Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

"Stainless" sink is rusting

The kitchen sink our 1 year old 2017 Jayco Melbourne 24 is rusting. Anyone else having this problem? Do you think will be covered by warranty? It's obviously not stainless steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamanc View Post
The kitchen sink our 1 year old 2017 Jayco Melbourne 24 is rusting. Anyone else having this problem? Do you think will be covered by warranty? It's obviously not stainless steel.
Stainless will rust.

https://www.polymersolutions.com/blo...ss-steel-rust/

But yes I would go for a replacement under warranty.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamanc View Post

Yep! Apparently when I winterized last fall I left a few spots of antifreeze on the sink walls. When I went out this spring I found exactly what your picture shows.
Buffed the crap out of it with 0000 steel wool and got rid of most of it. (I'm not under warranty so. It an option)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #4

Steel wool is good for cleaning up/rejuvinating a stainless steel sink, but I would start with a more aggressive grade, "0" or "00" before going to "0000". Make sure you clean up all steel wool fibers as they will cause rust as well. When all done, wipe the sink down liberally with mineral oil, buff with a dry cloth and your sink will look great.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #5

"Grumpy" sent a link that explained the best way to
Clean off the rust is with baking soda. Apparently steel wool can leave behind very small particles which can rust. I'll try baking soda first and a good SS cleaner or the mineral oil

Old 08-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #6

Stainless Steel - say it slowly and you'll notice it is not stain proof. As far as steel wool, I'd use bronze wool, if it was my project. We have the plastic model in our 2015/16 37FS, it gets scratches and has problems, also.

The maintenance solution is the one that works. Be gentle and work with very fine bronze wool. Polish with metal polish finish with mineral oil and wipe off any residue. Just another maintenance item to the joys of life on the road.

Embrace and enjoy the fact that you have this unit to complain about. There are lots of people that would love to have what you have and your concerns.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #7

your better off using scotch brite pads. always work in the same direction as the grain
Old 08-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Stainless Steel - say it slowly and you'll notice it is not stain proof. As far as steel wool, I'd use bronze wool, if it was my project. We have the plastic model in our 2015/16 37FS, it gets scratches and has problems, also.

The maintenance solution is the one that works. Be gentle and work with very fine bronze wool. Polish with metal polish finish with mineral oil and wipe off any residue. Just another maintenance item to the joys of life on the road.

Embrace and enjoy the fact that you have this unit to complain about. There are lots of people that would love to have what you have and your concerns.

Yes, we are thankful each and every day....

Old 08-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress View Post
your better off using scotch brite pads. always work in the same direction as the grain
X2

There are several grades of stainless steel. The poorer ones are prone to rust.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #10

Update. Jayco replaced the sink. Our dealer is awesome with service and warranty issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
X2

There are several grades of stainless steel. The poorer ones are prone to rust.
I remember years ago when we got our first stainless steel frig. My wife was miffed, because none of her magnets would stick.

Well that's not a problem these days. Stainless steel has been cheapened by reducing the amount of nickle and chromium in it. Same goes for screws and bolts. You used to be able to tell which were stainless with a magnet. Now days a magnet will pick them up, although not quite as good as regular steel.
NH_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #12

Having sold SS sinks for most of my life in the kitchen business. 99.999% of the time when I have seen this exact situation it is something (normally a brillo pad) leaving small particles of steel behind which rusts and makes it appear to be the sink rusting. As others said a good cleaning with a non steel product.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Having sold SS sinks for most of my life in the kitchen business. 99.999% of the time when I have seen this exact situation it is something (normally a brillo pad) leaving small particles of steel behind which rusts and makes it appear to be the sink rusting. As others said a good cleaning with a non steel product.

Interesting, I’ll remember that in caring for the new sink. I don’t have anything like Brillo or steel wool in my rig. Also was careful not to leave water standing. We only have 10,000 miles on it so it seems like it should have weathered better. Now I have an arsenal of suggestions to keep it clean and shiny!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #14

Bobrick's maintenance guide for stainless steel for what it's worth.tb-21.pdf

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote