Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #1

Seneca winter storage

I just purchased a new 2016 Seneca HJ this past week. I winterized the water lines and plumbing today. I am storing the unit outside under a carport. I wanted to ask what everybody else is doing to keep the batteries charged for the coach and chassis. I also wanted to check and see if there is anything you have to do to the chassis to get it ready for winter storage. Do you have to do anything with the air pressure system, def storage tank, I am going to fill the fuel tanks. Any pointers would help.

Thanks Ohiocamp
ohiocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new HJ, and welcome to the forum. It will be interesting on what answers you get to a great question. I no longer live in harsh winters and when we did we had a faith wheel and we used it monthly. I did take the batteries out and charged them in the garage. Now the motor home is different but my suggestion is to take it out of storeage every month take a 100 mile drive running the generator and running both heat pumps. They are just about useless below 39 degrees but that will but a bit of a load on the generator. You want to run the generator with as much load as you can for about two hours to keep any moisture and corrosive n damage to a minimum. My advice get out and use it every chance you get.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

Don't forget to drain your ice maker line. I'm also a little concerned about the def in the tank. Make sure your air tanks are empty of water. You could treat the airlines with air brake antifreeze. I keep my Seneca plugged into shore power when it is in storage. I guess you could use a solar trickle charger if you have no access to power.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #4

Our Seneca stays outside for the winter, unfortunately. We do the typical winterizing of the plumbing and, like MWade, we keep ours plugged into shore power all winter. I added a single point battery watering system and add whatever water is needed once a month.

I run the generator every other week for about an hour and take it for a drive every couple of weeks. I don't mess with the DEF tank, but I do add diesel additive to the fuel over the winter.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:15 AM   #5

Disconnect the Batteries

Welcome Ohiocamp!

This will be my first winter with a MH as well (dealer had it last winter for warranty work). As for batteries, I am following my mechanics advice. I am leaving the batteries on the unit, but have disconnected the negative terminals to eliminate all parasitic draw. I will go up once a month, reconnect the batteries and run both the engine and generator.

The advice to take it out for a drive is great, but in my case not practical. The lot I store it in for the winter is not fully plowed so once it is snowed in, it is pretty much stuck there. I also put an ADCO cover on and removing it every month is simply not practical.

I am not sure you will be able to run your electric heat pumps, mine shut down below a certain temp and automatically switch over to the propane furnace. For that reason, and the fact that the heat pump is under cover, I am keeping a ceramic heater on board that I can plug in and put a load on the Genny.

The one thing I am contemplating is taking advantage of the levellers and using them to raise the rig up on blocks and take the load off of the tires. I would retract the levellers so they are not unduly exposed or strained over the long winter months.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #6

Forgot one important drain procedure. Be sure to drain the pipes on the washing machine plumbing.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Welcome Ohiocamp!

The one thing I am contemplating is taking advantage of the levellers and using them to raise the rig up on blocks and take the load off of the tires. I would retract the levellers so they are not unduly exposed or strained over the long winter months.
I was told that the levelers are designed to support the entire weight of the RV.I called Big Foot and they told me this. I store mine inside and use the levelers to lift the entire coach until all the tires are just off the ground. I spray the exposed cylinders with a anti corrosive spray so no rust damage. It sits like that from Nov until April. Been doing it 3yrs now without a single problem.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #8

Have worked hard to get here, so with pride I can say, we go south to winterize. It was always a goal and wonderfully satisfying. First frost back home this morning and we are 61 degrees in Florida. There is a life after kids and retirement. Plan for it and it can happen.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote