Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2017, 06:20 AM   #1

Jensen in dash radio

I have a 2017 Greyhawk mv.Does any one know what battery supplies power to the unit,is it the coach battery or the starting battery?
Thankyou for any help
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
I have a 2017 Greyhawk mv.Does any one know what battery supplies power to the unit,is it the coach battery or the starting battery?

Thankyou for any help

It is the starting battery that it feeds from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

Chassis battey supplies the hot at all time power to it. The "ignition" power signal (the one that tells the unit to actually turn on) is done by a small OR gate that will turn it on if the cab ignition is turned on OR the house is turned on.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

Thanks Ryan but a little confused with your last sentence,dont understand electric that well....
Old 05-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #5

Apparently the 2015 MV is wired differently because when I disconnect my house battery the radio powers down. You could determine which battery is powering your rig by cycling the house 12VDC disconnect switch.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #6

Most in dash radios now days have 3 wires for power. One ground, and two positive wires. One positive wire is an always on wire which keeps things like the memory of the unit set...think of things like your clock, your presets, etc. It also does a few other things like be the main power for the built in amplifier and what not, but you prob dont care about that. This always on power is sourced from the engine battery. The other positive wire is there to signal the unit to wake up / turn on. The radio will turn on in this case if either the ignition is turned on or the house power is on.

When I speak of an OR gate, just think of something with 2 inputs and one output. If power is turn on to the first OR the second input then turn on the output.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Apparently the 2015 MV is wired differently because when I disconnect my house battery the radio powers down. You could determine which battery is powering your rig by cycling the house 12VDC disconnect switch.
On my Seneca 37FS (2016) I can have the house powered off and if I put my key in and turn on the ignition, the radio will turn on. I am pretty sure that the hot wire for my rig is done via engine battery. I did a mod where I separated the cab speakers from the house speakers using the zone 2 output and a separate amp and I am 95% sure that the radio is engine powered. (I do need to add an additional ground loop isolator to remove the second amp hum but that is another issue). I COULD be house powered, but I dont think so because I am pretty sure that the ground and hot was taken from the freightliner wiring. If it's hot was house powered, then it is done BEFORE the disconnect switch. If you do turn off your house power, go put your key in and turn it on, if the radio powers back up, then you are setup like mine.

Speaking of this mod, I recommend that ANYONE who has people who want to watch TV, DVD's, etc in the coach while you are driving do this mod. I was sick and tired of being forced to listen to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while driving down the road. So now, I get to listen to FM, or my iTunes and I can use Zone 2 to send the Aux 2 (TV) signal to the coach speakers at the same time. Now there is limitation with this radio that only a few sources can go to the zone 2 output, like no FM radio, but as long as I have my ipod, it does not bother me.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
On my Seneca 37FS (2016) I can have the house powered off and if I put my key in and turn on the ignition, the radio will turn on. I am pretty sure that the hot wire for my rig is done via engine battery. I did a mod where I separated the cab speakers from the house speakers using the zone 2 output and a separate amp and I am 95% sure that the radio is engine powered. (I do need to add an additional ground loop isolator to remove the second amp hum but that is another issue). I COULD be house powered, but I dont think so because I am pretty sure that the ground and hot was taken from the freightliner wiring. If it's hot was house powered, then it is done BEFORE the disconnect switch. If you do turn off your house power, go put your key in and turn it on, if the radio powers back up, then you are setup like mine.
Right you are. Just went and verified that my rig is wired the same. Nice to know. Thanks.

It is interesting though that if I disconnect house power, the radio clock goes away. If I turn the house power back on, not only does the clock come on but the radio powers up. Also with house power secured and no clock display, turning on the ignition will power up the radio. Turning off the ignition the radio will stay powered up. Turn off the radio and the clock display stays up. Like you said, it's ORed so it gets power from either source.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #9

2016 Greyhawk with the Jensen JRV215N head-unit. On mine, the answer is *both*.

I had to do a hard-reset on our unit a few months ago. Pulling any one battery lead did not do it. Only when I pulled *both* for 30 seconds did the Jensen completely reset.

If you look at the owner's manual for the thing - there are two power leads. One 12V is supposed to go to "the battery" which I'm guessing is the chassis battery. The other one says:

WARNING:
Do not connect the +12VDC ACC
SWITCHED wire to the battery. This
wire MUST be connected to the
Accessory/Ignition wire or a +12 volts
switched power source.

I'm guessing that's the one that's wired to the coach.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
2016 Greyhawk with the Jensen JRV215N head-unit. On mine, the answer is *both*.
I'd have to say that the real answer to the OP is both.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:26 AM   #11

Thankyou everyone for all your input.The reason I asked was my wife was concerned about running the battery down at camp watching a movie or listening to the radio.Since what I understand, the charger only charges and maintains the house battery when plugged in,concerned about depleting the engine battery,make any sence?
Old 05-31-2017, 07:37 AM   #12

When you are plugged into shore power, both your house and chassis battery are charging. When on 120v power the solenoid that is used to connect both batteries are engaged and effectively all the batteries are wired together. The charger then charges like normal. Once shore power or generator power is dropped, the solenoid is disengaged and the house batteries are separate from the engine battery(ies) and can discharge separately. If you are plugged in at camp, you can run everything without worrying about depleting anything.

EDIT: Generator will do the same as shore power and charge everything too.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
When you are plugged into shore power, both your house and chassis battery are charging.
That's not the case with my 2015 Greyhawk. Only the house battery is being charged from the shore power connection. 2017 Greyhawks could be different.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #14

On this subject, does any one know where the fuse is to control the in dash Jensen Radio/camera/bluetooth/ audio/ gps and other stuff I forgot to mention?

I have found 3 different fuse blocks, all with a radio fuse marked on them and pulling the fuse had no results. From what is said maybe they all have to be pulled at once to break all positive wire connections.

Twice, I have had to take the radio out of the dash and remove the power source from the back of the unit. The reason for this was caused by pressing buttons to fast and locking the system up and requiring a "reboot" of the whole unit. WE have learned to not press buttons so fast and let the system do its job.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Twice, I have had to take the radio out of the dash and remove the power source from the back of the unit.
Ouch!!!

I too quickly figured out that none of the Ford fuse blocks are wired in for the radio. But I haven't found them yet. They're under the dash in the rats nest of Jayco wiring, I assume.

Instead of yanking the radio, can you do what I did? Pull both 12V positive leads off both batteries? I yanked the 12V+ from the coach, then yanked the 12V lead off the engine battery.

waited 30 seconds, reconnected the 12v+ wires and my radio was reset!
Old 05-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #16

pconroy, thanks for the reply. Yes, I could do that, but then wouldn't be able to work in air conditioning.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 05-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
That's not the case with my 2015 Greyhawk. Only the house battery is being charged from the shore power connection. 2017 Greyhawks could be different.

They are not. I have a 2017 Greyhawk and the engine starting battery charges only when the engine is running or while on a separate battery charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:07 PM   #18

Sounds like on the greyhawks at least, they wired hot 12 volt to the house batteries. In any case, you dont need to pull power to reset them. On the JRV215N's there is a small hole that you can put a paperclip in just below the volume knob. Short button press to reset it and a long button press (10 seconds or so) will hard reset it to factory settings...it wont reset the navigation system settings, but will wipe out everything else. I have to do this to mine every now and then because it starts acting sluggish.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
pconroy, thanks for the reply. Yes, I could do that, but then wouldn't be able to work in air conditioning.

We had family in Marion.
It can get a bit warm down there...
Old 06-01-2017, 05:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

We had family in Marion.
It can get a bit warm down there...
And that's why we go to upstate New York and Canada in the summertime.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse