Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #1

Roof Cleaning Recommendations

We were in western New York state for the Labor Day weekend. Our lot was located under some tree that deposited red berries or seeds onto the RV all weekend. The constant pop-pop-pop of these things hitting the RV were amusing at first, until we saw the sheer number of them on the outdoor rug, the awning and most notably all over the roof. They were everywhere. Inside and outside the RV, stuck to shoes and floors. There wasn't much I could do about it while there, other than to brush them off the RV once a day (or move I suppose, but the CG was full). Before decamping I swept as much off of everything I could reach, gutters, slides, bumpers etc... I was reluctant to climb on top of the RV at the site because of a low hanging power line. Again, I suppose I could have moved the RV then swept everything off, but we wanted to get on the road for our 8.5 hour drive home. Once home, I hosed everything off: roof, front cab, cap, gutters, awning, everything. But now I am left with a very well tattooed roof full of red berry splotches. Any suggestions for flora and fauna removal from the roof specifically?

Second, is it a good idea to use a wide piece of plywood or something to distribute my load across the roof, rather than being a point load on it? I know I am going to have to get on top to scrub everything clean and I don't want to fall through the roof doing it.

I've read through the forums for advice, but its a little bit dated. Looking for any recent experience with plant matter and roof cleaning.

Thanks!
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Your roof was designed so you can walk on it without any additional support. It sounds like you do have a ladder on the rear. Just be CAREFUL when up there. It'll be very slippery when it's wet. Check your owners manual for cleaning recommendations, and be ready for some elbow grease. A liquid dishwashing detergent, and a scrub brush may take some of it off.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #3

409, Spic and Span or the like is recommended by Dicor to clean the Diflex II TPO roofing that I have on my 2016 Jsy Flight.
I'm not sure what's on your 2012.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #4

Thanks all. Off to the grocery for some dish detergent and the like.

Thanks for the roof nod JFlight. I'll take extra care to work in small areas, working my way back to the ladder from the front of the rig.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #5

They do sell stain removers specifically for red stains. They have them at the big box stores. Can't say if their compatible with the roof.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:24 AM   #6

I got it all off with Dawn, a scrub brush and elbow grease. Took about 45 minutes, but it looks great. A little unnerving being on the roof, always prepared to fall through. The cracking of the Styrofoam underneath me was not reassuring. Next time I'll walk a little gentler and with more deliberate movements. The worst was "painting myself into a corner" near the ladder, had a hard time hanging on and scrubbing and hosing off... But I did it and it looks great!! Thanks!
Old 09-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #7
Site Team

Glad it all cleaned up well. If you feel the need for more "experience" on roof washing, I'll send you my address. (lol) I'm sure you'd get a ton of offers.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 09-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #8

JFlight, Only doing once or twice a year is more than enough for me. Thanks for the suggestion/offer though!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #9

I wondered if anyone has tried the Dicor roof protectant? I have heard it is similar to the stuff you put on car dashboard trim but designed for Dicor roofs.

Specifically, does it work and how long does it last?
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussieskunk View Post
JFlight, Only doing once or twice a year is more than enough for me. Thanks for the suggestion/offer though!
That's OK. Can't blame a guy for tryin'. (Chuckle)

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #11

I use spic and span with bleach on my fiberglass roof. Has a little bit of grit that really gets it clean. It is made for baths and showers so won't damage or harm it. If you have tpm roof you need to use a cleaner with conditioner.
Midwest Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote