Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #21

Same question!!

Old 08-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #22

towed vehicle

I have been doing the rent a car when I am camping and need a car. In fact I am doing that right now. I have debated getting a tow dolly to tow with the front wheels up for my Camry automatic. I am noticing all of you tow four down. Is there a reason no one has replied with a Demco KarKaddy or the like?

Fishstick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #23

For many all-wheel drive vehicles you can tow 4-down or all off the ground on a trailer, but not on a dolly with with only two wheels turning. And even if you have a car that can be on a dolly, that means another piece of equipment you have to find a place for at your campsite (and home base). Some campsites are short and if you have a dolly you have to put it in a designated storage area.

The various tow methods all have their pluses and minuses, you just have to figure out what works best for your particular situation.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushbuster View Post
Just bought a '15 Wrangler to tow behind my Melbourne 26a. Waiting for some parts and hope to be ready to go soon. Reviewed the Jeep manual and don't think the key needs to be in the ignition as there is no steering lock from model year 2009 and newer. I think I got that right, but let me know if I am missing something. Good luck and safe travels!
Just put the transfer case in neutral, trans in park and remove the key. You are good to go.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #25

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick8 View Post
Is there a reason no one has replied with a Demco KarKaddy or the like?

Did that for a couple months and then went to 4-down towing. Got tired very quickly of lying under the front of a vehicle hooking up straps and chains.

Also, as previously stated, then one has to find a place to store the tow dolly at your campsite.
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #26

Very interesting and timely conversation. Thank you all for taking the time to reply. We are currently in the market for a Seneca and that has brought me to this site. We currently tow a trailer and if moving to a Seneca our thoughts are to tow our Chrysler Town and Country on a front 2 wheel up dolly. For us, this gives us a vehicle to use at locations, a roof for Kayaks and a hitch for the bike rack. Currently the kayaks are on top of the truck and the bikes are on the back of the trailer. We have felt the Town and Country is a good choice because of the front wheel drive, off the ground on the dolly, and an interior that could be used for storage and hauling stuff in, as long as we don't exceed capacities. Also, we already own it.
Please, opinions? Where am I wrong in my thoughts?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #27

If you are considering a newer Seneca I think you will be fine, so long as your rig isn't loaded to the max gross weight chassis weight. My 2014 has a GVWR of 28,000 and a GCWR of 33,000. That means if I loaded it to max I only have 5,000 left for towed vehicle. With the van AND a dolly you would be close to maximum IMHO. However - I can tell you I have never loaded my Seneca to the point I was near gross. I had full fuel, propane, and even water, along with provisions, clothes, toys, etc. I was still 2,000 pounds under the gross.

I haven't seen too many vans being towed, but there isn't any reason I can see you would not be able to do what you describe. Please just make sure you get a dolly with adequate brakes, because your towed combination will really "push" if you don't.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #28

Robbbyr,

Thank you for the response. I've looked in to the Dolly with brakes and feel comfortable with that part of the equation. Your explanation was what I was looking for.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
Old 08-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #29

Towing Vehicle

I have a Tow Master tow dolly and a Ford C-Max. This keeps the total towing package under 5000 lbs. (Tow dolly (600) C-max(3600)) Because the C-max is front-wheel drive, I drive it on the tow dolly, put it in park, strap the front wheels to the dolly and I am ready to travel. I don't have to worry about the car battery, transfer case, fuses or any of those other issues that flat towing can cause. The tow dolly is simple and easy to use and I can quickly load and unload my car.

Mark
2016 Red Hawk
2013 Ford C-Max
Markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #30

Mark,
Thank you, a great example.

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS