLE since we are going to full time.

We had great times with both.
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #5
We have a 2016 Redhawk 26XD. Just right for two of us and several dogs. Extremely easy to park an maneuver, and had everything that we needed/wanted and was much less than they Greyhawk, as well as being lighter.

The V10 coupled with the new 6 speed transmission gave us over 10 MPG on the last trip from West Virginia to Florida. The 6 speed is quieter than the 5 speed, and enabled us to use the cruise control everywhere but the steepest mountains (we don't have to use tow/haul anymore). Having the motorhome maintain it's speed on cruise control even downhill really amazed me... never had a vehicle that could do that before.

We don't like to rush, and the "sweet spot" for this motorhome tends to be about 62 MPH. It runs about 2,200 RPM at that speed, and gets the best mileage there.

The only things we had the dealer add (negotiated into the price) were 2 MaxxAir vent covers & reversible vent fans, slide toppers, and a Roadmaster spare tire carrier.

Good luck and happy camping, whatever you decide.
The Logan's
2016 Redhawk 26XD
Me, Dear Wife,
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
Class C will almost always be a gas engine, therefore lower fuel mileage.

You often see low mileage motorhomes because people don't drive them that much. You drive to a destination (2-300 miles) and park for the weekend or week, then you come home. Say 10 trips a year, that's 2500 miles a year. 5 years of that is only 12K-15K miles... very low.

If you don't mind unhooking the rig to drive to get groceries or go site seeing, a Class C is a great choice. On the other hand, you can get a car carrier and take a toad with you. We used my dad's Class C once and towed my wife's car behind it. Gas mileage was TERRIBLE in that thing, 5 mpg on a 2000 mile trip was pretty painful. We had a great time though.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #7
Happy C Class Owners

We are definetly happy C Class owners. Our reasons for making the switch included the layout, having the cab over bunk for the kids and believe it or not reducing our costs.

We were pulling a 34ft TT with a big bunkhouse at the back. Our kids are now old enough that they stay behind at times so we did not want to pull that length of RV around without reason. The C Class was a great solution. We found they have better layouts then most of the A Class. Particularily with the cab over bunk being a valuable resource.

For us the cost savings came from getting rid of the hefty tow vehicle. My daily commute for work is about 150km round trip. We don't have the space for a third vehicle so it meant I was driving A Chevy Silverado back and forth to work every day. When we went to the C Class I was able to ditch the truck for a small commuter car.

I find the MPG's driving the MH very similar to what I was getting in the Silverado while pulling the trailer so that was an even swap.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:47 AM   #8
One thing that never made sense to me was the C class campers that didn't have a bed over the cab just cabinets. The only reason I like the C class is because the bed over the couch and the layouts are much better. I like the idea of at least 2 full size beds and the couch or chair seating behind the driver.

That mileage is horrible wonder why they don't make diesels? Guess that's where the Mercedes ones come in but if I had $100k I wouldn't be worried about camping. So we are talking 10 mpg if I was lucky on flat ground running 65mph?
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:25 PM   #9
As the Logans said. We have the short 23xm and love it. We have had many and this is like a commuter class C. Test drive it! We did trailers too. You will love the one piece concept!!! Trust me!
2016 Redhawk 23XM
cschiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
Our GH 31ss has a queen bed in the back, the sofa bed, and a slide out sleeper with the cabinets over the cab. The dinette may convert into a bed, not sure.

'08 Greyhawk 31SS
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote