Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #1

Looking at 2014 Melbourne 29D

Just sold our Airstream trailer and am looking at various class B+ motorhomes as our next rv. The 2014 Jayco Melbourne 29D look quite interesting. Am wondering if anyone in this forum has bought or evaluated one of them and can provide some comments. Thanks.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #2

The 29D is a good looking coach. When my wife and I started looking, that was the model that I thought that I wanted. We ended up getting the Greyhawk 31DS for a few reasons. My wife did not like the split bath--if someone is in the shower one cannot get from the back to the front and vice versa. The 31DS has a good size full bathroom on the curbside. There is very limited storage space in the Melbourne which would be my biggest concern after about a year's worth of use. A lot more in the Greyhawk. At the time we were looking I had read some unfavorable reviews about the microwave/convection oven. The Greyhawk is a normal microwave and a gas oven. The price on the Greyhawk is a bit less. If one likes the entertainment center up front that is available on the Greyhawk too.

On the other hand the Melbourne now comes with full body paint standard, is a really good looking coach, the triple slides make for a really nice open space in the living area and may handle better without the cab-over.

As an aside, I elected to go to the factory in Indiana to get my warranty work done. They could not be more accommodating. They took care of everything in a day and half.

Jim
Pocono1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #3

Thanks, Jim. Exactly the kinds of info I'm looking for.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #4

We purchased a new 29D this morning, should take delivery of it on Thursday. I am looking forward to participating in discussions in this Forum as a legitimate, genuine Melbourne owner!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #5

Congratulations and enjoy!!!!!!!!

Jim
Pocono1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
We purchased a new 29D this morning, should take delivery of it on Thursday. I am looking forward to participating in discussions in this Forum as a legitimate, genuine Melbourne owner!
Congratulations! Welcome to the Jayco family!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #7

I bought a 2010 Melbourne 29D last year and although a larger shower would be handier, I can't complain about the gas mileage. I bought this coach because of the sloped aero dynamic front thinking it would help mileage wise. We tow a 2012 Jeep Liberty made a March trip to Louisiana Pochett Park towing and started out with 8.4 but that was due to the northern Oxygen substitute that is put in the gas for winter. The farther south I went the less the oxygizer the better the mileage. The best mileage I got towing and on Interstate 81 was a surprising 10.4 MPG. I made a trip to the Grand Ole Opry and got between 9 & 10. I couldn't get an accurate reading because there were a many times I didn't fill up completely. With gasoline @ $3.65 and diesel @ $4.06 I feel a B+ coach is better suited for my wallet than an A coach diesel.
gdetty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #8

Melbourne 2014

I have a 2008 29D and couldn't be happier with it!! I thought about trading in for a 2014, but decided to keep it after seeing 2014 at RV show. It's nice and has some very good upgrades from 2008, but overall, I am happy with mine. If you choose a 2014, I'm sure you will be happy with it, too. The Melbourne has the quality that other B+'s lack.
Firedogs2 is offline   Reply With Quote