Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #31
Ditto. The fridge is a minute use of propane. The living space heater is a hog. In my toy hauler, we have stayed out dry camping ten days with the fridge and water heater on for showers and dishes, the heater on 65 deg at night only 45 to 50 outside, and depleted just over half of only ONE of the 30 lb tanks.

I ALWAYS run down the road with it on. Since I use diesel, and the fridge is in the rear, I don't shut it off to refuel either.

Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #32
I run mine all the time on propane while driving and never shut it off. I will also continue to do it this way. If there are enough fumes present during fuel fill up to allow fridge igniter to set them ablaze, you have many other issues to contend with and you will have a hell of a headache from breathing it in.

2013 F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke
2015 Jayco HT 29.5BHDS
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #33
I added an inverter outlet in my refrigerator compartment of my Seneca. Run the refrigerator on the inverter while traveling. No issues. There was already a junction box in the compartment that had inverter power, so it was an easy addition.

2010 Seneca
Luco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #34
I enjoy the quiet of running the fridge on propane while underway, but I also know I need to exercise the Onan genny for 2 hours a month. Now, I never camp w/o full hookups so I don't have much need for the genny at all. I often wonder if it were an option if I'd even put one in if given the choice to save the money.

Anyway, I usually run the genny while I'm underway just to get some hours on it. So for me, the fridge runs off the genny. I'll run the AC unit off the genny too b/c you're supposed to exercise it at 50% load (or something like that).
2015 Greyhawk 29MV

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #35
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
We run the fridge on propane while driving. Had the fridge shut down a couple of times and start beeping. Removed the outside panel and there is a small container for the frost free moisture, it was full and water was sloshing around putting the flame out.Now I always make sure it's empty before driving and have not had a problem since.
Is it okay to run the little rubber hose out the grill so that it drips onto the ground? Or must it drip into that small container? (New owner)
CanucksVenturingSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #36
Site Team
The drain on my old Atwood fridge was routed outside via a hose. My new rig has a Norcold that drains into a small evaporative cup in the back of the fridge. It works fine but sometime when I shut the fridge off the cup will overflow with melted frost draining from the freezer. I just route the hose out the fridge vent so it drains on the ground. It works fine either way.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #37
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
ran the fridge on propane while on the road for 38 years, tt's, fw 's and mh's

ditto !!
2015 GrayHawk 29MV/Toad - 2015 Frontier

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"! - Thomas Paine
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:30 AM   #38
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
... A couple states say propane bottles must be in the closed position...
Which states are those? Any links to references?
Joe & Barb
Shoreview, MN
Navarre, FL
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #39
Originally Posted by cdrcos@gmail.com View Post
Which states are those? Any links to references?
There are many DOT references; individual state laws would have to be researched. I do not maintain the links I have used. However, if memory serves Virginia and Pennsylvania have some sort of regulation regarding tunnels. I believe there is something in Seattle, Washington. Do an internet search looking for "transport regulations for CNG, LP Gas, Fuel cylinders.

2015 White Hawk 25BHS Glacier Package
2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.7 Hemi, 5Spd Manual
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote