Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
Two things... (1) The Girard Tankless WH that Jayco choose to install is KNOWN to have "short contact time" (meaning, the "flame" isn't "exposed" to the water tubing for a long enough period of time) and that it can - at BEST - only heat the water 20-70 above what the "ambient water temperature" is. So... If you have VERY cold incoming water, your outgoing "hot" water may not be what you're used to in a traditional tank heater. (2) The Attwood brand is a better Tankless WH ONLY because the "contact time" is longer between the flame and the water tubing.

Both systems are COMPLETELY reliant on the ambient water temperature on how much they can actually heat. So... If you're in a "hot climate" and want HOT water, you may be able to use the water in your HOLDING tank (via the pump) for "higher temperatures" (the ambient temperature of the water in the holding tank is most likely warmer than the water from the underground system).

***ALSO***, the airflow for the Girard system is CRITICAL for a proper flame (blue v. yellow, you want a blue flame). Too MUCH air is actually not good for this system. Make sure the enclosure door is tight. Ours was a tad loose (from people trying to "hinge" the door versus lift it off the "posts"). Once I tightened the fasteners, the Girard worked fine - even for my wife (who was not pleased with her first cold shower).

Good luck...

WeylanBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
We had the same system in our 31FS and it was very frustrating because of the variability of the incoming water temperature. On pump water we would waste a lot of water futzing with the control knob to get the temp correct and then we could not use the shutoff at the shower without freezing and or scalding us. The dealer at our expense installed an accumulator tank at my expense which helped but did not solve the problems. Finally Jayco replaced the tankless unit with a tank version.

Old setup:
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT with a 2004 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
Thanks I ordered a old style heater

Remo is offline   Reply With Quote