Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #31

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any way to vent some of that heat from the cab? Would cracking a window open just a bit be a help?

After looking at the reviews for the HeatShield brand of sunshades, I think we are going to order those. Next up, I need to find a thread on what appears to be a weak fridge . . . . oh darn.

Kathleen

Livin' and lovin' Life!
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any way to vent some of that heat from the cab? Would cracking a window open just a bit be a help?

After looking at the reviews for the HeatShield brand of sunshades, I think we are going to order those. Next up, I need to find a thread on what appears to be a weak fridge . . . . oh darn.

Kathleen
As long as the cab is hotter than the outside air, you can vent for a short time. But it's best not to let it get hot in the first place. Much harder to bring down inside temps than to keep them down. When it's hot, the first thing I do is run the roof ac with the generator an hour before arriving to begin cooling down the box. First thing I do when arriving is shut down the AC, then the generator while plugging the unit in to shore power. Wait about 30-60 seconds and re-start the AC while it's still cool inside, and you don't have to vent.

When it's really hot, the windows are the highest point of heat transfer because the sun shines right through them. Your window shades do little or nothing to stop it. I put reflectix material in all windows upon arrival. You would be surprised how cool a single AC unit can keep a large RV when you do that.

I doubt you will find reflectix cut specifically for your windows. I would just buy a 25 ft roll of it at Home Depot or Lowes and cut to fit. That's what I have done with my last two RVs for our summer trips to the Colorado River, where it's routinely 110 degrees and humid. Don't forget any skylights and roof vents.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #33

PS: If you don't cover the windows with an insulation like reflectix, you may never see it get cool inside on a really hot day.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #34

I keep reading about this topic, there IS a solution that helps a great deal:

Window RV Blockers

Pick your size, do the install, done. It helps cut down on the heat transfer from the windows to the coach a great deal by blocking the UV from the sun.

As previously mentioned by blocking the UV heat transfer from the cab, imagine how much better off you'd be if you could do the same for your coach windows w/o the ugly reflectix making your rig look like a space-age cave?

Try them; you'll probably like them. I love mine - I won't camp in the sun w/o them.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I keep reading about this topic, there IS a solution that helps a great deal:

Window RV Blockers

Pick your size, do the install, done. It helps cut down on the heat transfer from the windows to the coach a great deal by blocking the UV from the sun.

As previously mentioned by blocking the UV heat transfer from the cab, imagine how much better off you'd be if you could do the same for your coach windows w/o the ugly reflectix making your rig look like a space-age cave?

Try them; you'll probably like them. I love mine - I won't camp in the sun w/o them.
That's a good solution, albeit just a bit expensive. The trick is to keep the glass cool and keep the sun from heating up whatever is inside the window. On a 100 degree day, that glass can be 140 or 150 degrees, which radiates inside. The fabrics and surfaces inside the window can be almost that hot, and it all just radiates into the space you're trying to keep in the 70s.

I once tried putting the reflectix on the outside of my trailer windows with velcro. But it got so hot, it melted the adhesive on the velcro, the breeze blew the covers off, and left nothing but a big gooey mess around the window frame. These look more substantial.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
I once tried putting the reflectix on the outside of my trailer windows with velcro. But it got so hot, it melted the adhesive on the velcro, the breeze blew the covers off, and left nothing but a big gooey mess around the window frame. These look more substantial.
LOL - That sounds so like something I would have tried. Ahhhh, the beauty of the forums. Lots of info and much of it might save us from ourselves.

Kathleen
Livin' and lovin' Life!
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #37

Some of us learn by reading books/blogs. Some of us learn from the experiences of others. But some of us gotta pee on that electrified fence for ourselves.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #38

The covers aren't cheap; that's true. Of course if they WERE cheaper I'd probably complain they were cheaply made and didn't work !

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post

Kathleen
What we have done with the hot cab area is cover the windshield and side windows with an Adco Polar white vinyl cover, reflective foil inside the windshield, factory curtain after that, then hang a curtain off the cab over to trap the heat in the cab...also have lifted the engine hood when first parked to allow the engine heat to vent outside.
Outside window awnings can keep windows shaded, but costly.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:10 AM   #40

Lifting the engine hood when first parked, what a brilliant idea! I will be doing that from now on.

Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake

tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote