Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Need Spare Tire Carrier, Ideas or links?

Been looking at people that have added a spare tire carrier under the coach in the rear. I believe this will be my long term solution.
But I do not have a welder and will need to put this off.

I need a more immediate store bought solution. Since I wont be making the long trip over Thanksgiving with the bike rack, I can use a hitch mounted spare tire carrier.

Anyone have a suggestion for a spare tire carrier that will mount in the class 3 hitch?
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

I went with this: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Carg...rt/c31006.html

For this trip, we will not be using the bike rack. I will have to come up with a solution to haul both. Maybe a front hitch.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #3

Bought a spare wheel from Ford this past weekend. $300, which was a shocker. They mounted a matching Michelin LTX M/S "E" for another $200.
Now I know why they quit shipping them with a spare.
We will carry it on the hitch rack until we travel with the bikes, then it will have to find a home under the coach. There is easily enough room on the 31FS for it under the coach. (but harder to get to when maintaining pressures)
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #4

Hanging a spare tire on the back of your Greyhawk seems would add a great deal of weight to the back end and might effect the steering.
Jim
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

The spare weighs under 100 pounds. Far less than 4 bikes we carry normally. Tossing around mounting it up front on a front mounted receiver hitch. Putting it under the rear betweenthe frame seams like a pain.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #6

If there is adequate space between the rear frame rails, and there should be, I would put it there. My old class A motorhome which was actually built on the E-series chassis had it here. The mount it used was a simple deal made out of a 3 1/2'" to 4" flat steel stock to form a crossbar. It was hinged to one rail and had a bolt latch on the other end at the opposite rail. The center of the steel stock had a raised section to center the wheel via the hub opening and secure the wheel to the crossbar.

Some old pickup trucks used a similar set up before they switched to the cable style lowering systems.

It should be a simple deal to work out.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #7

Thanks BossWagon, good ideas. I remember the spare carrier you are refering to. There is over a foot of space from the bottom of the frame to the underside of the floor. I probably have more options than other models for doing this. I like the idea of the lowering mechanism too.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #8

Weight is one thing but hanging it on the far end adds a great deal of leverage to that weight? What is the distance from the rear axle' 6 feet, I am no engineer but the weight of the tire and rim has to be magnified a few times.
Jim
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote